pan size help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
i have Been looking for a good pan that is big enough to do a 2 gallon brew in , I found a pan online that is 14L stainless steal and strong , a lot of pans over 13L feel like tin cans and wobble when full , I guess if your on a budget that is fine but i don't feel they would last long .

Here is a pic
708AE742-E325-4003-9A0F-EF46D6CE40FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C937AB2-4681-44CD-A55A-315A139749B1.jpeg
    7C937AB2-4681-44CD-A55A-315A139749B1.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 42
I use this one here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019OKBGK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its not the best, but it wasn’t bad for the price point, one thing that I do think is worth considering is getting a bigger pan than you actually need, I do 9-11L batches and rarely exceed 15L in this 20L pain but reduces the risk of boil over.

One other factors to consider is what volume of liquid your stove can maintain a rolling boil on as my one struggles above about 16L.

Last edited:
One other factors to consider is what volume of liquid your stove can maintain a rolling boil on as my one struggles above about 16L.
Could you use one a propane cylinder and one of those burners you see people using at food markets? I guess you would have to boil outside though…

1625944570759.png

Hi Gerry this is what it is £26-49p
Arian Gastro Large Deep Stainless Steel Induction Stock Pot Casserole Stockpot (21 Litre)
It is suitable for gas, and electric hobs
I was looking for it on Amazon earlier and could not find it but shall give it a try now... cheers.

I remember last time I was in Wing Yip (the really big one near Staples Corner) they had some ma-hoo-sive cooking pots in the catering supplies bit … can’t remember whether they had stainless ones or whether they were all Alu though

Could you use one a propane cylinder and one of those burners you see people using at food markets? I guess you would have to boil outside though…

View attachment 50660
I did consider switching to a propane burner but as you say the downside of this is you have to brew outside fine in the summer, but when it’s pouring down it’s rather nice to be able to brew inside in the warm.

As a 9L batch typically lasts me 3-4 weeks I don’t have a huge incentive to scale up. However the fact that you can get things like this fairly easily is a good reason to get a bigger pot than you need as it’s always possible to scale up if needed.

I made a good few successful brews in a 9l pot then topped up to 23 litres in fv

Back