Pale crushed malt for Maris Otter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, I've been re-reading Dave Line's book from 1977/79 copy of his recipes. And before I fire the hole on buying my own grains etc. Perhaps Ankou can answer me this best but feel free to have your say. It seems throughout this book, he favours Pale crushed malt above any other. Is there a reason for this? I would like to understand why? Some of the recipes also seem inconsistent. I'd like to know why this is the case also. Can I substitute the pale malt with maris otter? If not why not? Does anyone else find some inconsistencies with the recipies in this book 'All the beers you can buy ' aka 1977 edition. I'd just like to be certain before I buy £100 or so of necessary ingredients and then only to find there's a F' up in the final brew after the mash and fermentation. Cheers ;) PS er advantage of pale malt over maris otter, if there is one, I would be grateful for an answer on this one too. Cheers. =)

There seems to be a running theme through this book. Was Pale Crushed Malt the Chic sorta thing of the time and the seventies was susceptible of lack of ideas / tech and forward thinking of the time? Everything in this book is pale crushed malt errrr

Maris Otter is a pale ale malt, so I would not even call it a substitute. Maris Otter has some specific qualities that will impart on the final beer which many find pleasant: it's more malty and has some bread like biscuit flavours.

I buy my base malts in bulk (25kg) so I tend to buy Maris Otter or Golden Promise instead of generic Pale ale malt and just use it for my beers that call for a pale malt until I run out. The same for pilsner, I prefer Barke or Bohemian floor malted over generic pilsner malt.

Last edited:
Back