Part Grain Brewing Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parpot

Regular.
Reaction score
I have only ever done LME kits and am looking to start the above. Could someone please explain the process and what additional kit I will need?
Thanks in anticipation Jeff

I never bought part grain kits,just sort of made my own up...you sub malt extract with some base malt and you can also steep some special malt like crystal for colour and flavours.
All I needed extra was a 15 litre pot and a grain bag.
The malt was mashed in the bag then sparged through with hot water,then boil the wort and add hops.

As clint mentioned, you will need to wrap it up in something, towel blanket etc.They are fairly thin walled and will lose heat over the course of your mash.

As clint mentioned, you will need to wrap it up in something, towel blanket etc.They are fairly thin walled and will lose heat over the course of your mash.

I'm thinking of doing the DARK ROCK TRIBUTE TO OLD SPECKLED HEN, but never done a part grain before. How long does the mash take? What's to stop the blanket/towel catching fire? Sorry if that's a stupid question

I'm thinking of doing the DARK ROCK TRIBUTE TO OLD SPECKLED HEN, but never done a part grain before. How long does the mash take? What's to stop the blanket/towel catching fire? Sorry if that's a stupid question
The grain mash took 30 minutes on our Kitchen Gas ring. The mash & malt Boil took 60 mins at 100degrees rolling boil, at no point did I need any towels or anything to wrap the pot as it kept its boiling temp fine, the grain was a bit more work as it has to be kept at 65 degrees so it was just a case of heat on and off every 5 minutes or so, all vey easy.

Once you have heated your water up, think it tells you to 67c? then you add the muslin bag of grains take the pot off your heat source and wrap the pot up to stop any heat loss.You can also put the pot in the oven to keep it warm and stop any heat loss.

Do not wrap the pot up while on your heat source.

Once you have heated your water up, think it tells you to 67c? then you add the muslin bag of grains take the pot off your heat source and wrap the pot up to stop any heat loss.You can also put the pot in the oven to keep it warm and stop any heat loss.

Do not wrap the pot up while on your heat source.
Thats interesting as my last brew said to keep it on the heat and adjust the Temp with the heat source for 30 minutes!

You could look at Brewing Classic Styles book by Jamil Zainasheff and John F Palmer.

All the recipes in that book are LME and steeping grains. It also gives the all grain equivalent.

Yep 15l pot and a bag all you need to start

However I will warn you, this is the slippery slope you are about to embark on.

You will be buying sacks of grain and researching out door burners/ all in ones systems in the coming months

Latest posts

Back