Ph Meter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DJY8AYG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's not that great to be honest and I only trust it down to a 0.1 difference. Even when calibrating with the two defined buffer solutions it's impossible to get the meter reading both solutions perfectly. I use it for measuring the pH of kettle soured beer.

Not exactly the answer you're hoping for, but if you want more reliable control then spend more than this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DJY8AYG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's not that great to be honest and I only trust it down to a 0.1 difference. Even when calibrating with the two defined buffer solutions it's impossible to get the meter reading both solutions perfectly. I use it for measuring the pH of kettle soured beer.

Not exactly the answer you're hoping for, but if you want more reliable control then spend more than this!

When i cleaned out a cupboard i found 5 of those all broken from when i had fish. Could of bought a decent one for that. The tips broke on all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Flatline9 and BeerCat, yeah, I was wondering about the cheap ones - they are normally cheap for a reason :) there are a few nearer 'mid range' price around but again no clear recommendation I can find for any specific one. I am not going to spend silly money on one at the moment so - more research needed

Have you looked into better strips? Like the 4 coloured ones give you a pretty accurate reading. I'm not sure you get more accurate with the cheap or mid range pH meters. It would have to be a unit with separate electrode to be more accurate.

What is your budget? OK-ish recallibrateable ones start around 70 quid. If you buy one make sure to order a storage buffer and calibrating fluid too.

Separate electrodes or else filthy cheap devices are no bad idea. Buying a really expensive probe might seem like a good investment, until the probe tires and is no longer providing reliable readings. About a year, you'd be pushing it to get two years out of them, hence replaceable electrodes or going for something cheap.

pH electrodes do not last forever however much they've cost. Don't forget this when getting tempted by the flashier models.

Looking after them, keeping them damp, calibrating frequently (more so as they get older), is a better policy than spending loads of dosh.

Back