Pen for lableing brown glass bottles

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

rb982

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good type/brand of pen to write directly on to the bottles? Something that will stay on and wont smudge but will easily come off in the wash?

I have read about chalk pens or oil based paint markers. Any experience of a good pen for the job anyone?

Thanks!

Pavros

Landlord.
Reaction score
Chalk pens will work but may smudge if you are not careful. They wash off easily too. I bought mine at Rymans and they had a selection of colours.

Some people use a marker pen and write a code number on the bottle cap as an alternative. If you use swing top bottles which have a blank white top, don't use a permanent marker pen!

AnimatedGIF

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use chalk pens, which don't smudge once dry, unless they get wet. It's easy to remove with a damp cloth. I got mine from The Range - they sell individual white pens, or a pack of coulored ones (I have both).
I also write on the lid sometimes with a sharpie.

Madhouse

Reaction score
I write the brew number on the cap using a permanent marker. Sometimes I'll create a label and stick it on with milk, which means it comes off really easily.

Would suggest a chalk pen for writing on the bottle.

Bernie

Reaction score
I write the brew number on the cap using a permanent marker. Sometimes I'll create a label and stick it on with milk, which means it comes off really easily.

Would suggest a chalk pen for writing on the bottle.
Yes, as a kit brewer I write a code for the kit on the cap. I would like to find a round printing label that would fit the crown cap.

rb982

Reaction score
Great, thanks everyone. I use flip top bottles so labeling the caps is out of the question. Chalk pen sounds easy, clean and quick... will get myself one of those. Thanks everyone!

Davy6Mac

Reaction score
Think there was thread somewhere on this forum about round labels for bottle caps, think it was an excel spreadsheet that you downloaded and then populated with some info about the brew etc which you then printed on adhesive paper and then used a round cutter to suit the bottle cap.

proost

Old Git
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good type/brand of pen to write directly on to the bottles? Something that will stay on and wont smudge but will easily come off in the wash?

I have read about chalk pens or oil based paint markers. Any experience of a good pen for the job anyone?

Thanks!
Silver Sharpie and remove with WD-40 🙂

RGeats

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paint pen?
Great, thanks everyone. I use flip top bottles so labeling the caps is out of the question. Chalk pen sounds easy, clean and quick... will get myself one of those. Thanks everyone!
I just use a sharpie on my flip top bottles. Generally they rub off when washing. But if not just use a bit of IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not India pale ale!) and it comes off. I just write a couple of letters to remind me what it is. So at the moment I have SNPA and TTL. I know what they are which is what matters.

Edison

Regular.
Reaction score

BeeryMcBeerFace

Reaction score
I've bought a range of different coloured caps, then put on a chalk board what each beer is ans when bottled. Chalk pens weren't writing very well, might have been cheap ones tho.

stan.distortion

Reaction score
I've bought a range of different coloured caps, then put on a chalk board what each beer is ans when bottled. Chalk pens weren't writing very well, might have been cheap ones tho.
Same but I've also got a few sheets of different coloured stickers for when I run out of cap colours, about 8mm round spots but the next time I'm in the pound shop I'll probably pick up a few sheets of star shapes instead (a la Newcie Brown).

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just stick a label on the crate. If I've got a few spare bottles kicking about I just sharpie the initials on the cap.
I tend to drink a whole brew before going on to the next so individual labels on bottles are a bit pointless.

Justin Dean

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use white chalk pens, they are perfect for the job

boohbeer

Reaction score
I use Sharpie China marker for the beer bottles and Sharpie Paint marker for cider, mead or anything that I plan to store for a longer time

Latest posts