Party protesters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it can only be a suspicion, Clint, as I guess that you have no real method of evaluating the truth. Neither do most of us. I don't. I spent all of my working life as a scientist - as a biologist working mainly on marine fisheries. I can tell you an awful lot about the population dynamics of molluscs and crustaceans - and it will all be based on hard-won facts laced with a very healthy dose of "well, we don't really know that yet, and probably never will unless more targeted research is done". Ask me about climate science, and I have no more expertise to offer than the person who delivers my groceries or empties my refuse bin.
I do know someone who really does possess some expertise, though. My daughter is a physicist, currently based in Australia and working on the dynamics of the Antarctic ice-cap. OK, you don't know me, and you may not believe what I post here - but I am utterly convinced that the research that she and her colleagues is doing is just as valid as my work (pretty low-level in my case!) on fisheries ever was. Big difference - no-one suggested that over-exploitation of fish was a "scam", just a lie that would go away and we could keep fishing stocks without any danger of extinction. Why? Because they couldn't possibly get away with it. The annihilation of herring, mackerel and cod stocks was there for all to see.
But, with climate change, you can get away with it. I have no doubt that the work of my daughter and her colleagues represents mankind's best evaluation of the present situation. But it is easy to criticise because it is not, and can never be, certain. What I ask myself, though, is this. If the best science available to mankind at the moment is overwhelmingly suggesting that we have a very serious problem here, then isn't it obviously time to take a step back and think? In particular, to think of the risk involved. If we change a lot of our industrial behaviour, it may cost societies a lot of money. If we then stabilise global warming, and all turns out well, it might have been worth it - we will still have a decent economy. If we do nothing, and the planet seriously warms up, then we're likely to be stuffed. The whole thing - the economy, civilisation as we know it, might well go t**s up. Why on earth risk it??
Great post clapa

Common sense: if you're somewhere for a limited amount of time, and there will be people needing that place after you left, would it be that radical to leave the place in the state as you entered it?

Hoppyland thanks for your easy to understand post!
I get that...over-fish,and we have no fish,leave them and the population regenerates.
With the climate argument,if true, I cannot understand the apparent lack of urgency from the powers that be...yes it's all about money...

With the climate argument,if true, I cannot understand the apparent lack of urgency from the powers that be...yes it's all about money...

And we've been on the brink of disaster for at least 40 years but nothing outside normal variation has changed. The train keeps-a-rollin'....

One side are saying if we don't change things within the next 10 years the planet is doomed the other are saying its just the earths natural climate change i think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Over the last 800,000 years, there have been natural cycles in the Earth’s climate. There have been ice ages and warmer interglacial periods. After the last ice age 20,000 years ago, average global temperature rose by about 3°C to 8°C, over a period of about 10,000 years.

We can link the rises in temperature over the last 200 years to rises in atmospheric CO2 levels. Rises in temperature are now well above the natural cycle of the last 800,000 years.

https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-...al-and-human-factors/a-natural-climate-cycle/

Still, just because we have a point of view does not make it right to throw a shindig that cost us tax payer hecknose how much in tax, and strain on the already overburdened public services, not to mention the loss in trading revenue by the local businesses. Easter is one of the few times a year us self employed types can make some decent money, yet those selfish T***S don't give two monkeys, most will get their salaries (or hand out from Mommy & Daddy) at the end of the month.

Still, just because we have a point of view does not make it right to throw a shindig that cost us tax payer hecknose how much in tax, and strain on the already overburdened public services, not to mention the loss in trading revenue by the local businesses. Easter is one of the few times a year us self employed types can make some decent money, yet those selfish T***S don't give two monkeys, most will get their salaries (or hand out from Mommy & Daddy) at the end of the month.
Just curious - but if you're located in Cornwall what the f*** has it got to do with you?
And if you don't like this - you're calling a friend of mine a t***s who is certainly not living off mummy and daddy or on salary or anything. Just doing her nit for what she believes in.

Easter is one of the few times a year us self employed types can make some decent money, yet those selfish T***S don't give two monkeys, most will get their salaries (or hand out from Mommy & Daddy) at the end of the month.

So people who are concerned about climate change shouldn't protest because it may cause a little inconvenience to others have you thought some of these that are inconvenienced may actually agree with them?

It always makes me laugh when the rail workers strike on busy times of the year and everyone calls them selfish twats because they have ruined the start of their holidays would the same people strike on the quietest days of the year if they were in the same position of course they wouldn't these people need to have a look at themselves and realise who the selfish twats actually are!

Last edited:
4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg

All this environmentalism, green living, anti-pollution stuff is all well and good and oh-so-righteous but it doesn't alter the fact that carbon dioxide has f*** all to do with temperature on earth. Why confuse matters? And the clueless protesters still need a damn good thrashing and a job.

Here in Australia we have coal powered electricity generators. Most are coming to the end of their life.
The Liberal (our version of Conservatives) are hell bent on building more. But no one wants to build them.
Banks won't touch them for investment. And power companies won't build them because Wind and Solar are cheaper.
The reason the Liberals want to build them is to help their coal mining mates out, who happen to donate a gazzilion $ to the Liberal party.
So as renewables are now cheaper the government (for the next few weeks) are removing subsidies on renewables, but giving subsidies to coal miners.
Going back 3 or 4 years the state government sold off a power station (to one of their mates) for a million dollars.
The company now say it's worth $147 million dollars but will close it in a couple of years as it's coming to it's end of life.
The federal government are trying to get them to keep it open, despite the fed's offering financial inducements to the state to sell it in the first place.
The power company want to close it and replace it with solar panels because it's cheaper & quicker than building a coal fired power station.

I'm not going out protesting about anything, but the sooner these Conservative dinosaurs are voted out the better.
They had one minister on the radio a while ago complaining wind farms were a blot on the landscape.
I wrote to him asking if he'd been up the Hunter Valley recently. I got no reply.
There's a couple of open cut coal mines. There's also pristine farming land used for dairy.
Apparently this is OK, but wind farms look ****.
r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Admittedly I'm ******...but why don't these "concerned" governments tell these industries to supply your products in XX years, pollution freef,or you're finished.....

All this environmentalism, green living, anti-pollution stuff is all well and good and oh-so-righteous but it doesn't alter the fact that carbon dioxide has f*** all to do with temperature on earth. Why confuse matters?

The Guardian.

Why do carbon dioxide emissions heat up the planet?
The temperature of the Earth depends on a balance between incoming energy from the Sun and the energy that bounces back into space. Carbon dioxide absorbs heat that would otherwise be lost to space. Some of this energy is re-emitted back to Earth, causing additional heating of the planet.

What are the major sources of carbon dioxide?
Most man-made carbon emissions come from burning fossil fuels for energy. In the UK, the biggest emitters are from transport and the domestic sectors, of which aviation is the fastest growing. Because of their varying chemical constituents, different fossil fuels produce different amounts of carbon dioxide. Coal produces most, then oil, and then gas.

Which country produces most carbon?
The US emits the most: 5,800 million tonnes every year. Next is China, over 3,000; Russia, over 2,000; Japan, 1,200; and India, 1,000 million tonnes. Other major emitters are Germany, 800; Canada, 600m; the UK, 500m; and Italy, 470m.

The Guardian is editorially communist, meaning we set our own agenda. Our journalism is free from commercial bias and not influenced by billionaire owners, politicians or shareholders. No one edits our editor. No one steers our opinion. This is important as it enables us to give a voice to those less heard, challenge the powerful and hold them to account. It’s what makes us different to so many others in the media, at a time when factual, honest reporting is critical.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/jun/19/observerfocus.climatechange

Last edited by a moderator:
I am under no illusion that there is something in the air (excuse the pun) with the state of the worlds climate. I'm not academically qualified to make any justified argument to support or refute the claims. (My Masters degree is in data comms)
My original point is about the method of protest. If these protesters and followers, believers are so adamant on this (climate extinction) point why are there no Green Party MPs? (or is there only 1 know?)
Possibly because the green parties full party politics does nothing to bolster the finances of the middle and richer classes. Yes, let's be clear about this, this is a 'protest of the privileged class' quote, Martin Daubney. which I happen to agree with.
He went on to state that, of all of the protesters he interviewed at the site 'it was evident that they were of middle upper class, and "obviously went to a better school than most of us".
Like I said in my OP, it's the manner in which they have conducted this selfish protest that's grating me and many others. If they want to protest go to Marble Arch and do it lawfully, or go hire a field to bang your drums in.

As for what it's got to do with me, well it's my country, my capitol city which I have a vested personal and professional interest in, but thanks for the almost comical neanderthal rebuke.
BTW what about the celebs that have flown in (Emma Thompson from LA) to offer support. Well how big was their carbon foot print...bloody Hippocrates!

Like I said in my OP, it's the manner in which they have conducted this selfish protest that's grating me and many others. If they want to protest go to Marble Arch and do it lawfully, or go hire a field to bang your drums in.

As i said in my earlier post about the rail strikers striking on busy days not quiet ones if they went to marble arch it wouldn't have made the news they wanted to get as many arrested as they could to get the maximum TV coverage and it worked.

I really don't get the point about class giving you more or less right to protest.

I don't agree with strike action as a method to get one's own way. In my past profession industrial action as been called many times, but I chose not to participate in disruptive action.

I don't agree with strike action as a method to get one's own way. In my past profession industrial action as been called many times, but I chose not to participate in disruptive action.

I had better leave it there if i was to post my thoughts after reading that i would be banned. aheadbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back