PB carbonation help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddynoob

Reaction score
Have just carbonated a batch of larger in a PB
With a co2 capsule on the lid
The first 3-4 pints came out as nearly all froth
Then about a week later still frothy but a bit flat
Any ideas

The reason I asked is that sometimes a leak in a seal in a top tap can cause foaming.
I don’t brew larger and have read PBs are not best for largers as they need higher pressure to achieve the right level of carbonation.
That being said I found that too high a pressure in the PB can cause foaming. The standard PB tap in my experience do produce foam if poured slowly.
I’m assuming you’ve chilled your larger to improve carbonation?

No pressure gauge on the PB either unless you have modded it. Did you prime the barrel before using the CO2 bulb ?

16 g of CO2 in a bulb not enough I don't think to carb 20 litres to 2.5 vols.

If you did prime and it's warm possible overcarbonation hence all the foam and then tastes flat once this settles as the fizz has been smashed out.
I find pressure barrel works well for up to half a dozen psi and real ales, lager is really tricky and needs good chill and good keg setup.

Or bottle it.

First time I have used a PB for carbonation
Didn’t know about priming the PB.
Added about 80g of sugar then used co2 capsule then left for 2 weeks
Poured it slow and fast both still the same
Used another co2 last night
Had a bit more fizz but still frothy
Will send a picture of the next one I have
Also I didn’t chill it.
It might have something to to with temperature as it’s in the shed and has been very hot this last week

You can look at this calculator to give you a rough idea of what you could have got with your priming
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
and this for general carbonation related to temperature.
Beer Carbonation Calculator

There is a formula for working out how much CO2 is needed in weight per unit of volume but I don't know where to find it.
This would tell you how many bulbs are needed to force carbonate a barrel. Trouble is to force carbonate quickly you need cold and high pressure
not sure that either of these possible with your shed and bulbs.

It's all about balance.

Also always suspect a leak with a PB until proven otherwise.

Note you did prime the PB with the 80g of sugar plus a bit of boost carbonation with the first bulb.
I suspect when you work it out it's a bit overcarbed and hence impossible to dispense without throth. Can you chill the barrel down? Milk bottles with water from freezer and then insulate it to keep the cold in. That will help.
Trouble is it's going to be hit and miss without a pressure gauge.

Last edited:
Will try and cool it and see if that does anything
Thanks for all the advice
Will keep you posted over the next few days

Got some fermenting in a fridge with a heater and thermostat
Had to leave the door open as temperature was hitting 25-28

Update with pics
Joust poured one and is full of froth
Let it stand about a minute and it’s flat
Is there anyway of getting a bit fizz back into it?

Attachments

• 5A3BF1DF-F883-45CA-9D05-0EFA5ADB866F.jpeg
    5A3BF1DF-F883-45CA-9D05-0EFA5ADB866F.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 118
  • B25762A4-24D5-42D0-8FF0-298489DA48DD.jpeg
    B25762A4-24D5-42D0-8FF0-298489DA48DD.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 112
You’ve obviously got carbonation from all the foam that’s being produced when you pour. I’m guessing you’ve also got a lot of pressure as well. Might be worth letting the pressure down a bit (don‘t top up with gas after you’ve poured) and see if the foaming reduces as the pressure reduces. I think after you’ve produced all that froth you’ve effectively degassed the larger making it flat.

I agree @Buffers brewery about overcarbed.

@Daddynoob Can you see the lid slightly bulging up it does if the pressure is high.

ALso you say temp 25-28 in fridge and you left door open. Is that F and you were wanting it warmer of fermenting and you were
leaving fridge door open to cool it?.

Sure the heater is off or not connected to the wrong socket on controller.

Get the lager as cold as possible and bleed some gas out if there's a prv on your barrel.
If there is plan to take it off and fit a corny ball lock gas post then you can put a pressure gauge on it in the future or a spunding valve.

Might put the PB in the fridge and switch it on when my other batch has finished fermenting in the fridge
Heater was unplugged when temperature was to high
I am fermenting another batch

thanks again

Was going to try and do something with the bottom half but it’s to small for a FV
This is how I have set the top part up then when I have bottled I put the shelve back in and use it for carbonation of the bottles

Attachments

• 28EB68DC-7F39-4F9C-91F0-695028132412.png
    28EB68DC-7F39-4F9C-91F0-695028132412.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 105
I love pressure barrels (and corny kegs!) but a pressure barrel really isn’t suitable for lagers. Lager really wants around 20psi, needs to be very cold, and because of the high carbonation needs a smooth-flowing delivery system. The best you can expect from a pressure barrel is 10psi and the taps used on PBs do whip up the beer on the way out. If you’re not chilling the PB in a fridge to about 5C then the frothing will be even worse.

I think for this batch chill the PB if you can and maybe pour the beer in a jug so you can then fill and top up your glass with less foam from the jug. Next time maybe use bottles for lager (or invest in a corny keg setup) and use the PB for beers suited to lower pressures - bitters, pale ales, stouts, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers for that
Will try and chill the PB
Was a experiment with the PB for carbonation as I wanted to utilise the PB rather than the bottles and have a few on the go at once

looks like I will have to stick to bottles

Latest posts

Back