Pi Zero

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m about to order a Pi zero and Wondered what else I needed to output temperature and Gravity onto a small screen running off the Pi, Could anbody advise me what else I need I’m thinking ispindle as cost is a issue and I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

cheers

Hi All,

I’m about to order a Pi zero and Wondered what else I needed to output temperature and Gravity onto a small screen running off the Pi, Could anbody advise me what else I need I’m thinking ispindle as cost is a issue and I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

cheers
I would go for Pi Zero W as it has embedded wi-fi. You need the screen, obviously, but I guess you have already factored that in. My setup is descried here: How to use iSpindel without external service
Happy to answer any questions you may have on the setup.

Thanks for that I haven’t ordered it yet was going to go for pie zero w with the soldered GPIO headers and a ispindle and a small screen which all I want is the gravity and temperature displayed. Saw something like this online a couple of days ago and it piqued my interest. I’m also looking into learning to code been 30 years since I programmed Basic on the old Acorn machines.

You can just use an iSpindel with Ubidots for free, quite simple to set up and gives you temp and gravity. You'll just need wifi signal wherever you are fermenting. Also, if you have a Brewfather subscription then you can link the iSpindel up directly there - a year's worth of that costs less than the Pi set up... I'd not be too worried about spam bots seeing your fermentation progress!

I was thinking about a raspberry, then I had a look in Android tablets, I bought a 10" Acer and a Hama wall mount, working fine, and looks cool. Without any hassle.

You can just use an iSpindel with Ubidots for free, quite simple to set up and gives you temp and gravity. You'll just need wifi signal wherever you are fermenting. Also, if you have a Brewfather subscription then you can link the iSpindel up directly there - a year's worth of that costs less than the Pi set up... I'd not be too worried about spam bots seeing your fermentation progress!
Agreed. As long as WiFi is in range you only need iSpindel and BF

Thanks everyone I’ve ordered a pi and ispindle anyway I wanted the pi to get back into coding anyway I have a Brewfather Subscription as well so will use that. I normally ferment in my cellar directly underneath my router so Wi-Fi isn’t a problem. My cellar is ideal for fermentation as it’s constantly 18 degrees all year round although in winter I do resort to a heat pad.

Brewfather and iSpindel make a great combo:
1634208615492.png

And, if you are already subscribed, no additional cost or bother! If you get your iSpindel from Asset Solutions they will calibrate it and link it to your Brewfather account.

Back