pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
195 - Christmas Chocolate Stout
11l batch - 1.069/1.020 - mash 70c

Had a little fun and did a big rewrite of the recipe @Hopsteep posted, sorry about that! I don't use lactose and I used golden naked oats and increased them by the lactose additions. I also did not have pale chocolate so I made a concoction of 3 I did have on hand. I also did not do the inverted sugar, and did a oven baked mash and sugar addition to mimic this. Similar to the keptini brew I have done a while back which give a nice caramelly malt flavour. Just need to cool and pitch the yeast. It's a bit roasty going into the fermenter due to the caramelized sugars, very interesting.

2.00 kg​
Maris Otter Malt (Muntons) (5.9 EBC)​
Grain​
7​
62.5 %​
1.30 L​
0.35 kg​
Oats, Golden Naked®™ (Simpsons) (18.0 EBC)​
Grain​
8​
10.9 %​
0.23 L​
0.20 kg​
Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)​
Grain​
9​
6.3 %​
0.13 L​
0.11 kg​
Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)​
Grain​
10​
3.4 %​
0.07 L​
0.11 kg​
Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC)​
Grain​
11​
3.4 %​
0.07 L​
0.11 kg​
Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)​
Grain​
12​
3.4 %​
0.07 L​
0.07 kg​
Carabelge (39.4 EBC)​
Grain​
13​
2.2 %​
0.05 L​
0.25 kg​
Brown Sugar, Light [Boil] (15.8 EBC)​
Sugar​
14​
7.8 %​
0.16 L​
19.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [9.90 %] - Boil 40.0 min​
Hop​
15​
35.4 IBUs​
-​
1.0 pkg​
M15 Empire Yeast​
Yeast​
16​
-​
-​
100.00 g​
Cacao Nibs (Secondary 7.0 days)​
Flavor​
17​
-​
-​
Had another sample flavour is still just ok, I have to say I am quite dissapointed in M15, maybe it'll shine once bottled. It tastes like a cask ale and not a stout, tons of fruity esters as well.

I took a chance anyway and dumped the whiskey marinating cacao nibs and ended up toasting about 200g of coconut to add. Hopefully this spruces it up a bit.

20201024_090832.jpg

196 - Amarillo Wheat
11l batch - 1.056/1.013 - mash 67c

Well I settled on a mostly Amarillo hopped wheat beer. I also decided to up the WB-06 a bit to get some more hefe character that should stick out with the US-05. The mash sample was really delicious. And now post boil its tastes like bubblegum... just kidding. Amarillo has a surprisingly classic piney taste when added as a 85c hopstand, no orange at all.

Quite a productive brew day, bottled the hoppy pilsners, washed out 3 fermenters and labeled three batches of bottles. All while the mash was going. Gonna hit the gym now the boil has started.

1.70 kg​
64.2 %​
0.75 kg​
Wheat, Malt (Simpsons) (4.0 EBC)​
28.3 %​
0.10 kg​
BEST Caramel Aromatic (BESTMALZ) (50.0 EBC)​
3.8 %​
0.10 kg​
Honey Malt (49.3 EBC)​
3.8 %​
8.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
17.5 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
18.2 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]​
-​
0.2 pkg​
Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml]​
-​
70.00 g​
Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

Last edited:
186 - Hazelwoods Summer Breeze
11l batch - 1.059/1.012 - mash 66c

i like to drink ipa's on a regular basis so doing back to back ipa brew days is never a bad thing. @Hazelwood Brewery 's repeated exposure to his citra/galaxy pale ale has worn off on me over time and figured to give it a shot. i did not have oats or torrified wheat so subbed flaked barley, and my vienna is a bit limited and next weekend i need most of it for a festbier experiment i have planned. to be honest i am not that big of a oat fan as it tastes a bit oily and earthy. looking forward to drinking this one. also i hit a shocking 87% efficiency, even after adding an extra litre of water post boil so this one will be a bit heavier than the 5.2% he posted. im ok with that.

1.50 kg​
Hook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)​
57.1 %​
1.00 kg​
Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)​
38.1 %​
0.12 kg​
4.8 %​
10.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 30.0 min​
23.9 IBUs​
25.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min​
22.0 IBUs​
25.00 g​
Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min​
25.7 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
-​
25.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

Tasting notes: 186 - Hazelwoods Summer Breeze

Well this one is up for an official review.

Pours a brilliant yellow, clear, with a decent head that lingers.
Aroma is lemony grapefruit with that characteristic galaxiness, its almost like a fruity mushroom or bread yeast type of smell. A little bit of bready malt but its buried.
Flavour is very citrusy, like the aroma all lemon up front and finishes grapefruit. It's a bit sweet malt on the palate, its not coating but also not light just a really nice background to the hop blast. There is decent bitterness there at the end, pithy grapefruit that lingers for a while, maybe a bit earthy as well.
Water is working in the background and is not noticeable, I used half RO and half tap and added 1g of gypsum for 100ppm Ca and 100ppm sulphate and 22 ppm chloride. This is likely making the hops pop.
Overall this really is an immensely drinkable beer it's delicious and light, but really satisfying. The bitterness is solid but not overdone and it really meshes with the fruitiness of the hops, this is my preference for a beer kind of a nice balance between a west coast IPA and a NEIPA. I don't offer this response up much but I could easily drink multiple pints of this in a setting, which is very unusual for me as I prefer to celebrate variety. Good job on this one @Hazelwood Brewery I think next one I will use wheat like you do though and swap out the galaxy for simcoe and mosaic. The simplicity of pale ale malt and vienna is really one to remember.

Here is the review from the most recent comp.
Aroma – Big aroma hit, the biggest of the night. Citrus and stone fruits.. 10/12
Appearance – Nice and clear. Good head retention 3/3
Mouthfeel – Not overly bitter, well carbed. 5/5
Flavour – Hop bomb!!! Summer in a glass was one comment. Nice clean finish, with lovely citrus fruit flavours 15/20
Overall – Great beer, well made. Good aroma – woke the senses. 9/10
TOTAL 42/50

20201025_124413.jpg

Last edited:

Aroma is lemony grapefruit with that characteristic galaxiness, its almost like a fruity mushroom or bread yeast type of smell. A little bit of bready malt but its buried.
Flavour is very citrusy, like the aroma all lemon up front and finishes grapefruit. It's a bit sweet malt on the palate, its not coating but also not light just a really nice background to the hop blast. There is decent bitterness there at the end, pithy grapefruit that lingers for a while, maybe a bit earthy as well.
Water is working in the background and is not noticeable, I used half RO and half tap and added 1g of gypsum for 100ppm Ca and 100ppm sulphate and 22 ppm chloride. This is likely making the hops pop.
Overall this really is an immensely drinkable beer it's delicious and light, but really satisfying. The bitterness is solid but not overdone and it really meshes with the fruitiness of the hops, this is my preference for a beer kind of a nice balance between a west coast IPA and a NEIPA. I don't offer this response up much but I could easily drink multiple pints of this in a setting, which is very unusual for me as I prefer to celebrate variety. Good job on this one @Hazelwood Brewery I think next one I will use wheat like you do though and swap out the galaxy for simcoe and mosaic. The simplicity of pale ale malt and vienna is really one to remember.

Aroma – Big aroma hit, the biggest of the night. Citrus and stone fruits.. 10/12
Flavour – Hop bomb!!! Summer in a glass was one comment. Nice clean finish, with lovely citrus fruit flavours 15/20
TOTAL 42/50
That's a great score

That's a great score
Yes I was quite surprised but now can see why it did score so high. It's actually making me rethink recipe design and dropping out crystal to replace with various base malts and adjuncts...

By the way are you interested in sampling two IPL's with various lager yeasts? I need to send you the comp stout and will add these in there if you are interested. I took H's advice and am now using plastic bottles so I can send three at a time.

Yes I was quite surprised but now can see why it did score so high. It's actually making me rethink recipe design and dropping out crystal to replace with various base malts and adjuncts...

By the way are you interested in sampling two IPL's with various lager yeasts? I need to send you the comp stout and will add these in there if you are interested. I took H's advice and am now using plastic bottles so I can send three at a time.
Sounds good I have my Brett dark winter Saison for you to try plus the imperial stout. Just waiting on the Brett to fully carb. It finished at 1.008 and I carbonated to 2.5 vols. It's taking its time. I actually tried one last night, it's definitely different.

TOTAL 42/50

View attachment 34598

It’s my signature ale so I’m pleased you like it so much.🤗

196 - Amarillo Wheat

Well I settled on a mostly Amarillo hopped wheat beer. I also decided to up the WB-06 a bit to get some more hefe character that should stick out with the US-05. The mash sample was really delicious. And now post boil its tastes like bubblegum... just kidding. Amarillo has a surprisingly classic piney taste when added as a 85c hopstand, no orange at all.

Quite a productive brew day, bottled the hoppy pilsners, washed out 3 fermenters and labeled three batches of bottles. All while the mash was going. Gonna hit the gym now the boil has started.

1.70 kg​
64.2 %​
0.75 kg​
28.3 %​
0.10 kg​
3.8 %​
0.10 kg​
Honey Malt (49.3 EBC)​
3.8 %​
8.00 g​
17.5 IBUs​
30.00 g​
18.2 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
-​
0.2 pkg​
-​
70.00 g​
0.0 IBUs​
Think I will rename this one to either big league brew or banana split, at least that is what the garage smells like from this thing fermenting. I am quite surprised how much character that small amount of wb06 is throwing.

Sampled the amarillo wheat today, it's done fermenting. there is a bit of bubblegum and banana in the aroma, it smells quite nice actually. The flavour is like a american wheat beer, not hefe, with that weird amarillo citrus pithy earth mushroom flavour. I really don't think I like amarillo, this is the third time in a year I have used it and have had the same experience.

197 - Halloween Axeman
22l batch - 1.072/1.012 - step mash 55/64/74c

Have an empty keg coming up and I wanted to get a nice hazy IPA going. This is a simple but good recipe based on Todd the Axeman from Surly & Amager, I drank a lot of this when stuck in the Minneapolis airport, and might possibly be one of my favorite American brews. I have brewed this a couple of times before but this will be the first time using Verdant yeast. It's such a good recipe the yeast doesn't really matter.

turning into a ****** up brewday my easybrew keeps tripping with the heating element on, stupid step mashes.... it's becoming a very hands on brewdays. Hopefully the boil works.

Well everything finished off ok, I am wondering if I was having power outages and I didn't notice? There is a bit of burnt on the bottom though so likely it was overheating with the step mash and that heavy of a malt bill. Anyway tastes great in the fermenter and I ended up with about 23l. almost 200g of hops in the boil and whirlpool. That is a lot of hops.

7.00 kg​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)​
Grain​
7​
100.0 %​
4.56 L​
30.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 45.0 min​
Hop​
8​
44.3 IBUs​
-​
30.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
9​
7.5 IBUs​
-​
20.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
10​
5.1 IBUs​
-​
70.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
Hop​
11​
17.9 IBUs​
-​
30.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
Hop​
12​
7.8 IBUs​
-​
1.0 pkg​
Verdant Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]​
Yeast​
13​
-​
-​
150.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
14​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
100.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
15​
0.0 IBUs​
-​

Last edited:
197 - Halloween Axeman
22l batch - 1.068/1.012 - step mash 55/64/74c

Have an empty keg coming up and I wanted to get a nice hazy IPA going. This is a simple but good recipe based on Todd the Axeman from Surly & Amager, I drank a lot of this when stuck in the Minneapolis airport, and might possibly be one of my favorite American brews. I have brewed this a couple of times before but this will be the first time using Verdant yeast. It's such a good recipe the yeast doesn't really matter.

7.00 kg​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)​
Grain​
7​
100.0 %​
4.56 L​
30.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 45.0 min​
Hop​
8​
44.3 IBUs​
-​
30.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
9​
7.5 IBUs​
-​
20.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
Hop​
10​
5.1 IBUs​
-​
70.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
Hop​
11​
17.9 IBUs​
-​
30.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
Hop​
12​
7.8 IBUs​
-​
1.0 pkg​
Verdant Yeast (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]​
Yeast​
13​
-​
-​
150.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
14​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
100.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
15​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
Looks good. Only a 250 g dry hop

Only! im dosing 250g of citra and 150g of mosaic I total. I think I am already 4g/l above dry hop extraction levels according to shelhammer.
😄😄
That's well above any brew that I have brewed. I think the most I went was 300g in total. Looking forward to hearing how the yeast performs. I have a packet lined up for my next hazy IPA. It's looking like lemon drop & azacca

Another tasting of the HoPils, M76 is on the left and 34/70 the right

M76 has a stronger sulfur, tropical and malty aromas. Flavour is heavy tropical fruit, mainly pineapple and a bit of citrus. This one is much more hop expressive.

34/70 has a strong malt pineapple aroma no sulfur. Flavour is again heavy tropical fruit but more mixed tropical fruit like pineapple, papaya and mango, no citrus at all but also has a really good hops to malt balance.

The are sitting around 11c now, I plan to cold dry hop towards the end of next week. I am thinking about upping the dry hop of Olicana and Lemon Drop to 60g split in two to use up the bags. I need to start drinking and gather up enough bottles.

These are really good beers, and I am looking forward to seeing which of the yeasts I prefer with a hoppy pilsner as I really enjoy this style.

View attachment 34243
Is this the two you sent to me. Was just looking through your thread

😄😄
That's well above any brew that I have brewed. I think the most I went was 300g in total. Looking forward to hearing how the yeast performs. I have a packet lined up for my next hazy IPA. It's looking like lemon drop & azacca
it's probably the most I ever used as well. hopefully it's as good as I remember. although golden promise, citra and mosaic are hard to screw up.

188 - Hoppy Session Ale
11l batch - 1.052/1.015 - mash 66c

In light of the alcohol conversations, I have been sampling all the non-alcohol beers I can get my hands on. Generally speaking they suck. And so do lagers unless you venture into the +5% range. I hear a lot of brewers are going more to lagers, but I find them boring, bland and not much better than their NA counterparts. I could go bitters and british pale ales but since there are plenty of good ones to be had for cheap I am going to try to make a new world hoppy pale that I actually look forward to drinking. Mashing this one at 70c to keep the fermentable sugar low.

1.25 kg​
Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)​
68.3 %​
0.30 kg​
BEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)​
16.4 %​
0.20 kg​
Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC)​
10.9 %​
0.08 kg​
4.4 %​
10.00 g​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - First Wort 30.0 min​
32.5 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 80.0 C​
3.7 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 80.0 C​
3.8 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
BRY-97​
-​
30.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

Somehow I ended with 10 points higher, at 1.052. And 100% efficiency??? I have never brewed with my braumeister with that little grain before.

188 - Hoppy Session Ale Tasting notes

From the keg, pours out a medium hazy bright straw yellow. Nice head that lingers.
Aroma is classic american hoppy, piney with a bit of citrus. Al little malt in the background like a nice pilsner white bready malt.

Flavour is also very hoppy, piney, dank and resinous with some citrus highlights more grapefruit than lemon. There is some cattiness in there as well. It's very light on the palate with brief maltiness, it has that typical session taste that is relatively insubstantial but means you can drink a lot of it. It's also very hop focused with a decent background that actually supports it well when taken as a whole.

Overall this one is an excellent session ale, full of flavour and not completely bodiless like a lot of non-British bitter sessions I have tried. I think next time I might lower the whirlpool additions a bit and up the dry hop side. Bry-97 isn't too bad either, I hated it out of the fermenter, way too sulphury for me. But it conditioned really well.

196 - Amarillo Wheat

1.70 kg​
64.2 %​
0.75 kg​
28.3 %​
0.10 kg​
3.8 %​
0.10 kg​
Honey Malt (49.3 EBC)​
3.8 %​
8.00 g​
17.5 IBUs​
30.00 g​
18.2 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
-​
0.2 pkg​
-​
70.00 g​
0.0 IBUs​

Bottled this one up today, hit my numbers perfectly.

Initial tastes, it's ok a bit sharp still has a bit of the hefe clove in there. I think I confirmed that I do not like amarillo. It tastes earthy and mushroomy and the bitterness is very harsh and lingers forever with the slightest amount of orange. Kind of like I get with fuggles which I also do not like as it tastes like dirt to me. I thought this was the kveik yeast I used last time but I guess its amarillo. Well even if it is not good for me I think I learned something, but I will give it a chance to carbonate and try to be unbiased. @Clint want me to send you a bottle to try?

Bottled this one up today, hit my numbers perfectly.

Initial tastes, it's ok a bit sharp still has a bit of the hefe clove in there. I think I confirmed that I do not like amarillo. It tastes earthy and mushroomy and the bitterness is very harsh and lingers forever with the slightest amount of orange. Kind of like I get with fuggles which I also do not like as it tastes like dirt to me. I thought this was the kveik yeast I used last time but I guess its amarillo. Well even if it is not good for me I think I learned something, but I will give it a chance to carbonate and try to be unbiased. @Clint want me to send you a bottle to try?

I struggle a bit with Amarillo. I think I should like it, and I keep trying it stupidly!

I struggle a bit with Amarillo. I think I should like it, and I keep trying it stupidly!
Well good to hear I thought I was just weird because everyone seems to like it. I would imagine its a hop that goes along well with cascade and columbus, but on it's own it doesn't shine.

Anyway too many hops to waste more time on Amarillo.

On another note I am pleasantly surprised and pleased with the tropicalness of Olicana, I am tentatively thinking it might be a great local replacement for galaxy. I think I am going to split batch and try to dry hop with Citra and Olicana and one with Citra and Galaxy to see if they are similar.

Curious to hear what you think of it, although in the beers you have there is also Lemon Drop and Citra so it could also be one of those?

Back