Panic Buying

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filled up today. Tesco. 12 pumps. 1 other car. 1.30pm. Simples.

The garages here are still busy but not as bad as last weekend, most have run out of at least one fuel many have only one so people are going from one to another trying to get some fuel, they keep saying there is plenty of fuel well that's fine its getting it to the pumps that is still the problem.

Things are not getting much better here they are not queuing down the road but garages are still very busy and many don't have all fuels, and to add fuel to the fire -

Essar Oil staff at Stanlow Refinery set for strike action.

Further talks are scheduled in the industrial dispute with Essar over pay, pensions and unpaid bonuses

Employees at Essar's Stanlow Refinery have voted in favour of industrial action.

According to trade union Unite, over 400 workers based at the Ellesmere Port refinery and who are members of the union took part in a ballot for strike action over pay, pensions and unpaid bonuses.

The result of the ballot was announced on Wednesday (September 29), and revealed that 98 per cent of those who took part were in favour of industrial action at the refinery, which is owned by Essar Oil UK.

Union members say they are in dispute on three central issues: failure of the company to honour the 2019 signed pay agreement, the failure of the company to pay the workers a bonus in 2019/20 and 2020/21 and the proposed closure of the final salary pension scheme.

The company has now agreed to begin talks to resolve the dispute, with Unite saying the company has agreed to delay the proposed closure of the pension scheme.

Read more of the top stories from across Cheshire here.

Last edited:
One empty, although there were still people queueing. The other with massive queues and lots of swearing.

I know people say if they put a £30 limit on fuel (as some garages have) it will cause more panic buying but i think we are well past that its the only way to make sure everyone can get some obviously the greedy gits will go round all the garages until their tank is full but i think the majority would only buy what they need.

I
I know people say if they put a £30 limit on fuel (as some garages have) it will cause more panic buying but i think we are well past that its the only way to make sure everyone can get some obviously the greedy gits will go round all the garages until their tank is full but i think the majority would only buy what they need.
I think that a better policy would be to charge, for example, a £40 minimum sale. That would go some way towards deterring those who drive around just putting in a few quids worth and would also make it easier for those with a genuine need.

I think that a better policy would be to charge, for example, a £40 minimum sale. That would go some way towards deterring those who drive around just putting in a few quids worth and would also make it easier for those with a genuine need.

That would punish those on low pay who may only be able to put a few pounds in a every month.

Maybe we should get this guy to go around to people who won't act respectfully toward others.
1633030865051.png

@Chippy_Tea have you been removing posts from this thread? If so why, please?

Yes, the thread went totally off topic and as there were too many posts and they went off on various topics I couldn't move them to a new single thread as I usually do.

Last edited:
Yes, the thread went totally off topic and as there were too many posts and they went off on various topics I couldn't move them to a new single thread as I usually do.
Funny how 'Tory bashing' is routinely considered off topic yet you appear to allow comments about the left to remain. I'm fed up of your obvious political bias influencing your moderation. I'm sorry but you start 90% of the threads that go 'off topic'. I don't want to read or engage in this nonsense any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would punish those on low pay who may only be able to put a few pounds in a every month.
Well if they can only afford to put a few pounds in every month, then they are obviously not driving much anyway.

Funny how 'Tory bashing' is routinely considered off topic yet you appear to allow comments about the left to remain. I'm fed up of your obvious political bias influencing your moderation. I'm sorry but you start 90% of the threads that go 'off topic'. I don't want to read or engage in this nonsense any more.

I have no political bias I have said in the snug I could not vote labour with this guy at the helm and I will never vote Tory.
As I said I am trying to keep the thread on topic especially now a strike action at the refinery will mean this is likely to go on for some weeks, if you want to open a thread about how the government have handled panic buying feel free that will help keep this one on topic.

Last edited:
Well if they can only afford to put a few pounds in every month, then they are obviously not driving much anyway.

If they introduce a £40 limit those that may only spend £20 a month and cannot afford to put more in would be unfairly punished.

Last edited:
Our local Tesco petrol station had a queue 20 cars long by 5:50am this morning.

A £40 limit on fuel logically can't affect someone who never reaches the limit.

That would be like Tesco limiting me to a £300 shop, it's not an amount we could ever spend there in one go anyway.

Last edited:
I have no political bias I have said in the snug I could not vote labour with this guy at the helm and I will never vote Tory.
As I said I am trying to keep the thread on topic especially now a strike action at the refinery will mean this is likely to go on for some weeks, if you want to open a thread about how the government have handled panic buying feel free that will help keep this one on topic.
No thanks. I'm ignoring the snug and the constant drip drip of caustic threads that you start

No thanks. I'm ignoring the snug and the constant drip drip of caustic threads that you start

You may not see this as you have just said you are now ignoring the snug but just in case you cannot resist the temptation to pop in i will leave this here -

Its a shame you didn't have the self control to ignore all of those caustic threads i started if you had we wouldn't be having this conversation now. ;)

Back