pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
170 - strawberry lemon saison
12l batch - 1.052/1.010 - mash 65c
posting this one a bit early to get some advice. any one use m29 before? i have a pack of belle saison but found it a bit boring last time i used it. im hoping to get a little more spicy funk from the m29. i was also thinking about adding a little lemon zest to this.

was inspired by sampling the hoppy marzen with belma and was overwhelmed with strawberry aroma. thought it would mesh well with a bit of citra in a saison. wanted to get it a bit sweet, hence the carahell. also i have a cork for my glass fermenter now and can keep this separate from my SS ones and do some extra sanitation with it to keep the diastaticus out of the brewhouse.

1.90 kg​
Hook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)​
68 %​
0.0 kg6​
Wheat, Malt (Simpsons) (4.0 EBC)​
22 %​
0.20 kg​
Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC)​
7 %​
0.08 kg​
Acid Malt (6 EBC)​
3 %​
6.00 g​
Summit [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
18 IBUs​
17.00 g​
Belma [9.80 %] - Boil 7.0 min​
9 IBUs​
12.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min​
8 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29)​
-​

quick brewday update, went low on my mash pH 5.16, had really good mash efficiency though. hopefully it will fit the style having a little sourness. i also had a little less belma than i first thought. also mangrove jacks yeast is and odd yeast, was very difficult to get hydrated and never did make a nice frothy layer like other dry yeasts. hopefully it works otherwise i am done using MJ ive had some bad experiences with it before. but am wondering if the pelletized form it comes in is the cause for the typical delay in fermenting i have seen?

its fun seeing the wort in glass, its been a while since i have used this.

20200508_092917.jpg

Last edited:
looking back at my last 10 brews, and am enjoying the style variation. especially considering the 10 before that were pretty much ipa's and pale ales.

Capture.JPG

Mine had 81% attenuation which was higher than I wanted, with an FG of 1.012. I think a little more residual sweetness would have been better.
i remeasured today and it's sitting at 7.4 brix a little higher than the earlier measurement. i also ran it on sean terril's convertor spreadsheet and that is giving me a 1.013, which also usually runs a little lower than the hydrometer. so it's likely around 1.014. beersmith gives me some crazy conversion factors even after I calibrate it to match sean's spreadsheet.

coming up with an idea for my next brew, going back and forth between a german porter or a rauchbier. will probably stick with the porter. it seems munich is used in a large quantities and will help use up some of the bag of munich i have. i have some polish hops and tettnanger in the freezer, caramunich and cararoma, and plenty of carafa. and a pack of 34/70 done!

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000150.html
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2nJU3FxR09V16ME1E1aGG0&cshid=1589003180839[/URL]

Interesting stuff, that's another new style to me but I like the sound of it. I also like the idea of fermenting it the traditional way with brett 🤔

coming up with an idea for my next brew, going back and forth between a german porter or a rauchbier. will probably stick with the porter. it seems munich is used in a large quantities and will help use up some of the bag of munich i have. i have some polish hops and tettnanger in the freezer, caramunich and cararoma, and plenty of carafa. and a pack of 34/70 done!

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000150.html
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2nJU3FxR09V16ME1E1aGG0&cshid=1589003180839[/URL]
Another interesting read. Beer and a history lesson, will be interested to hear how this turns out👍

Interesting stuff, that's another new style to me but I like the sound of it. I also like the idea of fermenting it the traditional way with brett 🤔
yeah good idea, i might do a 20l batch and split it, one with only 34/70 and one with yeast and the dregs of that bottle of orval I have. probably could throw some oak chips in there too.

Another interesting read. Beer and a history lesson, will be interested to hear how this turns out👍
yeah this one is like the california common style not a lot of historical info and only one brand available that may or may not be true to its roots. will definitely keep researching.

dumped a lemon zest and rhubarb tea into the saison at high krausen. sounded good at the time but i imagine ill be disapointed with it. and i turned on the heat strip. the pack says best ferm temps are 25-32c

more follow up on the german porter. stolen from here German Porter: Part Two think i might go with this recipe. pretty heavy hopping though.

A typewritten manuscript from A. Dörfel, the head brewer at the top-fermenting Berlin brewery Groterjan, gives a wonderful insight into how Porter was brewed between the wars. Although the document dates from 1947, it’s describing processes from the 1930s. This is his Porter recipe:

Farbmalz 3%
Caramelmalz 7%
pale malt 20%
Munich malt 70%
Caramel coloring
500 gm hops per hl

Farbmalz is the German equivalent of black malt, in case you were wondering. And that hopping is the equivalent of two pounds per imperial barrel, which is quite a lot for a German beer. The resulting ale had an OG of 18º Plato.

But what is most interesting is the fermentation, or, more precisely, the secondary fermentation. Dörfel mentions “Nachgärungshefe” (secondary conditioning yeast), which must mean Brettanomyces. At Groterjan, as had been the case at British breweries, Brett was not added separately, but was in the pitching yeast. Although by the 1930s, very few British Stouts underwent this sort of secondary conditioning.

and then this one about bass ale not directly related but supports the brett link.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/...omment=1302003154073&m=1#c2179803049904055047

Last edited:
tentative recipe for next weekend's german porter
22l batch - 1.061/1.014 - long mash 66c

4.20 kg​
BEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)​
69.0 %​
1.25 kg​
Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)​
20.5 %​
0.18 kg​
Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)​
3.0 %​
0.18 kg​
Carafa II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC)​
3.0 %​
0.18 kg​
Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)​
3.0 %​
0.10 kg​
Candi Sugar, Dark [Boil] (1900.0 EBC)​
1.6 %​
2.0 pkg​
Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M84)​
-​

split the batch in 2 and ferment one with the built up dregs of an orval.

159 - the red mosaic
fresh from the keg. not much aroma, a little raisin and lemon.

taste is all over the place. caramel with lemons and grapefruit, a little roasty, raisin with a hint of sour dough bread. bitterness settles in and the other flavors fade quickly. mouthfeel is light and fresh but also coating.

a bit too complex, too many flavors are happening which just generally makes the overall flavor taste a brown and mushed.

could be why mosaic isnt popular in brown ales, but also tye mix of mosaic, waimea, nugget and chinook is too much.

too bad i have about 15l of this stuff left over...

20200511_172054.jpg

159 - the red mosaic
fresh from the keg. not much aroma, a little raisin and lemon.

taste is all over the place. caramel with lemons and grapefruit, a little roasty, raisin with a hint of sour dough bread. bitterness settles in and the other flavors fade quickly. mouthfeel is light and fresh but also coating.

a bit too complex, too many flavors are happening which just generally makes the overall flavor taste a brown and mushed.

could be why mosaic isnt popular in brown ales, but also tye mix of mosaic, waimea, nugget and chinook is too much.

too bad i have about 15l of this stuff left over...

View attachment 25784
I suggest you hide the bottles somewhere dark and spidery and come back to them in the autumn. You might find it's all come together and make some more.

tried to throw in a quick, slow brew after work and ended up having the shittiest brewday ever. was tempted to try another keptinis with a few modifications. i used dme to concentrate the sugar and only baked half the mash. results below. it actually worked spectacularly.
20200511_170521.jpg

meanwhile i stupidly though i should keep the mash going with half the grain. at one point my braumiester decides to spit out half the wort all over the kitchen and then burn the wort on dry heating coils. so i cleaned the mess up added the rest of the baked mash back and let it run again for 20 minutes. gave it a stir to mix it all up and then again the thing starts spraying wort all over again. ended up with about 6l left over so roughly 6 litres are over the walls, counters and floor. ****.

finally finished a couple hours late and half a batch short and a session ale now. hopefully it doesnt suck too much.

Attachments

• 20200511_175346.jpg
    20200511_175346.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 114
172 - German Porter
12l batch - 1.064/1.018 - mash 67c/mashout 75c

1.50 kg​
46 %​
1.30 kg​
Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)​
39 %​
0.10 kg​
Brown Malt (300.0 EBC)​
3 %​
0.10 kg​
Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)​
3 %​
0.10 kg​
Carafa II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC)​
3 %​
0.10 kg​
Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)​
3 %​
0.10 kg​
Smoked Brown Malt (300.0 EBC)​
3 %​
15.00 g​
Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 50.0 min​
35 IBUs​
15.00 g​
Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min​
6 IBUs​
2.0 pkg​
Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M84) & brett from Orval/SS homebrew​
-​

i added both home roasted brown malts to the recipe. the smoked brown malt i roasted should give it a nice light smoke taste in the background. wondering if i should have use a little smoked malt in place of munich to give it a little more flavor. otherwise it held mostly true to that older recipe.

im going to do a small starter for some brett dregs i have from a bottle of orval and @strange-steve bretted beer, will probably add them after 2 days to let the m84 have a head start.

Last edited:
173 - Mozart Pale Ale
12l batch - 1.057/1.012 - mash 66c

i have a good variety of interesting beers to drink over the next few months, so thought it was a good time to go back to basics, with a ridiculously complicated recipe (fundamentally basic though) to use up some of the extra malts i have laying around. i am going through some single hop recipes with the hops i have in the freezer.

the first hop sample will be mozart "New Experimental Hop Variety from the UK, packed with flavour and aroma, when we first got to select this hop it was hard to believe it is a English hop due to how sticky and dank it was. Sister of CF182. Fruity and a little dank on the rub. American-esque in style."

the next batches will be motueka, columbus, el dorado and maybe mt hood and sladek.

i'll bitter with magnum so that is a constant with the same grain and water bill. hopefully the recipe doesnt suck too much. and then using starters with a couple packs of nottingham yeast to split up like @MyQul does. i will keep the ibus the same for the flavor and aroma additions and temper the dry hop based on alpha acid percentages. these are leaf hops so i increased everything by 10%

1.05 kg​
Hook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)​
37.6 %​
1.05 kg​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)​
37.6 %​
0.40 kg​
14.3 %​
0.09 kg​
Carabelge (39.4 EBC)​
3.2 %​
0.09 kg​
Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC)​
3.2 %​
0.05 kg​
Honey Malt (49.3 EBC)​
1.8 %​
0.05 kg​
BEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC)​
1.8 %​
10.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [9.90 %] - First Wort 45.0 min​
21.9 IBUs​
14.00 g​
CF169 (Mozart) [8.69 %] - Boil 15.0 min​
12.0 IBUs​
22.00 g​
CF169 (Mozart) [8.69 %] - Boil 7.0 min​
10.2 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]​
-​
55.00 g​
CF169 (Mozart) [8.69 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

finished off the above, ended up a bit high at 1.060 with only 11l. those mozart hops are dank, smelled like someone had burned one down during the boil.

bottled my saison which finished off at a perfect 1.006. m29 french saison is a lot different than belle saison and be-134. i get a lot more pepper. i am carbing this one up in the middle range at 2.5 volumes. tastes great, a lot of lemon and pepper.

i also transferred my german porter and dumped the brett dregs in. it still has a lot of yeast in and does not taste that good at this point. I also dumped in some of the dregs into the second keptinis batch i screwed up. i realize i don't like the k-97 i used, has a weird flavor that i dont like, so hopefully the brett will spruce it up. or else it's getting dumped.

pretty successful brewday today.

just realized i have a long list of reviews to do on some beer. i figure moving forward i will do a review after it has conditioned in the bottle for one month to keep up with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back