pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright here is the new brewing area. Plenty of storage for supplies, now I need to source 2 refrigerators one for bottles and one as a ferm chamber. I need to also make a trip to the local homebrew shop and start ordering some ingredients. Brewing gear should arrive towards the end of May, hopefully I can get a couple 220volt plugs in place by then. Oh and then the fun of figuring out the water specs. Best get to it.

View attachment 45090

Sounds exciting! I’m looking forward to seeing you back in the game.

Alright here is the new brewing area. Plenty of storage for supplies, now I need to source 2 refrigerators one for bottles and one as a ferm chamber. I need to also make a trip to the local homebrew shop and start ordering some ingredients. Brewing gear should arrive towards the end of May, hopefully I can get a couple 220volt plugs in place by then. Oh and then the fun of figuring out the water specs. Best get to it.
So you have a new kitchen just for brewing....:oops: Crikey that's a bit impressive.

So you have a new kitchen just for brewing....:oops: Crikey that's a bit impressive.
Ha yeah I guess I do, although it has to do double duty and be my home office as well. Which is a little bit awesome in a way, but dangerous too I think... when are you planning your imperial brew day?

Water seems pretty soft and surprisingly good for brewing. I might not even have to treat.
Screenshot_20210412-164030.png

205 - Cashmere Single Hop
10l batch - 1.054/1.010 - mash 67c

Big day today, first brewday in 6 months! Surprisingly everything went off without an issue other than me boiling for an extra 30 minutes waiting for the kettle to hit 99c and not realizing at this elevation boil temps are 93c. Now I need to figure out my hop utilization at these lower temps.

Brewed up a simple pale ale with Cashmere. Just in case something goes off. I think this may be my base single hop recipe to try out new hops. I tossed in a gram a gypsum which puts me at 50ppm sulphate and 2.2 sulphate to chloride ratio.

2.00 kg​
Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC)​
80.0 %​
0.40 kg​
Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)​
16.0 %​
0.10 kg​
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC)​
4.0 %​
13.00 g​
Cashmere [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
27.7 IBUs​
15.00 g​
Cashmere [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 90.2 C​
5.9 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Denny's Favorite (Wyeast Labs #1450) [124.21 ml]​
-​
28.00 g​
Cashmere [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

Spent some time getting the brewery set up. I officially have a fermenting chamber for the first time, I went a little low key chest freezer. It stays pretty cold in the basement so a week in the chamber should be just fine. Also picked up a used kegerator/refrigerator for cheap. I probably won't use the kegerator at this stage or ever I still like to bottle.

Still need to do some organizing and get an inkbird and a pH meter. But the next brewday should go much smoother this time around.

PXL_20210627_002833343.jpg

Spent some time getting the brewery set up. I officially have a fermenting chamber for the first time, I went a little low key chest freezer. It stays pretty cold in the basement so a week in the chamber should be just fine. Also picked up a used kegerator/refrigerator for cheap. I probably won't use the kegerator at this stage or ever I still like to bottle.

Still need to do some organizing and get an inkbird and a pH meter. But the next brewday should go much smoother this time around.

View attachment 49782
I'm jealous. My brewing area resembles Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs!

View attachment 49782
That’s a brew space I think I could grow into, maybe even nano-brewery scale production. I’d never be thirsty again! 😂

206 - Not H's Best Bitter
11l batch - 1.051/1.015 - mash 67c

Well I figured to give @Hazelwood Brewery bitter a shot once I get the right ingredients. Mainly flaked malt. However I really am in the mood for a nice best bitter with lower carbonation, So I made this one up on the fly. The Root Shoot Malting english ale malt is absolutely amazing, it really does remind me of a mixture of Maris otter and Golden Promise. I think I found a maltster I am going to stick with even with the $79 per 50lb price tag.

Well that brew day went a little too well, came out with 12l of 1.057? I think I will dump a liter of water in when I pitch to dilute it down a bit.

2.20 kg​
Root Shoot English Pale (6.0 EBC)​
90.5 %​
1.43 L​
0.10 kg​
Crystal, T50™ (Simpsons) (133.0 EBC)​
4.1 %​
0.07 L​
0.06 kg​
Crystal Extra Dark - 120L (Crisp) (236.4 EBC)​
2.5 %​
0.04 L​
0.05 kg​
Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (37.4 EBC)​
2.1 %​
0.03 L​
0.02 kg​
Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC)​
0.8 %​
0.01 L​
10.00 g​
East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
11.3 IBUs​
-​
6.00 g​
Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
10.2 IBUs​
-​
10.00 g​
Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min​
8.6 IBUs​
-​
10.00 g​
East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min​
5.7 IBUs​
-​
1.0 pkg​
English Ale I (Propagate Lab #MIP-431)​
-​
-​

Last edited:
It will obviously be a very different beer but if it tastes good….

I don’t mind you adapting the recipe to your own taste - unless your version beats mine in a competition 😉
Well I strayed even more, so once I get some flake barley I will give yours a go. Unfortunately we will never know in a comp.

207 - Orval Starter
3.5l batch - 1.057/1.010

Going to let my starter jump to 3.5l to see how it's coming along. It smells like a nice belgian yeast and I am not getting any brett unfortunately. I guess now I have quick access to liquid yeast so I can always go that route.

0.55 kg​
Spraymalt DME - Light [Boil] (9.8 EBC)​
Dry Extract​
1​
100.0 %​
0.35 L​
12.00 g​
East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min​
Hop​
2​
22.5 IBUs​
-​