PH adjustment.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky B

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I've brewed several all grain brews and my beer always tastes way too bitter, irrespective of what recipe I attempt. I think I've finally worked out that's it's not bitterness but astringency due to the PH of my water which i measured yesterday at 6.2. The whole water treatment looks bewilderingly complex, but I don't want to go buy 30 litres of mineral water for cost and single use plastic reasons. My question therefore is how due I reduce the PH to the target zone of 5.2 - 5.4 for a say, 28 litre boil when my current PH sits at 6.2. Or what chemicals and how much ?? Appreciate any help !

I've just bought a pH tester as it was one of the things that I never bothered to check (or correct). You can pick up bottles of CRS from any LHBS or online, and a calculator should be able to tell you how much to add.

There are many detailed threads regarding water treatment in the Grain, Hops, Water etc sub, so check them out for stuff written by folk much cleverer than me :D

@Marky B an important clarification, the target zone you mention (about pH 5.2 - 5.6) is for the mash, not the water. Interestingly the pH of the water used has practically no effect on the resulting mash pH. The value you need to know is the alkalinity of your water.

I've just bought a pH tester as it was one of the things that I never bothered to check (or correct). You can pick up bottles of CRS from any LHBS or online, and a calculator should be able to tell you how much to add.

There are many detailed threads regarding water treatment in the Grain, Hops, Water etc sub, so check them out for stuff written by folk much cleverer than me :D
Thanks !

@Marky B an important clarification, the target zone you mention (about pH 5.2 - 5.6) is for the mash, not the water. Interestingly the pH of the water used has practically no effect on the resulting mash pH. The value you need to know is the alkalinity of your water.
lol - i already figured that out since posing the question having read up further !

lol - i already figured that out since posing the question having read up further !
and i just so happen to have a water tester for our spa, the ALK measurement for our tap water is 148 - think I might be homing in on the issue !

I really like Brewfather app for that, it can auto adjust to aim for water for particular style and tell you how much additive to add - like gypsum, epsom salts etc. I started using RO water recently and hoppy pale was brill.

I really like Brewfather app for that, it can auto adjust to aim for water for particular style and tell you how much additive to add - like gypsum, epsom salts etc. I started using RO water recently and hoppy pale was brill.
great thanks !

Latest posts

Back