Patersbier - Water Profile

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning Home Brewers

I am considering a basic Patersbier for next brew but despite extensive googling cannot find many views on what an appropriate water profile might look like. In terms of recipe it will be Pilsner malt, Saaz & Mittlefruh for hopping and MJ47 Belgian Abbey Yeast. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Horners

Hi, I'm reading 'Brew like a Monk' currently and the only guidance they give on water profiles are below
Screenshot_20200407-142736.jpg

I brewed a Trappist single for the first time at the weekend, and the water profile I based my brew on was a Belgian blonde in Brewfather. Looks similar to what your planning
Screenshot_20200407-143634-01.jpeg

Hi, I'm reading 'Brew like a Monk' currently and the only guidance they give on water profiles are below
View attachment 24195
It's a great read, however this table is for information only and not for guidance on target profiles because (as I think SH makes the point in the book) these profiles are pre-treatment and so may be nothing like what the breweries use.

@Horners there isn't really an appropriate water profile other than what suits your aim. Do you want a crisp, dry finish or do you want a fuller, softer quality?

It's a great read, however this table is for information only and not for guidance on target profiles because (as I think SH makes the point in the book) these profiles are pre-treatment and so may be nothing like what the breweries use.

@Horners there isn't really an appropriate water profile other than what suits your aim. Do you want a crisp, dry finish or do you want a fuller, softer quality?
Good point. And good advice:hat:

I would say crisp and dry thanks Steve.

The missing bit of info from Brew Like A Monk is that adjustments are done in the mash, with food grade acid, gypsum or magnesium sulphate to lower the pH as required, rather than hitting a water profile.

This is what I used for my Rochefort based light, blonde beer:
Calcium (Ca)​
Magnesium (Mg)​
Natrium (Na)​
Chloride (Cl)​
Sulfaat (SO4)​
Cl/SO4​
HCO3-​

Back