PH of mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodlebrew

Reaction score
Hello again, I was just curious if any of you have a good solution for getting the mash PH down to 5.2?

Cheers,

It depends on your water. If you're struggling to keep lower pH, maybe your water alkalinity is too high. As Brew_DD2 says, you could use some acid malt. The alternative is CRS, lactic acid, or phosphoric acid in your strike water, or to use RO or distilled water. Another alternative is Tesco Ashbeck water which is on the lower side of pH for mineral water and has low residual alkalinity. As such, it's a good starting point for other water treatment.

One thing I'm unsure about is when the best time to check mash pH is? Is it just after doughing in, or later than that?
Thanks

One thing I'm unsure about is when the best time to check mash pH is? Is it just after doughing in, or later than that?
Thanks
I usually check after about 15 minutes. I remember reading somewhere that you should wait at least 10mins. Sooner than that can give an inaccurate reading as the science stuff it still happening.

Latest posts

Back