Pickling chillies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to have more chillies this year than I can eat fresh (I know: wuss!) so I fancy having a go at pickling the surplus.

Has anyone got any good tips or recipes they could share? At the momemt I'm leaning towards this one on the BBC site because it looks easy to do.

It looks like I'm going to have more chillies this year than I can eat fresh (I know: wuss!) so I fancy having a go at pickling the surplus.

Has anyone got any good tips or recipes they could share? At the momemt I'm leaning towards this one on the BBC site because it looks easy to do.
Looks like a good recipe. Only thing I would say is avoid cooking the chillies too much (err on 3 rather than 5 mins in my opinion) as the chillies go soft.

I've got a Jamie Oliver recipe somewhere that is also dead easy, will try to find it.

Here's Jamie Oliver 'speedy preserved chilli slices'. The chillies aren't heated so stay crisp and fresh tasting.

IMG_20200809_132554535.jpg

I reckon you could use a bit of calcium chloride to keep them crisp. Luckily a thing which most of us would have kicking around.

I also do a lot of pickling with the vacuum packer. I guess lots of people have them these days. Super fast pickles!

Coincidentally I have been making chilli sauce this morning. Plums, mixture of hot chillies (Naga etc), sugar, vinegar, ginger and garlic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_133129252.jpg
    IMG_20200809_133129252.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 75
My only issue with that Jamie recipe is that the vinegar isn't diluted so it could well end up being far too sharp. Generally a 50.50 mix of water and vinegar is plenty strong enough. I don't boil when I pickle in the vac packer and there's no spoilage as long as everything is covered with the pickling liquid.

I am trying a two stage pickle this year. Can't find the blog I got the idea from though for the full recipe

first stage is to wash chillies, slit them and put in a jar with a brine of 3.5% salt and 3.5% sugar solution, let it ferment for a week.

Then drain and pour over hot sweetened vinegar, use 400g sugar to each litre of vinegar. I also put some CaCl2 into the solution to help keep them crisp. seal and bob's your mothers brother. I dilute the vinegar a bit though, I find straight 5% vinegar a bit too overpowering.

I freeze and dry others too, depends on the chilli. I've got Alleppos this year so drying them, Aci Sivri, biquinhos and Jalapenos are getting pickled and will probably freeze more jalapenos

Turkish cuisine has a lot of pickles, worth having a google for them for ideas

Coincidentally I have been making chilli sauce this morning. Plums, mixture of hot chillies (Naga etc), sugar, vinegar, ginger and garlic.

That got me inspired to make my own hot sauce today so I made it by following this recipe using 135g of my Santa Fe Grande. It tastes nice and spicy with garlic and a pleasant sweetness.

ka7W9Ho.jpg

I left most of the seeds in but did save back about 50 to dry for next year's planting and to give away to friends.

Latest posts

Back