PANIC BREWING!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did you add the sugar? During the boil? In the FV like a kit?
Bum! - I don't know and I didn't make a note. That means that maybe the sugar did invert in the boil so it means I can say you're definitely safe to use sugar in the boil at fairly high percentages but can't totally confirm it's the same adding it after. But that means I've got another experiment to do. Rah!

So when I test inverted vs non-inverted I'll make sure the sugar goes in after it's cooled so the possibility of invertase production will be a factor. I'm thinking maybe it won't because of the thing I did a few months ago where I thought the cider thing was confirmed when I took a sample before fermentation had completed and it was mad appley, then just 2 days later nothing.

I'd better start planning this beastie. Again a simple beer to provide no shelter.

That test beer my mate Rob gave a 7 to and preferred it to the full grain. It was better than the Doom Bar clone I did for him, and that was better than real Doom Bar.

This is the first time in 4 years I don't have a drop of home brew, had a brief spell of no brewing activity, by no means is this comparible to the real crisis we are in, but this will never happen again. luckily bought a festival kit and have a pre crushed all grain kit that will be on tomorrow. yours faithfully Plonker.

You're not on your own pal. I around 30 bottles and a bit of a keg and enough bits to get a couple of low abv brews on. In contemplating ordering a few kits but unsure if it's worth it incase they don't come...

I recently joined the Hop Club from Dark Farm, they had an offer of an amber ale as part of their opening offer, I'm still waiting on delivery at the moment. I do have a stove top kit from a nephew (Punk IPA) from Christmas, and a Saison from BrewUK, which will have to be done in the Brew Garage on my 'Heath Robinson RIMS' set up....

The world has gone mad!!
I have just spent days trying to order kits. I finally found somewhere taking orders, but have been told it will be well over a week until I receive it.
Luckily I have just kegged up an amber ale and porter, or I would be completely stuffed.
If....I.... can...… just ...…… make......…. it …......last!

I'm always in a panic. I brew as much as I can in case I can't get ingredients from the UK/IE after transition and then I drink it as fast as I can in case the world ends and I've wasted it.
A thought that has been worrying me is the nature of our beer- cask beer. It doesn't keep like bottled or kegged and if the pubs are closed there's going to be a lot of wastage and a lot of smaller breweries are going to have to stop brewing if they don't have kegging or bottling plants. I'm tempted to come and help drink our way out of this horror story.
I'm a bit late to the table on this one, but regardless this is a great post & strategy!

a local brewery had special deals on 1/2 barrels of beer because of beer that was meant for now closed pubs, unfortunately totally impractical for your average joe to make use of the deal due to weight and volume of product :rolleyes:

ordered various malts extract dried yeast and some saaz from brewuk on Tuesday. They did it would be a week or so which is ok as I have a 10%+ beer in the fv at the mo. I'll have enough supplies for 3 brews which is just as well 'cos ive only got 100 bottles left down the shed. 😭

Latest posts

Back