Philly sour yeast and pellicules - help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottlesCansCraft

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently trying brewing with philly sour yeast from lallemand and post fermentation (with everything going to plan and hitting FG and pH) I opened my fermentor to see the image below.

Thinking I must of messed up and gained an infection I threw this batch away, but after doing some further reading it mentions this is potentially expected?

Has anyone else experienced this, and does it mean anything has gone wrong?

thanks

Attachments

• AE447A6C-F0CE-45F6-87BA-E3CAD0B2F129.jpeg
    AE447A6C-F0CE-45F6-87BA-E3CAD0B2F129.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 79
It's just a pellicle. Could have siphoned off the beer below it. Never tried that yeast so don't know if it's normal with this yeast.

I haven't used that product, but wouldn't be surprised or concerned about a pellicle forming. Even if you had picked up a contamination I don't think it would have been detrimental to the outcome, possibly quite the opposite.

There's some interesting info on pellicles here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phdinbeer.com/2015/01/30/beer-microbiology-what-is-a-pellicle/amp/
And a thread for all things mixed fermentation here, where a few members have used Philly Sour.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/the-mixed-fermentation-thread.80526/

Last edited:
I don't think Philly Sour causes pellicles- it's a lactic acid producing yeast, not a bacteria.

I also don't think that's a pellicle on your beer. I could be wrong but doesn't look like a pellicle to me. Philly Sour is a different species of yeast (Lachancea) to regular brewing yeasts and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if it looked different in the fermenter. I've used it once but can't remember what it looked like.

Chucking beer away is a last resort!

Hi,

I have recently trying brewing with philly sour yeast from lallemand and post fermentation (with everything going to plan and hitting FG and pH) I opened my fermentor to see the image below.

Thinking I must of messed up and gained an infection I threw this batch away, but after doing some further reading it mentions this is potentially expected?

Has anyone else experienced this, and does it mean anything has gone wrong?

thanks
I recently made a Raspberry Hibiscus Berliner Weisse and experienced something similar. I kegged half the batch and bottled the rest, beer came out fine and no adverse effects

Lots of great info on sui generis website. I used the philly sour for a sour IPA and the krausen and foam is different to a normal yeast ( having watched it thru a fermentasaurus) I'd have tasted the beer before chucking it if I was concerned. But I'd be more worried about the next brew decontamination etc if there was an infection.
I'd hardly call that a pellicle either, often end up with some rafts of yeast on the surface at the end of primary ferment with all yeasts.

Lots of great info on sui generis website. I used the philly sour for a sour IPA and the krausen and foam is different to a normal yeast ( having watched it thru a fermentasaurus) I'd have tasted the beer before chucking it if I was concerned. But I'd be more worried about the next brew decontamination etc if there was an infection.
I'd hardly call that a pellicle either, often end up with some rafts of yeast on the surface at the end of primary ferment with all yeasts.
Thanks, I did try it and it was fine, but just got worried as I hadn't seen anything like it before. I've chucked away the plastic fermentor and got a new one just to be safe. Had 20+ brews without any issues in it previously.

As long as it tastes ok, is there any health dangers to what looks like an infection? Could it make you ill at all?

Latest posts

Back