Ph Meter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy6Mac

Reaction score
Have been using the Ph paper strips to test the Ph of the four AG mashes i have done so far, but still struggling to see the correct color on the paper strip etc.
Can anybody recommend a half decent ph meter at a reasonable cost

I never had a problem with the cheap chinese ones from ebay, around £10 - £20. I would recommend buying buffering solution and calibrate after ever few brews to make sure it's correct.

I bought an Apera pH Meter for keeping Hot Tub "right"

I was fed up with looking at the Colours using Strips or a Palintest set up and I wanted to know the actualy number

Check it out on Amazon (quite a few Models) and mine cost around £40 - and it is a1 and does the job

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, wherrypuzzled. Did have a look a couple of days ago but there seemed a few to choose from so will have another look later this week. I like woodfordes wherry, and a couple of their other beers.

I have used a few different pH meters as two of my brewing mates and I have all had different types. One of my mates had a cheap one he bought for about $20 at a home brew shop which was difficult to read, seemed quite fragile, and only read to one decimal place, but actually worked surprisingly well and seemed accurate.

I bought a more expensive model from an Australian company - HM Digital PH-200 Waterproof Hand Held PH Test Meter

It was about AU$140, but did not seem very accurate. It fluctuated more wildly than my mate’s cheap $20 meter and did not match up to my water calculator’s predictions (I used Bru’n’water which is well regarded).

I have had a look at various other options, and if I was going to get one now I would get the following from Hanna:
https://www.hannainstruments.co.uk/hi-98108-phep-ph-tester-deg-c.html
It’s cheap at about £60, and has great resolution (0.01) and accuracy (+/- 0.05) according to the details on their website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602_215418_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602_215418_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back