Pectolase, yes or no?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Will be getting a Richards red on tomorrow. Got one question for you all though.
Do clear supermarket juices really need pectolase? I have got some to use but I'm sure I read something a while ago saying that it was only required for cloudy juices or when using actual fruit.
I've not even opened one of the bottles of red grape juice (pressed and not from concentrate) yet to see if it is clear.
Any clarification would be most helpful for future reference.

Cheers. Tom

Non of the RGJ i have used has been clear, i always add a teaspoon of Pectolace per DJ.

The reason pomegranate juice is cloudy is because it has an abundance of pectin in it. Pectin is not a particle that clears out with fining agents such as Kitosol 40 or Bentonite. It is something that is organically bonded to the wine. It’s not a particle; it’s actually part of the juice. This is know as a pectin haze.

When a wine fermentation occurs the wine yeast produce, among other things, pectic enzymes. During the fermentation the pectic enzymes break-down the pectin that may be in the wine must causing the juice to become clear. The activity of the fermentation itself, helps to energize this organic process. This is why it is possible make a clear pomegranate wine. That’s why a peach wine can start out cloudy and end up clear.

http://blog.eckraus.com/clear-pectin-haze-pectic-enzyme

Hi Tom

I've very much followed the same guide rule for pectolase use i.e. I only use it if I'm making wine from or with additional fruit and berries, I've never had a wine that was difficult to clear, some have taken a little longer but these have all had real fruit and or berries in them.

A good example would be this one: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73188. I've made it twice using exactly the same method except for one difference. First time I left the fruit in pectolase over night and the second time I only left it for 4 hours before adding to the FV. Both batches came out very nice but the first one cleared in under a week after racking the second took about 8 weeks before it was crystal clear.

Paul

I think I'll use it for my 1st batch. Only seems fair as it's actually listed in the recipe, 2nd go I'll leave it out. It's only me that'll be drinking it and I'm not bothered about haze. Been making rather hoppy beers for years and most of them have a level of hop haze in them.

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back