Peanut butter oatmeal stout??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Followed your advise and got the ebay stuff just picked it up from post office. I'm having problems with the ferment though stuck at 1.040 og was 1.090. Last night pitched a pack of West coast yeast no airlock activity yet. Fingers crossed.

Strange you say that, my latest macaroon stout stuck at 1.040. Hopefully it will ferment a lil more as its ageing on the Rum Oak. Did you smell the MM peanut?

Strange you say that, my latest macaroon stout stuck at 1.040. Hopefully it will ferment a lil more as its ageing on the Rum Oak. Did you smell the MM peanut?
Yeah just did a sniff test and as you say the MM does smell much more chemically the other smells very sweet did you put the full 10mm in a keg?

I`d say I put about 3/4 in the keg. But maybe the MM one will balance out when added but I didn't want to risk it with the initial smell.
Maybe I would use around 6ml from the 10ml bottle.
I would have posted you a bottle but my mum died a few days ago so my heads up my **** at the moment

I`d say I put about 3/4 in the keg. But maybe the MM one will balance out when added but I didn't want to risk it with the initial smell.
Maybe I would use around 6ml from the 10ml bottle.
I would have posted you a bottle but my mum died a few days ago so my heads up my **** at the moment
No worries mate no pressure at all, sad to here that. All my condolences to you and your family.

Followed your advise and got the ebay stuff just picked it up from post office. I'm having problems with the ferment though stuck at 1.040 og was 1.090. Last night pitched a pack of West coast yeast no airlock activity yet. Fingers crossed.
Have you got any of the Amylase enzyme left from when you did the Brut IPA? Apparently this is what it was used for before Bruts came along.

Have you got any of the Amylase enzyme left from when you did the Brut IPA? Apparently this is what it was used for before Bruts came along.
No it all went in the brut. Kind of defeats the object it was supposed to be a high FG lactose added in the boil and mashed high @69 just not that high. I do think it's slowly going again after adding some West coast yeast I'll do a reading tomorrow if poss and see where it's got to.

How much yeast did you originally pitch? I used to encounter problems, that looked like a stuck ferment, when only using a single packet of yeast. As a rule of thumb, I always go for about 20g of yeast per batch, regardless of the OG.

I used Liquid yeast at first. built up starter according to Brewers friend as I always do. Then pitched a 15g pack of West coast yeast at 1.040 still there now I'm just Gona keg it tonight I think.

I had one finish at 1045. could not restart it, not sure why. I suppose you could increase the bitterness. I ended up ditching mine but it was only a small batch.
That's what I was thinking original recipe was 46 ibu never done a hop tea before I think I have some Magnum in the freezer how much do you reckon I put in? Boiling water? How long?

That's what I was thinking original recipe was 46 ibu never done a hop tea before I think I have some Magnum in the freezer how much do you reckon I put in? Boiling water? How long?

I was taught this recently as a way to add bitterness to no boil beer. Works a treat. So 10g of 10AA pellets boiled in 1 liter of water for 20 mins will add 25 IBU's to 10 liters of wort. You have to make sure the target OG is set to 1 as your boiling water.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/
The pre isomerised oil is another option.

IBU's.jpg

I was taught this recently as a way to add bitterness to no boil beer. Works a treat. So 10g of 10AA pellets boiled in 1 liter of water for 20 mins will add 25 IBU's to 10 liters of wort. You have to make sure the target OG is set to 1 as your boiling water.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/
The pre isomerised oil is another option.

View attachment 16812

Thanks. This might work. With the over attenuation the beer was actually a little strong anyway, so diluting with a hop tea to add bitterness and combining that with a dry hop in the keg might save it.

Back