Parsnip wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my first, ever parsnip wine!

26th October, 2019
2 kg parsnips washed, not peeled - sliced
1 kg raisins, chopped
zest of one lemon
1 lemon sliced
1 kg sugar
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp citric acid

Boil parsnips for 15 minutes; strain but don't squeeze.

Cover raisins and lemon in water and boil for 5 mins.
Strain and squeeze. Rescue the lemon slices.

Add lemon zest, slices and sugar.

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes until it foams - sign of sugar turning to syrup.

Remove lemon slices (keep as candied fruit)

Add the syrup to the parsnip liquor.

Cool and add the yeast etc.

OG 1.092
FG 1.002
ABV 11.8%

racked off and stabilised 19th November
fined on 20th November
bottled on 21st November

And the candied lemon was a real bonus!

I wonder if I should have used some amylase as it's a little sweet?

Attachments

• Parsnip wine.jpg
    Parsnip wine.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I made a vast quantity of parsnip wine some years ago. It certainly improves for keeping a couple of years. I might even have a bottle or two left in the darkest recesses of the garage (guarded by Aragog and his mates).

I made a vast quantity of parsnip wine some years ago. It certainly improves for keeping a couple of years. I might even have a bottle or two left in the darkest recesses of the garage (guarded by Aragog and his mates).
Was it dry, medium or sweet? I don't think I'll age this, I want to try again and hope its final SG is lower. I've ordered some amylase as I suspect there were some unfermentables in my wort.

Was it dry, medium or sweet? I don't think I'll age this, I want to try again and hope its final SG is lower. I've ordered some amylase as I suspect there were some unfermentables in my wort.
Parsnips have a sort of cloying sweetness about them anyway, which I don't mind. I guess it was medium dry. I made three gallons using this recipe in 2010 (I had an allotment, then). I remember it tasted quite earthy when fresh, but that mellowed nicely after a year or so.
https://www.yobrew.co.uk/parsnip.php

What weight of raisins did you use?
I see the recipe page at yobrew doesn't make a lot of sense any more. Maybe it has been corrupted. Here's my recipe for 4 gallons (not 3 as I said above).
16lb Parsnips
2lb Raisins
4 Lemons
12lb Sugar
(from my notes)
Raisins rinsed and chopped as prescribed, but not juiced- added to the parsnips as they came to the boil. Ignored the instruction to cook until parsnips tender and then run off and boil for 45 mins. Instead, cooked till tender and allowed to cool, then run off. Juice and zest of lemons added towards end of boil. Sugar added towards end of boil. When cool, pectic enzyme, Champagne yeast and nutrient. After a month, more nutrient added. 4½ gallons collected, OG 1123.
Note on bottling "delicious stuff!"

Hi kelper
Amylase would help to give a "clear" wine and IN THEORY the natural amylase in your mouth could give a slightly sweet note.
But i think in this case the sweetness is more down to your high finishing gravity.

Back