Pear Cider advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevewilko

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been making apple cider for several years and this year have experimented with Pear Cider. I have done 2 DJ's worth but am surprised at the amount of sediment which is approximately half way up the juice level in the DJ. I have not used anything other than yeast for 1st fermentation. Could anybody please advise what I could have done differently to reduce the amount of sediment. I would add photos but I'm not sure I can do that. Thanks in advance.

Any advise would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Steve

I’m no expert Steve, on my second batch of mixed pear and apple cider this year, but think all you can do is give it time to settle out, rack off the sediment and use finings.

Because pear fruit gives lots of tiny particles during pressing it’s always going to get through the mesh bag.

My pears (from a friend garden) presses pretty clear. I use a wrap press with decorator sheets as the wrap so it partially filtered by that.

What type of press did you use?
Did you filter the juice prior to throwing in the DJ? I had the same froma plum wine, it was like drinking a smoothie!

It really depends on the pear and how ripe it is when you scrat and press. Too ripe or a soft eating pear alot of the 'solid' will be small enough to pass through the press filter or the net. Let it settle and rack off carefully. Or enjoy it cloudy!

Just to clarify, my plum was wrapped in muslin which stretched and letbtoo much pulp through but changing to decorator sheet worked really well. I also froze the pears for a day and defrosted them before scratting.

Back