Percentage of grape juice in kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am on it. Will hold you totally responsible. :thumb1:

Good man, you won't regret it. It's literally 2-3 times better than beaverdale/cal con (which I love) and literally tastes shop bought for £2 a bottle.

12L juice, plus a big bag of grape skins seems decent value at 60 quid, when the £50 range (Kenridge classic etc) are only 10L juice, and no skins.

Good man, you won't regret it. It's literally 2-3 times better than beaverdale/cal con (which I love) and literally tastes shop bought for £2 a bottle.

12L juice, plus a big bag of grape skins seems decent value at 60 quid, when the £50 range (Kenridge classic etc) are only 10L juice, and no skins.

Hey GDog, this is now 'bubbling'. Well not quite as I have literally just pitched the yeasties. Pretty substantial kit on first view but a couple of questions / observations.

1. Step 1.2 add bentonite. Followed instruction with hot tap water but ended with a grey watery mess with a load of claggy lumps in it that refused to dissolve. Added some boiling water but still could not get rid of all the sludge. Is this right? Never used bentonite in this form before.

2. Step 1.6 add the oak. So they give you two bags of oak. 'Oak American Medium' and 'Oak Medium Blend' stating that if you have oak CHIPS or GRANULAR then they go in now but if you have oak CUBES then they go in later. Be helpful IF they actually labelled the bags to correspond with the instructions perhaps?. I have added the lot as nothing looked like cubes to me. I have stuck with the recipe per se unlike I do with the Beaverdales when I normally add 750g or so of sugar.

Looking forward to this one even though I have now got 14 days of dunking the skins back down. ;)

Hey GDog, this is now 'bubbling'. Well not quite as I have literally just pitched the yeasties. Pretty substantial kit on first view but a couple of questions / observations.

1. Step 1.2 add bentonite. Followed instruction with hot tap water but ended with a grey watery mess with a load of claggy lumps in it that refused to dissolve. Added some boiling water but still could not get rid of all the sludge. Is this right? Never used bentonite in this form before.

2. Step 1.6 add the oak. So they give you two bags of oak. 'Oak American Medium' and 'Oak Medium Blend' stating that if you have oak CHIPS or GRANULAR then they go in now but if you have oak CUBES then they go in later. Be helpful IF they actually labelled the bags to correspond with the instructions perhaps?. I have added the lot as nothing looked like cubes to me. I have stuck with the recipe per se unlike I do with the Beaverdales when I normally add 750g or so of sugar.

Looking forward to this one even though I have now got 14 days of dunking the skins back down. ;)

1. Yes, the bentonite is a nightmare. I had the same problem, it must break down or sink eventually (it is essentially clay I think?) as at bottling, it was beautiful and clear.

2. Yes, you add both asthe beginning, at the same time - they are all chips as far as I'm aware and there are tons !

You add sugar to Beaverdale? That is a new one one me, to boost it a bit?

p.s. dunking the skins is a pain, i miss the 'odd' day, as sterilising the spoon is a bit of a **** on each time (I tend to just soak it in boiled water for 5 mins).

Al

How would you rate it alongside the Kenridge showcase range (16l juice)? I know the Kenridge is more (about 35p a bottle more?). I need to get another brew on so it has time to mature, and the Amarone is the best I have tasted, as good as any bottle I have bought, but always looking for alternatives.

Only ever done one Kendridge and that was not brilliant but it was early doors. The Wine Expert as GREAT potential. I have just cleared it and it VERY nice now. Hopefully will only get better. Some ambiguities with their instructions though. I am 17 days in. It took 13 to ferment out and the rest was spent on degassing, stabiliser and fining etc etc. Instructions now suggest anywhere up to 8 weeks prior to bottling. It is as clear as a bell now so I am confused.

I had a 4 month old Winexpert GSM+skins this week, and it's as nice as anything I've bought also. Unreal, fruity, body , I love it. Bottling the new batch tomorrow night.

@richytrue has just made a Kendrige Nebbiolo , and early tastings were so good he's ordered the Red-Trilogy. This is the classic though, not the 'Showcase' - is that re labelled as 'Atmosphere' now? £75 ish, is that the one? the reviews of that are amazing!

How would you rate it alongside the Kenridge showcase range (16l juice)? I know the Kenridge is more (about 35p a bottle more?). I need to get another brew on so it has time to mature, and the Amarone is the best I have tasted, as good as any bottle I have bought, but always looking for alternatives.

@davemorton I'm reading crazy reviews for the Kenridge Classic Amarone (Now 'Atmosphere') - does it come with grape skins, and how long do you leave it for? 16L Juice is BIG, and not much more expensive really I might order one.

I've ordered one (Atmosphere - Amarone Style).. £75 notes, ouch !

@Vinotinto , I'll feedback ASAP ! p.s. You tried the Winexpert GSM yet?

I've ordered one (Atmosphere - Amarone Style).. £75 notes, ouch !

@Vinotinto , I'll feedback ASAP ! p.s. You tried the Winexpert GSM yet?

oh, and before I forget , Morrisons have a special on Wolfblass red label , x2 for a tenner. @richytrue and I went halfies so we could do a taste test against a 4 month old Winexpert GSM+Skins. The results were astounding.

Rich scored the Winexpert GSM highest , up against a £7 commercial australian favourite of ours.
I scored them equally !!!

Total surprise..

When I was making Beaverdale et al (which I love) , I'd sometimes bring some commercial 5 euro plonk home from France , and love it - reminding myself that commercial wine had so much more body , but not any more.

Back