Paranoid about fermentation temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinMesa

Reaction score
Hey all. So as it's my first go am being very "observant" with my FV.

Have a basic 10 litre smash on using S-04.

Woke up this morning, less than 30hrs after adding yeast and temp in FV up to 20 maybe 21C bubbling quite frequently.

Panicked a bit and moved to cooler room and over the day is now about 18C with a slower bubble. Has been about 17C all day.

How critical are temps within a few degrees?

Your fine for S04 as it will probably be good up to 24° and what your getting is a rise in the internal temperature as the yeast is working. I ferment at 19-20 though its controlled most of the time so don't worry about it.
I have a brew wrapped in a blanket in the garage as my brew fridge is busy with a lager and it got up to 23°.

Does stable temperature matter?
It's normally ideal but with most yeasts you can get away with murder, trouble is with s-04 is that if there's a temperature drop it can drop out early and leave you with a stuck ferment. Happened to me and many others so many times.

But don't worry about it too much.

Does stable temperature matter?

I wouldn't want a regular +/- four degree swing but a little isn't going to hurt.

S-04 gets a little fruity when it gets warmer. In a "SMASH" (Single Malt And Single Hop) beer a little fruitiness from the yeast wouldn't be a bad thing.

I've run S-04 down to 16 before. It gets slow but it keeps going.

Back