Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who remembers these -

1647365732846.png

Who remembers these -

1647369156546.png
Aww! Had one on my first couple of cars. The second was a split screen 1953 Moggy Minor 803cc (but I dropped an 1100 engine in from a Mini). Took it on the Harwich-to-Hook of Hollland car ferry; had to use the crank of course to get it going when it was disembarkation time. Thankfully it went first time each way.

We had our first son, 1 year old, in a carry-cot on the back seat - cot was strapped in with a couple of little webbing straps. I don't somehow think you could get away with that now.

I wish they still had them a flat battery is not good.
Any idea on how you would have it towed to the mechanic?

You put a jump pack on the car if it still won't start at least you can then transport it.

Its not just the handbrake it's also the steer lock, auto gearbox if it has one, then you also have keyless entry which I would never choose to have given the option.

Any idea on how you would have it towed to the mechanic?

Normally there is a mechanical method to release the caliper for system failure. The breakdown company should know how and may be in the handbook.

I wish they still had them a flat battery is not good.

You put a jump pack on the car if it still won't start at least you can then transport it.

Its not just the handbrake it's also the steer lock, auto gearbox if it has one, then you also have keyless entry which I would never choose to have given the option.
Almost all cars apart from small number of new BEV have a mechanical backup key to get in hidden in the keyfob

The hidden key will get you into the car but you still have the problem of a stuck handbrake, steering lock and auto gearbox

Early electronic handbrakes were "a problem", we had one fail and the only method to release was cut the cable through a special "port". My understanding is that newer systems have a mechanical release somewhere? Yes, we did have keyless entry and there was a key in the fob to open the doors.

The above happened to me one year. I dropped my wife and a friend of hers at the Hampton Court flower show with a promise to collect them later when they phoned me.
It was the last day of the show when a lot of the plants are sold off at the end of the day. When I went to collect the pair of them they ahs bought up a load of bargain plants without thinking of how to get them home.

Latest posts

Back