Perfect timer for brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least it will be right around 50% of the time, which is more than can be said for any Rolex I've owned.

GPS took all the fun out of navigating at sea.

For many years I navigated on the basis of "We are somewhere around here." with a vague circular motion on the chart; then I bought a GPS that told me it was accurate to within one metre! One metre? What a shock that was! I had no excuse for hitting or missing anything that stayed where it should be!

To get back to Rolex, in the good old days we had to use Chronometers that were never accurate but were always consistent with their errors and when using a sextant to navigate you needed the exact time in order to make an accurate calculation of where you were. This is why the Rolex watch is so revered.

My own Rolex Datejust Chronometer gains 6 seconds every day and this has remained unaffected by rain, hail, snow, immersion in water, vibration, shock, dust etc. When using it for navigation it was set against the noon "pips" on the radio, the date noted and then I added 6 seconds for every day until it was reset again, up to a month later.

Rolex? I love 'em! :thumb:

BTW logic tells us that a broken watch is much more accurate than a Rolex.

A Rolex that loses 6 seconds a day is only accurate once in +/- 40 years whereas a broken watch gives the correct time twice a day! :bow:

Latest posts

Back