Pet hates and food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of mine is underbaked pastry, why spend hundreds not including man hours making it for some numpty doing this at point of sale, the answer is turn your oven down so it bakes the side as well as top and bottom
26C1486D-0F43-4AC9-8480-75D595C22C9E.jpeg

Looks vile that Rodashock1
Hi Baron, this is a well known bakery near Boltons football ground, it not the bakery who is at fault it's shop staff who have no baking skills, this is a pre cooked filling so will not make you ill but raw fillings will be baked before they leave the bakery not on site, that's how we did it the only compliants were from shop baked goods, one manager spent 2 weeks training shop staff how to bake pie's it was futile with the high turnover of staff

1. I wouldn't like to be eating that and 2. it looks disgusting
It reminds me of being Microwaved

Mine is that +90% of Asian/Eastern restaurants and takeaways still bang out 1950's interpretations of their food for British people. We've moved on, watched Bourdain, give me the true food from your region, let me into your culture.

Poorly cooked tomatoes.

Fresh tommies on a full english that have been warmed in the oven. They can taste quite sour. People need to leave them in there to roast proper like, so they sweeten up.

Oh - and another thing.

Toast that isn't toast. Toast that is actually a slice of bread that's been drizzled with olive oil and griddled. That's not toast, that's griddled bread.

I had one of these once where the chef must have just waved the thing in the general direction of the kitchen to 'cook' it. It was literally warm bread.

I think I'm done for now.

For me it’s poorly cooked eggs, people may laugh that Delia Smiths how to cook book has an entire chapter on cooking eggs, but with some of this awful examples I have seen I would say it is needed.

Scrambled egg, it should be really simple, but the number of places that either make it in the microwave or over too high a temperature, leaving you with a rubbery mess. Annoying as made properly scrambled egg is one of my favourites.

Eggs Benedict a perfectly poached egg, bacon, and of course hollandaise sauce, a cafe that can get it right will have my custom for life, yet often the hollandaise is well proably being made in advance and seems to have being made of margarine rather than butter and half curdled, and the poached egg will be poached in a microwave of similar.

I would argue that if you want to determine the quality of a cafe then if it can get eggs right is a pretty good test.

if it can get eggs right is a pretty good test.
Not the first time I've heard that.
When you say "bacon," is that like regular, strip bacon or peameal bacon? Either would be delicious.
I worked at a chain restaurant (above middle quality for a medium-priced place) and the poached eggs would be cooked in a deep pot, when they floated up they were done. Here's the problem: They were then placed in ice water as sort of a holding pattern and then put in boiling water prior to serving.
I've had solid results with scrambled by using equal parts butter and olive oil in the steel pan, some milk in the whisked eggs.
Just like talking about food.

On topic: I have "peeves" but no "hates" unless we're talking about people getting bodily fluids in the food, handling food after going the bathroom without washing hands. Both instances actually observed.

When you say "bacon," is that like regular, strip bacon or peameal bacon? Either would be delicious.
I worked at a chain restaurant (above middle quality for a medium-priced place) and the poached eggs would be cooked in a deep pot, when they floated up they were done. Here's the problem: They were then placed in ice water as sort of a holding pattern and then put in boiling water prior to serving.
I've had solid results with scrambled by using equal parts butter and olive oil in the steel pan, some milk in the whisked eggs.

On topic: I have "peeves" but no "hates" unless we're talking about people getting bodily fluids in the food, handling food after going the bathroom without washing hands. Both instances actually observed.
Your comment about precooking and then just reheating poached eggs fills me with horror. As for bacon generally when I (or most Brits) say bacon it means back bacon (not sure if this has a different name in the USA).

1643985902666.jpeg

Although crispy streaky bacon can also be great

1643985951636.jpeg

And yes I fInd it is time consuming but would agree that to make decent scrambled egg you need lot of butter (and I would say to cook it over an extremely low temperature) giving fluffy buttery egg with a little black pepper it Is wonder which is why it irks me that so many places ruin what is one of my favourite breakfast’s and it is sadly rare to find a cafe or Ned and breakfast that does it justice.

Your comment about precooking and then just reheating poached eggs fills me with horror. As for bacon generally when I (or most Brits) say bacon it means back bacon (not sure if this has a different name in the USA).
You can prep some items with no loss of quality but others suffer. In that gray area, decisions are made to cut corners because of labor costs (lack of cooks to satisfy the demand) and so you get poached eggs in an ice bath unfortunately.
That meat fanned out looks really nice. There are different labels here which I'm not very knowledgeable about, relatively speaking.

I'm sure scrambled can be done on low with great results. Since I don't use non-stick I cook them on medium-high or high until they are just done and no more. However, since I'm 100% working the pan the entire time, there's no sitting and getting burned and so the high temperature doesn't reflect exactly what the scrambled eggs are experiencing.
I'll try low in the stainless steel pan to see if there will be no sticking (that thin egg coating on the pan bottom).
Edit: I forgot to mention that I eat scrambled eggs with ketchup. I'm told it is unusual/unappealing. I guessed that since my folks were from Canada, the habit came from there.

Last edited:
You can prep some items with no loss of quality but others suffer. In that gray area, decisions are made to cut corners because of labor costs (lack of cooks to satisfy the demand) and so you get poached eggs in an ice bath unfortunately.
That meat fanned out looks really nice. There are different labels here which I'm not very knowledgeable about, relatively speaking.

I'm sure scrambled can be done on low with great results. Since I don't use non-stick I cook them on medium-high or high until they are just done and no more. However, since I'm 100% working the pan the entire time, there's no sitting and getting burned and so the high temperature doesn't reflect exactly what the scrambled eggs are experiencing.
I'll try low in the stainless steel pan to see if there will be no sticking (that thin egg coating on the pan bottom).
I’ve probably too traumatised by overcooked rubbery scrabbled egg to be willing to risk doing it on a high heat, if it tastes good then fair enough but I find it is very difficult to screw up scrabbled egg doing it on a low heat while the poor results I’ve had at higher temperatures suggests that their is a very fine line between perfectly cooked and ruined, scrabbled egg tends to be a weekend breakfast and has a high risk of me being temporarily distracted by conversation, which probably doesn’t help the matter, As for sticking I just resign myself to using a stainless steel pot and having to scrub it clean afterwards, I hate that thin egg layer.

Like I said, no "hates" but definitely "peeves."
Overcooked meat.
Undercooked vegetables.
Not getting the pizza as ordered.
We don't eat out much because I can cook most stuff better. Having a few beers at a place is not under the same heading.

Not as common as it used to be but drizzled reduced balsamic vinegar as garnish on everything. Nothing benefits from a smear of sticky boiled cheap vinegar. Pretentious nonsense.

Plastic black olives.

Chips in a jenga stack or a tiny pretend frying basket.

I'm sure I can think of plenty of others, grumpy old sod that I am.

On topic: I have "peeves" but no "hates" unless we're talking about people getting bodily fluids in the food, handling food after going the bathroom without washing hands. Both instances actually observed.”

Touched on 2 of my biggest fears here Dave
A number of years ago I did some work in a new shop below a Chinese restaurant and in order to switch on the new supply to the new shop I had to go into the kitchen during service. On the hob was 4 large pots of various Chinese sauces all being stirred by a large Chinese man who was leaning over the front 2 pots to stir the back pots. The problem was he was sweating heavily and the sweat from his head/face was dripping into the front pots 🤢.
the offer of a free lunch was swiftly declined

the other is going into a public toilet and having the person p*ssing beside you finishing and then opening the door without washing his hands. when this happens to me I normally wait to the door opens and then bolt out without touching anything. It’s even worse when your in a restaurant and you see the person then eating bread with their hands:vomitintoilet:

@Donegal john
Yeah, I've seen a lot, dozens if not hundreds of blatant health code violations. I have to turn off what I know about what really goes on. One guy's nose was always dripping and to make it worse, he worked pantry (salads and sandwiches--all the uncooked stuff). I said something to a manager and got nothing in response.
Had fast food years ago from a place and I got so sick I was inches from going to the hospital--coming out violently from both ends. Incidentally, If one's bathtub is situated near the toilet, I can't say how much intrinsic value that has.
I am convinced I consumed feces or worse (if there is worse). Obviously, I've never been back.

@Donegal john
Yeah, I've seen a lot, dozens if not hundreds of blatant health code violations. I have to turn off what I know about what really goes on. One guy's nose was always dripping and to make it worse, he worked pantry (salads and sandwiches--all the uncooked stuff). I said something to a manager and got nothing in response.
Had fast food years ago from a place and I got so sick I was inches from going to the hospital--coming out violently from both ends. Incidentally, If one's bathtub is situated near the toilet, I can't say how much intrinsic value that has.
I am convinced I consumed feces or worse (if there is worse). Obviously, I've never been back.
I have been in turkey on holiday and spent 2 days in an un airconditioned bathroom doing the Turkish trots oh and you can’t flush your toilet paper it has to go in the bin and the maid comes every 2nd day

Latest posts

Back