Peco cutting out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pavalijo

Reaction score
In another thread I said that the Peco was the best brewing kit I’d bought as it got me started on my all grain adventure.
Which is true, however I’m having a problem with it.
On the first and third (latest) boil the Peco cut out. The second time I used It I had a perfect rolling boil.
After it cuts out I have to turn the power switch off, leave it 30 seconds or so and then turn it back on again and off it goes.
Any thoughts? It was secondhand and I only paid £25 so no great loss to bin it, although then I have to replace it with something, so if anyone can point to an obvious solution then I would prefer a repair!

Are you getting any scorched deposits above where the element is? That's presuming it has the element under the base of the boiler? I'm not familiar with the peco. If so the grain crush could be too fine allowing malt dust to settle and burn over the element

Cheers Tom

Is the plug in lead getting over warm as this is a known problem and can even melt, is the element getting burnt residue on from the wort too?

Thanks for the replies.
This is the bog standard Peco - no digital display, an exposed element (not hidden beneath a cover and therefore sitting in the wort) and a dial with 1-10 markings.
The element is clean, as far as I can see and I do clean beneath with a pan scrub, but maybe I need to feel beneath.
I use it to boil at no 10 setting. I have wondered whether wrapping the control panel and its plug in lead in insulation is a good idea - maybe I should leave that all exposed when boiling next time. I mash in the Peco and wrap the whole thing up then, but of course then the element is mostly off with maybe a couple of minutes heating on a lower setting if mash temperature is not as desired.
Thinking back, the first time I boiled the controls etc were uncovered, so not really sure what the issue is, given that these things are made to boil wort!

Try it uncovered they are well known for overheating on the plug and cable and if you have insulated it by wrapping it may be the cause of cutting out. So give it a go and see athumb..

Sounds like the high limit stat is cutting out and it’s off till it cools down. Keep it uncovered as the controls will heat up as the Barron says and you run the risk of a fire. Thermostats are like anything electrical and will wear down over time.
can you post a pic of the controls and element ? Just to see if there is a probe for a stat or if it’s internal to the controller.
cheers

It was plugged into to an extension cable but I ensured that was fully unwound. I’ll get some pictures of the controls shortly…….

Latest posts

Back