Paypal scam warning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I received two emails this morning telling me my account has been suspended, i logged in to my PP account (not using the link in the email) and of course there is nothing wrong.

pppppp.jpg

@Chippy_Tea Who was the sender?

One, small clue is the intro - Dear Customer space comma. Incorrect punctuation. Another is that PayPal will address you by name.

I've had exactly the same over the last couple of days, luckily I knew it was a scam and didn't click on the link..........stay alert everyone.

I had a dodgy PayPal text a while back straight after buying something off eBay. The eBay purchase was fine.
The txt from a UK mobile number, asked me to click on a link etc...I blocked the number to see what would happen...I immediately had the same text from another UK mobile number...so they were trying a bit. I noted both numbers and contacted PayPal who were quite interested...

The wife got a recorded message on her mobile saying the BTInternet account was about to be disconnected due to unpaid bill, seeing as BT don't even have her mobile number it was obviously a scam.

@Chippy_Tea Who was the sender?

One, small clue is the intro - Dear Customer space comma. Incorrect punctuation. Another is that PayPal will address you by name.
And usually if you click on the sender’s name it’ll show the email address it’s come from and it’s usually some random email account (I have one in my junk folder from [email protected]) or if the scammer is clever it’ll be [email protected] or something - if it was genuine it would be “[email protected]” or something similar (I have a genuine PayPal email on my inbox which is from [email protected])

I get these types of scam emails all the time.

Same as @Clint , I had a dodgy text yesterday saying my PayPal account is suspended and to follow the link to validate my account. I logged in through the app and all was ok.

I had one yesterday relating to my Amazon account, but sent to a little used email address. :rolleyes:
I always try to redirect them to the spam action email address each major company usually has.
Amazon has one and so does Paypal if I remember correctly.

I received the same message as Chippy, and being a bit green clicked on the link. Luckily this triggered a warning from Firefox that it was unsafe, and I got an earful from my son when he heard what I had done!

The problem with ones like this is I can see myself cliking on it without thinking, I know it’s a scam and five seconds of thinking about it is enough but even so at two in the morning when you just see the subject line.

Worst ones though are the targeted ones, we see them a lot at work will receive an email supposedly from someone semi senior requesting an invoice for a few thousand I.e. enough to be worth their while but not enough that it would trigger a lot of internal controls. I have a whole pile of them saved at work to present to new department heads to explain this is why we need a physical signature to pay anything and cannot just take your request via email.

I get them all of the time to be honest, Netflix ones, ones for banks I've never used.... Happens when you have to put your email on a website and it gets harvested. Same email address was used on sites that got hacked a few times too (different sites), such fun changing passwords regularly, so these days I use a manager, and they're completely random and different nearly everywhere. lol My security software tells me which of my email addresses have been a victim of this too, fun reading. :laugh8:

If you haven't been on a website that's been hacked yet, you're new to the internet..... If you don't get regular phishing emails, and ones demanding bitcoin or they'll release the vids of you pleasuring yourself, do you even use email??? :tongue:

Just don't click links in emails, unless you just asked to change a password, or signed up for an account and need to activate it. lol

Oh yeah, and I regularly get billed for 100s of 1000s of dollars by a company for their accountancy services for my business, that I don't have..... lol

I had an account with John Lewis broadband (provided by Plus Net) and on a couple of occasions when I phoned to complain that my speeds were below those contracted for I received a call from someone saying that they were phoning because of a fault on my broadband. Long story short, I got caught out and assuming these people were from John Lewis let them in to my system, I did get suspicious after a couple of leading questions and ended up pulling the plug much to the annoyance of the w**ke** on the other end. That would have been the end of it, had not exactly the same situation occurred ( I phone to complain, lo and behold I get the call to say they are phoning because of the fault) over the next few months, so I phoned my provider to explain what had happened, but no real response or feedback.

So many scams around, seem to be increasing, getting to the stage where you have to read carefully and trust no one!

We now have a blocker on our phone which TalkTalk provide free of charge, when someone phones they have to give their name all we hear is a recorded message saying do you recognise this caller then you hear the name of the person and you can either accept the call, block the call once or permanently block the call it works a treat and its free.

I like to email them back and thank them for finally closing the $#/&**# account after all the hassle they put me through about closing it.

Got to find your fun where you can.

The scams are getting quite complex now, some a pretty convincing. If you're dealing with any company who claims they are 'investigating your bank', that's not true. They're a few steps away from getting you to transfer your savings into a secure account (definitely don't do that). Hang up, go online, report it to Action Fraud.

We now have a blocker on our phone which TalkTalk provide free of charge, when someone phones they have to give their name all we hear is a recorded message saying do you recognise this caller then you hear the name of the person and you can either accept the call, block the call once or permanently block the call it works a treat and its free.
When our cordless phone packed up we replaced it with a BT4600 Premier Nuisance call blocker. With 2 handsets and an answering machine it cost £55 from Currys, and is one of the best things I’ve ever bought.

Latest posts

Back