Pecan Pie Milk Stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudhead94

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I often get bored and was curious with regards to making a milk stout with a desert twist I use a generic milk stout recipe and i've seen online people add the bases of certain ingredients relative to what they're trying to achieve i.e. pecans, molasses etc... I own a SS chronical and due to the domed bottom I thought why can't I just mash a pecan pie up in a dry hop bag and secondary it for a week?

There's no need to sanitise the pie as it's safe for human consumption and I wouldn't want to boil it either, has anyone else '' dry hopped'' with odd ingredients before?

Hey!

Love the idea, not sure how much flavor it would add though. Also would potentially add lots of 'fat' to the beer from the pastry. Let us know how it goes

I suppose if it were fresh-baked out of the oven, it would do no harm but as mentioned, not much flavor since there's relatively little surface area.
What you could do is find the individual ingredients that make a pecan pie tick such as pecans which you might roast hard to get flavor, vanilla beans, maybe the majority of the sugars in the batch could be caramelized--something of that nature.
You could probably find a recipe if you looked well enough.

I would not 'dry hop' with an actual pecan pie. Do as @davidfromUS suggests and add toasted pecans, teacle/molasses/demarera sugar. Maybe a healthy chunk of biscuit malt and golden naked oats in the grist.

I also was debating about this, but instead of pecan pie using Christmas pudding. Not sure if it was ment as an april fools, but a collab from Florida Hidden Spring Ale Works, did a brew using Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Surely there's more fat in one of those doughnuts alone than any pecan pie!

Back