Phone apps.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I've used Chrome as my browser on mobile and desktop for 10 years or so now there is an update coming which will basically disable adblocker so I guess I'll move to Firefox when that happens.

If you haven't already tried it give Opera a go text wrap is a godsend for me and it also has ad blocking built in.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser&hl=en_GB

● Read comfortably on any screen:
The Opera browser includes a text size setting which helps you adapt pages according to your reading preferences. More importantly, it works perfectly together with our automatic text wrap feature for an unparalleled reading experience.

● Block ads for faster browsing:
Opera’s native ad blocker effectively helps you get rid of intrusive ads and loads your pages faster to streamline your browsing experience. Now, we have added the option to eliminate a vast majority of annoying cookie and privacy dialogs.

Replaio Radio to stream radio stations while I'm on the train or at work. I used to use Tune In Radio until it started to go wrong right about the time they started stuffing it with ads and other junk. Replaio's one of the few apps I've thought it worth paying for.

Having read a few REVIEWS i decided to give it a go and am well impressed. :thumba:

I use something called Simplenote, which is a very basic but very useful notepad type app. It syncs with its stable mate Resophnotes on the pc or Mac so that as soon as you make a note on your phone it appears on your desktop and vice versa. There is no text formatting or pictures allowed but that means virtually any web page is easy to copy and paste, and you can group notes into folder type collections.

The other one I have which is a bit of an oddball is what3words. This is an app which gives any one metre square anywhere in the world a description made up of, yes you guessed it, just 3 words. It is now the default for a lot of emergency services so that if you should suddenly need help you don't have to give any other description than the 3 words that mark your spot. Very ingenious, though thankfully I've not had to use it in anger yet!

David

Zello - turns your phone into a push-to-talk intercom over wi-fi or 3G/4G

DarkSky - very localised weather with rain radar

LastPass - password manager

Looking at dark sky now, i have lastpass on my PC but not on phone.

If you haven't already tried it give Opera a go text wrap is a godsend for me and it also has ad blocking built in.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.browser&hl=en_GB

● Read comfortably on any screen:
The Opera browser includes a text size setting which helps you adapt pages according to your reading preferences. More importantly, it works perfectly together with our automatic text wrap feature for an unparalleled reading experience.

● Block ads for faster browsing:
Opera’s native ad blocker effectively helps you get rid of intrusive ads and loads your pages faster to streamline your browsing experience. Now, we have added the option to eliminate a vast majority of annoying cookie and privacy dialogs.
Don't all browsers do this? Chrome certainly blocks all intrusive ads, and Edge Beta is also V Good. I no longer use ad blockers.

Don't all browsers do this? Chrome certainly blocks all intrusive ads, and Edge Beta is also V Good. I no longer use ad blockers.

jceg316 said he has used chrome for years but they plan to stop ad-blockers in an upcoming update hence my tip to try Opera, text wrap was the main reason i switched from Chrome and Firefox to Opera on my tablet and phone i still use chrome on my desktop as it just works for me but if they do stop us using ad-blockers i may have switch.

Back