pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennine

Landlord.
Reaction score
163 - summit ipa
as a gift for tying for first on the jan competition i was given a huge bag of summit. found this recipe on hbt a while back and figured to give it a shot. i had bought a pack of summit last year and was really disappointed with it, this one already smells and tastes light years better. is making me thing maybe the summit wasn't bad but was the kveik i was trying out as well?

2.00 kgHook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)74.6 %
0.40 kgBEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)14.9 %
0.07 kgCarabelge (39.4 EBC)2.6 %
0.07 kgCarahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC)2.6 %
0.07 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)2.6 %
0.07 kgHoney Malt (49.3 EBC)2.6 %
7.00 gSummit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min24.7 IBUs
10.00 gSummit [17.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min17.8 IBUs
10.00 gSummit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min7.1 IBUs
15.00 gSummit [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 90.2 C9.7 IBUs
1.0 pkgSafale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]-
70.00 gSummit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days0.0 IBUs

Last edited:
164 - west coast pilsner
as the weather is warming up i have been on a kick for lawn mower beers, and i really enjoy a hoppy ipl. so i am heading down the route of hoppy pilsners in modern fashion, whirlpool and dry hopped.

1.60kgs - weyermann pilsner malt
0.90kgs - hook head pale ale
0.15kgs - carabelge
0.07kgs - acidmalt

8g - simcoe fwh
30g - citra wp
20g mosaic wp
30g - citra dh
20g - mosaic dh

34/70

165 - hoppy marzen
just tinkering with this idea for next week. i made an all munich with citra a few weeks back and was pretty happy with it. think it would have been better with a lager yeast. my tentative thought was dry hopping with tettnang and maybe summit. i will check on my summit ipa later this week to see how the dry hop turned out.

155 - Super Mosaic
i am a big fan of mosaic. brewed this up in the middle of february and ready to be reviewed. has a nice citrus, berry and malty aroma. taste is lemon and sweet up front which gives way to grapefruit juice on the back a bit of malt is present but very much in the background. this was my first go at lallemands east coast yeast. it's a solid neipa but maybe too fruity for my taste? carahell makes beer sweet for me and it made up 7% of the grain bill. maybe also slightly adjusting the acid malt and additions.
i was anticipating the nugget playing a bigger role but is seems pretty non existent.

20200413_163730.jpg

165 - flyer esb
12l batch - 1.059/1.016est - mash 68c

have a pack of flyer hops that has been staring at me for a few months. figured to throw them in the rotation and brew up a bitter, something i rarely do. i only have s-04 available. should have bought the pintman from WHC rather than the bond... let's see how this turns out. the hoppy marzen is on the schedule for next week.

2.60 kgPale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)85.8 %
0.14 kg
0.14 kg
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (113.8 EBC)
4.6 %
4.6 %
0.14 kgCarabelge (39.4 EBC)4.6 %
20.00 gFlyer [7.60 %] - First Wort 45.0 min30 IBUs
15.00 gFlyer [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min8 IBUs
1.0 pkgSafAle English Ale (Fermentis #S-04)-
40.00 gFlyer [7.60 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days0.0 IBUs

finished this one up, have been hitting really good brew house efficiencies with my braumeister and grain crush lately so this one finished a bit higher than expected, was shooting for 1.056. the wort was more bitter going into the fermenter than other recent brews. flyer seems to have significant variation in aa% the pack i had was 7.6% beersmith estimates 12%. normally i use half the bittering additions for 10-12% aa hops. hopefully this puppy doesn't blow off its pretty tight in the brew bucket.

Last edited:
152 - cascade/centennial pale ale
good floral pine citrus aroma faint hint of malt in the background. nice and clear and beer colored.
fresh citrus and a bit of grass up front. munich and crystal type malt flavors settle in. good level of bitterness that lingers, slight medicinal flavor. leaves a floral/bitter aftertaste assuming this is from the centennial. good beer quaff-able summer time beer, reminds me more of sierra nevada pale ale vs. the two hearted ale I was shooting for, probably due to the cascade additions. this was the first beer i have keg hopped, aroma is still muted. next dry hop (wc pilsner) i am gonna lower temps and dry hop per this article Reevaluating Dry Hop Techniques.
20200418_142519.jpg

Last edited:
150 - spring stout
deep black with a nice brown head
chocolate, alcohol and yeast aroma with a bit of campfire in the background.
sweet chocolate malt, a little peppery, quite carbonated for a stout but still has a creamy coating mouthfeel, fades with some alcohol, pine and citrus, bitterness lingers.
pretty happy with this imperial stout. a bit more bitter than others but I prefer that. first time using t-58 and very happy with it. bought a few more packs to experiment.
stats 1.100-1.030, 9.5% abv cacade bittering and chinook late additions.
20200418_153235.jpg

161 - neipa
murky orangesih hue
lemon aroma, with bread dough. grapefruit, dank weed and cat **** in the background.
tastes very lemony and citrus pith, well carbonated which accents the citrus. very light mouthfeel dissipates almost immediately. citrus peel bitterness lingers on the palate. very little malt that tastes a muddled and creamy. a little too bitter for my taste. I stole the recipe from the big neipa thread on hbt and used citra, mosaic waimea and eukanot. eukanot and citrus combo makes a lemon bomb, citra usually gives me a little cat ****. mosaic is wonderfully dank. this one is adjunct heavy and to be honest i much prefer just using 100% golden promise in my neipas. im getting a bit bored with citra it's good but definitely need a break.
stats 1.062 to 1.015 S-04
20200420_185003.jpg

166 - hoppy marzen
12l batch - 1.057/1.012est - step mash 50c/66c/75c

the temperatures outside seem nice for a marzen and i can ferment at lager temps in the garage. i have a pack of belma to use and figured it would be good to try in a marzen. based on reviews its seemingly mild and has a good strawberry aroma, fitting for the spring. im still considering the hop additions and was a little tempted to add in some sladek. but i think for experimental purposes ill stick with belma. i have a bit of simcoe left over and figured to use it up, hence the bittering addition.

well i had a little more simcoe than i thought so decided to bitter with belma and use the simcoe with some columus at a later date. the belma was also much higher aa% hopefully its a muted flavor as suggested. mash pH came in a lot lower due to the step mash. i should have considered that before the acid additions.

The Story: Belma®: sweetly named after the road our family's homestead and farm has stood since the 1930's. We discovered Belma® growing on its own up the side of our picking facility, fell in love with its strawberry aroma on the vine and its robust nature. A daughter of Magnum & Kitamidori, it imparts strawberry, citrus, melon and grapefruit notes.

1.00 kgBEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)36.4 %
0.90 kgPilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)32.7 %
0.50 kgHook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)18.2 %
0.10 kgBEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC)3.6 %
0.10 kgCarabelge (39.4 EBC)3.6 %
0.10 kgCaramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)3.6 %
0.05 kgMelanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC)1.8 %
10.00 gBelma [12.0 %] - Boil 60.0 min26.1 IBUs
10.00 gBelma [12.0 %] - Boil 15.0 min12.9 IBUs
15.00 gBelma [12.0 %] - Boil 7.0 min10.5 IBUs
15.00 gBelma [12.0 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 92.0 C8.1 IBUs
2.0 pkgBohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M84)-
30.00gBelma [12.0 %] - Dry hop 2 days

Last edited:
163 - summit ipa
out in the garden today decided to take a break and crack open a brew. this one is the first brewday post and i actually brewed it apr 5 so grain to glass in 20 days. bottled on apr 13 ended up at 6.1% 1.058 - 1.011.

so initial sampling before today I was getting the green oniony, garlicky flavor many complain about summit but it's virtually gone now. aroma was fresh oranges and deep malty like I get from dipa's. slight spicy chives as it warms up in the background.

tasting it's quite a combination of malt and oranges. the crystal malts really give it that rich malt sweetness. it has a deep orange flavor that settles into a citrus peel like bitterness. there is also plenty of pine and a bit dank, a bit reminiscent of columbus.

really happy with this one brings me back to the good old days of american ipas before the whole juicy ipa phase.

it's clearing up nicely too.

thanks again for the delicious hops @Ray1314 and @Ghillie

20200425_132625.jpg

Last edited:
162 - eukanot centennial ipl
the first of my hoppy lagers this year.
a nice fresh citrus, lemon grass aroma, a hint of sulfur and bread.
nice easy drinking and refreshing taste. very citrusy and floral with the sweet golden promise malt nicely balancing the hoppiness. the hops kick back in with spicy grassiness and the typical harsher bitterness centennial usually gives. has a nice fresh lager flavor that matches these hops very nicely.

pretty happy with this one but the eukanot and centennial really mesh well. will definitely brew again. carabelge also matches well with golden promise. it has a little more maltiness than carapils or carahell.

20200425_153611.jpg

142 - helles bock
brewed this up a while back and came across the last bottle. it's a basic recipe pils, munich and melanoiden and bittered with magnum. I tried out the voss kveik strain as it's said to have good lager like properties when fermented cold.

aroma is all malt, white bread and cracker with the faintest hint of earthy sulfur.

appearance is brilliant with a great head that lingered the whole way.

tastes very much the way it smells but the munich/melanoiden gives it a much deeper
richer malt flavor. a bit sweet but light on the palate with a little orange citrus and floral that is very muted. has a solid bitter backbone and then that earthy mushroom flavor I get from most kveik yeast that lingers awkwardly.

a very good simple beer but wished I used a real lager yeast and some tettnang or saaz. hi
20200426_122806.jpg

147 - no chill cascade pale ale
first of the no chill experiment. aroma is ctirusy floral typical cascade scent, very light cracker.

sweet crackers and a light citrus floral flavor. not lemon but lemon grass like and a bit of wood. very light bitterness mouthfeel is light and fleeting. picture perfect appearance though.

i tried two no chill brews and didn't really like either of them. there is a distinct smell and flavor to both, almost like a stale dull malt flavor? cooling doesn't take long and it's nice to be done in 3 hours and not worrying about pitching later.
20200428_180814.jpg

150 - spring stout
deep black with a nice brown head
chocolate, alcohol and yeast aroma with a bit of campfire in the background.
sweet chocolate malt, a little peppery, quite carbonated for a stout but still has a creamy coating mouthfeel, fades with some alcohol, pine and citrus, bitterness lingers.
pretty happy with this imperial stout. a bit more bitter than others but I prefer that. first time using t-58 and very happy with it. bought a few more packs to experiment.
stats 1.100-1.030, 9.5% abv cacade bittering and chinook late additions.View attachment 24622
How long did you leave this to condition before trying. I have one made using kviek, it's only been in the bottle 4 weeks. I am tempted to try one, kviek normally has a quick turnaround.
I am enjoying reading your brew thread, great job keep it up👍

149 - 4hops pale ale

clear super pale nice beer looking beer.

orange and pine aromas with white bread with pilsner malt.

light mouthfeel with a solid piney and dank hop flavor right away fades into orange and light citrus. medium bitterness that fades quickly.

a good beer, not great. probably a little too many piney hops. so far of the 3 brews i've done with amarillo i haven't really liked any of them. think i'll skip it in the future. wish I used simcoe in it's place. was hoping for a little more grapefruit, seems to be missing in my recent cascade batches.

20200428_183137.jpg

How long did you leave this to condition before trying. I have one made using kviek, it's only been in the bottle 4 weeks. I am tempted to try one, kviek normally has a quick turnaround.
I am enjoying reading your brew thread, great job keep it up👍
I tried it after a week in the bottle and that one was actually pretty amazing probably the best one so far. I feel like it's changing, or becoming more dignified with age. I kind of liked how the flavors meshed when the beer was green on this one, normally that's not the case.

I think the important thing with big beers is temps, if you can keep the fusels out then you can enjoy early.

158 - leap munich lemon
12l batch - 1.064/1.016 - mash 66c
brewed this up on leap day hence the name. was shooting for a lemony ipa hence the hop choices. my ph came in low so i added some phosphoric to the boil. also added 2g of gypsum and 3ml of phosphoric to the mash. i used ro and my very hard tap water 60/30 ratio.

2.60 kgBEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)86.7 %
0.10 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC)3.3 %
0.05 kgAcidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)1.7 %
10.00 gEukanot [14.00 %] - First Wort 45.0 min29.3 IBUs
0.25 kgSugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)8.3 %
2.00 mlPhosphoric Acid 85% (Boil)-
10.00 gEukanot [14.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min7.8 IBUs
10.00 gMosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 7.0 min6.8 IBUs
25.00 gCitra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 85.0 C7.6 IBUs
15.00 gEukanot [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 85.0 C5.3 IBUs
15.00 gMosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 85.0 C4.7 IBUs
1.0 pkgBEòIR (Croosmyloof #)-

things i would change next time, possibly drop the bittering addition down a bit to 6g, add some dry hops. i would also try out the midwestern ale yeast on this one, think it will mingle well. nothing wrong with the beoir though. I would also skip the acid addition in the boil, although i think that helped give it the lemony feel.

Thank you for that. Question on adding sugar is this just to bump up the abv. Does it add anything else. I see it used alot for Belgian style beer. Did you use normal granulated sugar

Thank you for that. Question on adding sugar is this just to bump up the abv. Does it add anything else. I see it used alot for Belgian style beer. Did you use normal granulated sugar
i got the idea from reading about russian rivers pliney the elder, they seem to use it mainly to attenuate further to dry it out making it seem more crisp and hops shine. basically the similar reason as why the belgians use it now that you bring it up. it seems more common practice in west coast style dipa's. i have been experimenting with it but using it with juicy hops instead. i really like a heavy malt flavor but still like the crispness of a west coast ipa so i have been trying to commingle them. im also not a big fan of smooth creamy adjunct heavy neipas but i love the hops.

Last edited:
Back