Panic Buying

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I run out of petrol then I don't use my car. Is it the end of the world, no. Will the kids get to school and me do my job, yes. No issue for me.

I do less than 5K miles a year and the car was brimmed the other day so a tank should last me 6 weeks?

If I run out of petrol then I don't use my car. Is it the end of the world, no. Will the kids get to school and me do my job, yes. No issue for me.

If you are close enough to work to walk/cycle or be on a bus route that's fine a lot of us are not so lucky so depend on our cars, i am hoping common sense prevails and once the tankers have stocked up the stations again these selfish twats realise there is enough fuel and things go back to normal.

If you are close enough to work to walk/cycle or be on a bus route that's fine a lot of us are not so lucky so depend on our cars, i am hoping common sense prevails and once the tankers have stocked up the stations again these selfish twats realise there is enough fuel and things go back to normal.
16 mile each way. Close enough to cycle but no buses. If there is no fuel then it's not my fault so I can't go to work.

Its one of those rock and hard place situations, do we who run 2010 and earlier cars go with the flow and use E10 even though they said they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't harm the car or do we pay extra to use E5 with a little higher octane rating, i chose the latter i don't trust any government.

MSM should be held responsible for this kind of stoking up doom. They surely knew what the effect would be when the gullible sheeple read the MSM. Well once tanks are full the demand should drop off and you'd be able to waltz into a filling station.

Well my missus went to put some juice in her mota a couple of hours ago she got straight in and out, no problem. Mind you, this place is so backwards that most folk's primary mode of transport after walking, is a hoop and a stick.

Well my missus went to put some juice in her mota a couple of hours ago she got straight in and out, no problem. Mind you, this place is so backwards that most folk's primary mode of transport after walking, is a hoop and a stick.

With luck all the selfish idiots having wasted an hour of their lives queuing have got their £20's worth of fuel and have gone home leaving the rest of us to carry on as normal.

The government and media are once again to blame here for horrific messaging.

Faced with the following options.... 1) Say nothing. Quietly and proactively attempt to head off any potential issues. No one changes their habits on account of having no reason to do so. 2) Despite very recent experience of the colossal stupidity of the British public at large, come out and give it "NO REASON TO PANIC" which leads to 2 possibilities. The absolute moonshot best case is that no one responds and the situation remains as in option 1. Or, with staggering predictability, idiots begin to idiot all over the country, compounding a potential problem into a very real one for which we lack contingency.

Our government and media select option 2. The same option that led us to a toilet roll shortage in the face of a respiratory infection.

When nature eventually scrubs us from the face of this earth, it will be a tough case to make that we didn't deserve it

E5 is 5% ethonal, E10 is 10% ethanol, from what I've been told is :- ethanol eats/corrodes the fuel pipes, this is why they're covering their arses by saying what they say. Just fill up 50-50. Those with petrol lawnmowers and strimmers just make sure you store them empty over winter or with something that preserves the fuel. Even with E5 my strimmers pipes corroded.

It’s usually not corrosion with modern unleaded petrol in your baby 4 stroke engines - it’s that the petrol oxidises and forms a gummy residue that clogs up carburettors or other works in the engine.

You can buy stabilisers that help, but at the least don’t store your lawn mower with fuel in it over winter - run it until empty.

I don’t get through much, so I buy Aspen alkalyte petrol from a local garden centre, which burns very cleanly and takes a decade to go off, but (from memory) costs 3x by volume compared to E5/E10. It’s cheaper and less hassle than the mechanical issues it causes otherwise.

B264CC98-51F3-4A4F-BD6B-FFE9E70983AB.jpeg

It’s usually not corrosion with modern unleaded petrol in your baby 4 stroke engines - it’s that the petrol oxidises and forms a gummy residue that clogs up carburettors or other works in the engine.

That may be the case but its the first time i have read that other damage is listed in the quotes below.
My car is pre 2011 at the point they say all cars can run on it, the government check site says it can run on it but that site also says they take no responsibility if cars are damaged by the fuel, being an old cynic i decided to run mine om Shell V-Power (£5) its a little dearer but it has additives which clean the fuel system and engine, people will say i am wasting my money but i say i would rather spend an extra £4 per tank than have to replace the engine if this stuff does damage it.
Another point made in one of the forums is you don't know what parts have been replaced on the car so no guarantee even if they say your car cab use it it will not damage it.

E10 thread - E10 fuel.

Owners of a number of VW Golfs and other models built as recently as 2004 are also being advised to not to switch to E10 petrol.
However, many cars registered prior to 2002 shouldn’t use E10 as seals, plastics and metals may be damaged by its corrosive properties if used exclusively over longer periods. It’s vital that anyone with an older vehicle gets the message about the switch otherwise they could end up with a big repair bill.”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...k-before-you-fill-up-it-can-damage-older-cars

I don’t do many miles as I walk to work and can walk to the shops. I happened to need diesel on Thursday so filled the tank. Feeling a little smug as that will probably last me until Christmas.

I can’t be bothered with hassle.

I haven't been near a garage today are they still queuing where you live?
Just driven from my home in Disley to Liverpool and had to take the scenic route due to the M62 being closed. Every petrol station was either closed due to no fuel or had a massive queue outside. Humans are a funny lot 🤦‍♂️. Fortunately my Kodiaq returned an impressive 52mpg en route a
so I'll not need to fill up for a week or so hopefully it'll have calmed down by then!

Back