PBW Alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. basically the same as PBW.

I've recently been using Malt Miller sodium per carbonate which is pretty cheap and works a treat, but at 1tsp per litre of water you use quite alot so not worked out if it is cheaper than PBW/Stellarclean in the long run.
I didn't use that much of the malt miller stuff, i think 3-4 tsp per 25 litre works well.

Unlike organic by-products of brewing, proteins, hops, etc.; beerstone doesn't clean easily with alkaline chemicals (soap, detergent, caustic, PBW). After a light scrub to remove organic residue, the cleaning agent of choice is an acid wash.
"Clean that Kettle - Beerstone"
You need acid to do a good job at removing beerstone.
I use citric acid, it's relatively cheap and can be found with canning supplies in the US.
I also sometimes use star-san that I have used for a batch. Instead of dumping it out I sweeten it, that is I dose it again making it double strength, and soak the FV or keg.

I use sodium perborate, only because I buy in bulk, safer to store than percarbonate which is unstable. Been a few near misses with home brewers in Australia with bulk percarbonate, can self ignite at higher temperature or if damp. (Chemical stability. May cause fire or explosion; strong oxidizer.)

Brewers friend has Oxalic acid in it. So do iceberg lettuce but I'd try the Brewers friend.
Yeap. So does rhubarb (don't eat the leaves!), Sorrel, and there is an LD50 for strawberries because of it!

Oxalic Acid is a lethal poison, but you'd have to eat a lot to stand any chance of committing suicide by eating strawberries!

I use soda crystals. Less than quid for a kilo from Tesco's. Great for getting yeast deposits out of bottles without scrubbing and harmless to stainless steel. Softens beer stone too but doesn't dissolve it.

Chemipro for cleaning kegs and FV's (good soak and then a hose pipe to clean)

Chemsan for sanitising

Pipeline original (purple) for all lines, beer engine and fawcets

All those are readily available and produce good results

Latest posts

Back