Pandemic deliveries just not cutting it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh deliveries!!!!

I‘m having trouble with consistency from Royal Mail. It seems they still charge for the 48hr service but don’t really honour it with any commitment. The small stuff gets through quicker than the larger items which generally appear on a Saturday. The other couriers seem to offer a tracking service although it’s mostly recognised as ‘Despatched’ and rarely can I see if it’s ‘out for delivery’ or ‘in transit’ and then suddenly it turns up.
I have to admit though DPD and Hermes have been pretty good in the last few months for me. We seem to have a regular driver who usually leave our parcel in a safe place which can also be selected online. One complaint I’ve noticed is that the delivery services are over-loaded. After speaking to our postman I was told that to combat this problem Royal Mail are delivering only parcels on a Saturday. Where as the other couriers are paid per package and as such are loving the extra income.

Ahh deliveries!!!!

I‘m having trouble with consistency from Royal Mail. It seems they still charge for the 48hr service but don’t really honour it with any commitment. The small stuff gets through quicker than the larger items which generally appear on a Saturday. The other couriers seem to offer a tracking service although it’s mostly recognised as ‘Despatched’ and rarely can I see if it’s ‘out for delivery’ or ‘in transit’ and then suddenly it turns up.
I have to admit though DPD and Hermes have been pretty good in the last few months for me. We seem to have a regular driver who usually leave our parcel in a safe place which can also be selected online. One complaint I’ve noticed is that the delivery services are over-loaded. After speaking to our postman I was told that to combat this problem Royal Mail are delivering only parcels on a Saturday. Where as the other couriers are paid per package and as such are loving the extra income.
I know a few people who work for Parcel Force and they are all self employed and are all payed by parcel and because of this they all have their designated area,are known to their customers and therefore take care and pride in their work as this is their job and their supervisor don't kindly to complaints.

I know a few people who work for Parcel Force and they are all self employed and are all payed by parcel and because of this they all have their designated area,are known to their customers and therefore take care and pride in their work as this is their job and their supervisor don't kindly to complaints.

I very rarely have deliveries from parcel force, as such I never mentioned them.

As it's been pretty much impossible to get suppliers from my usual HB sources I had to order DME from wilkos they have light and medium only - and I bought a winter ale kit - rude not to.

As it's been pretty much impossible to get suppliers from my usual HB sources I had to order DME from wilkos they have light and medium only - and I bought a winter ale kit - rude not to.

Is that just because they're having demand/stock issues? or is that a delivery issue ?

Had a missed delivery from DPD this morning no knock no door bell but a note and text. This was a replacement for last weeks delivery where two 5kg bands of malt had burst open and was all over the cardboard box. Same delivery company DPD. Contacted GEB and sent pictures and they were great and sent replacements. The problem is the delivery company.

Had a missed delivery from DPD this morning no knock no door bell but a note and text. This was a replacement for last weeks delivery where two 5kg bands of malt had burst open and was all over the cardboard box. Same delivery company DPD. Contacted GEB and sent pictures and they were great and sent replacements. The problem is the delivery company.
I can only praise DPD. Ordered from the malt miller Monday evening last week got a text from DPD early Wednesday saying they would deliver between 10.45 and 11.45 that morning and they delivered at 10.55. Never had a problem with them, can't fault them. You may have got a rogue driver.

You maybe surprised to hear that its not your driver at fault but possibly some equipment they have at their distribution centre which is causing the issue and I did hear that from a reliable source though not sure what type or depot it's in.

bags of malt had burst open and was all over the cardboard box
I had the same happen with DPD last week, ordered some kits and DME opened the box and DME on the inside. I thought that it was a tiny amount, taped up the bag and weighed it and it was still over 1kg.

The guy at GEB said that DPD were storing the pallets too high without racking and the weight of the above pallets caused the two bags to burst.

Just had two Beerworks kits delivered. One had the bag of glucose pierced, didn't realise this until I pulled it out and made the kitchen look like Santa's grotto. The other kit was mostly OK but the bag of citra lost its vacuum. Neither the biggest deal in the world, but annoying that I'll have to go put tomorrow to buy more brew sugar or malt.

I hear from both my nearest home brew shops that there has been a takeover by Bevie of Ritchie products which is causing problems. I am not on Facebook but believe Dark Rock of Dudley has posted an explanation on that site which might cast light on all this.n

I hear from both my nearest home brew shops that there has been a takeover by Bevie of Ritchie products which is causing problems. I am not on Facebook but believe Dark Rock of Dudley has posted an explanation on that site which might cast light on all this.n
Sorry not very clear and I meant supply problems. One LHBS is sold out of most kits due to online sales and the other one still has quite a few but cannot get hold of new stock. I had his last bag of brew enhancer off him yesterday. He explained the Bevie business to me which I did not fully follow but as mentioned above a written explanation is available.

Latest posts

Back