Pet hates and food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like most foods, but raw celery is awful. I do like the flavour of cooked celery and its use in soffritto.

Potato puree at top restaurants is almost always appalling. Learn to mash it properly you fuds, or at least don't use waxy salad potatoes for it.

The uk has a long and embarassing history of overcooking food, but the fairly recent growth of new restaurants who present vegetables that are just warmed rather than cooked needs to stop.

In the uk we have a great climate for growing interesting and flavoursome salads, so when a side salad consists of limp iceberg and browing five day old carrots I despair.

Reading through this alot of it rings true with me.

Unfortunately my wife does most of our day to day cooking as I'm working until 5 - 5:30pm, she finishes before 3pm to get the kids from school, and the kids are getting hungry by 5. She's not a terrible cook but something's she does I just have to grin and bear, criticising it would not go well, it's bad enough if one of the kids decides they don't like whatever she's put in front of us. She's quite impatient when it comes to cookery so doesn't like to "waste" much time on it. The other problem is she's quite a fussy eater and two of my most favourite food groups, fish and fungus, she detests so we never have them. I'd really like to do more to help but it just doesn't work time wise at the moment.

So, squeaky green beans got a mention somewhere earlier, don't get me wrong I don't like my vegetables overdone but when they're bordering on raw because they've been mistimed this I don't like.

Her take on scrambled eggs involves breaking the eggs whole into the pan the mixing them up while they cook. Leads to flecks of white that aren't mixed in and she generally over does them.

She'll muller a slice of toast spreading butter on it that's a bit too cold rather than waiting for it to melt. You want it with a crunch on the outside but still the soft bit in the middle.

One of the "I've not been to the shops" staples is cheesy pasta, my heart sinks when this is suggested. A very poor white sauce where the flour hasn't been cooked out enough dolloped onto a bowl of pasta, then cheese grated on and mixed in. That's it, no bacon or anything nice like that in it. Often accompanied by baked beans. I'm sure one time it was even just a bowl of pasta with cheese grated over.

And finally, lumpy mash. Not sure how it's still lumpy after she's made a load of noise smashing it up, probably didn't cook the spuds for long enough. However one time she tried to improve on this by using the electric blender on it which turned it into a glutenous mess.

Oh and one final final thing I promise. Freezing stuff without labelling it leading to freezer Russian roulette.

I supposed I haven't starved or been poisoned though 😅

Reading through this alot of it rings true with me.

Unfortunately my wife does most of our day to day cooking as I'm working until 5 - 5:30pm, she finishes before 3pm to get the kids from school, and the kids are getting hungry by 5. She's not a terrible cook but something's she does I just have to grin and bear, criticising it would not go well, it's bad enough if one of the kids decides they don't like whatever she's put in front of us. She's quite impatient when it comes to cookery so doesn't like to "waste" much time on it. The other problem is she's quite a fussy eater and two of my most favourite food groups, fish and fungus, she detests so we never have them. I'd really like to do more to help but it just doesn't work time wise at the moment.

So, squeaky green beans got a mention somewhere earlier, don't get me wrong I don't like my vegetables overdone but when they're bordering on raw because they've been mistimed this I don't like.

Her take on scrambled eggs involves breaking the eggs whole into the pan the mixing them up while they cook. Leads to flecks of white that aren't mixed in and she generally over does them.

She'll muller a slice of toast spreading butter on it that's a bit too cold rather than waiting for it to melt. You want it with a crunch on the outside but still the soft bit in the middle.

One of the "I've not been to the shops" staples is cheesy pasta, my heart sinks when this is suggested. A very poor white sauce where the flour hasn't been cooked out enough dolloped onto a bowl of pasta, then cheese grated on and mixed in. That's it, no bacon or anything nice like that in it. Often accompanied by baked beans. I'm sure one time it was even just a bowl of pasta with cheese grated over.

And finally, lumpy mash. Not sure how it's still lumpy after she's made a load of noise smashing it up, probably didn't cook the spuds for long enough. However one time she tried to improve on this by using the electric blender on it which turned it into a glutenous mess.

Oh and one final final thing I promise. Freezing stuff without labelling it leading to freezer Russian roulette.

I supposed I haven't starved or been poisoned though 😅
Ha ha ha
Psissing myself laughing here.
my wife does a lot of the cooking for the same reasons but I have to say hers is normally edible as long as I get to season it behind her back. And for everything else there is Nando’s hot sauce.
my wife once made an Indian for me using a jar of fancy sauce but it tasted very bland and had no heat at all (madras I think) it’s only when tidying up after dinner I found the jar with the spices in the lid still sitting there unused.
bless her she tries and we have to love them for it.

Wow. I always thought the wife being a bad cook was a tv trope- not that common.
My wife is a pretty good cook, but a better baker.
I started cooking only 10 years ago- entirely taught by the internet, several restaurants have offered me jobs after trying my stuff (met the owners at local get togethers where I brought some dishes).
I’m now capable of telling the difference in quality of meat from the grocery store vs. the small artisan farmer’s stuff.
When I started, I couldn’t cook eggs! With internet access, there is no excuse, anymore.
(Heck, I even Make my own charcuterie, now- duck breast prosciutto and pate!)

Last edited:
I lived with a Russian sheila for three years, My mother had never introduced us to garlic, I could not stand the stuff! Roll mops I could put up with, I didn't have to eat them. She was a raven haired beauty, almond eyes, hour glass figure, wall to wall sex, but every night we would have an argument about the inclusion of garlic in every meal. She used to eat garlic sandwiches FFS! Came to a head the night she promised me a nice roast dinner, even had Yorkshire puddings. Dinner served, I had a sniff, no garlic. Poured on my gravy, the garlic was in the gravy! Moral of the story I now love garlic and eat it all the time, if only my mother had introduced me to garlic.

I lived with a Russian sheila for three years, My mother had never introduced us to garlic, I could not stand the stuff! Roll mops I could put up with, I didn't have to eat them. She was a raven haired beauty, almond eyes, hour glass figure, wall to wall sex, but every night we would have an argument about the inclusion of garlic in every meal. She used to eat garlic sandwiches FFS! Came to a head the night she promised me a nice roast dinner, even had Yorkshire puddings. Dinner served, I had a sniff, no garlic. Poured on my gravy, the garlic was in the gravy! Moral of the story I now love garlic and eat it all the time, if only my mother had introduced me to garlic.
She was only ensuring that you weren't a vampire 😁 Worth putting up with from what you describe 😉

Back