Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the kitchen was also the bathroom.

1652898523107.png
First flat we had (Ealing, above a ladies hairdressers, late '70s) was the other way round - the 'kitchen' (kitchenette, really) did not have a sink - you had to go do the washing up in the handbasin or bath in the bathroom.

Why did they use letters as well as numbers?

View attachment 66484

Before STD it was normal to dial the Exchange and the Number of the person or organisation you wanted to talk to; and it was a lot quicker than dialling the Operator and waiting for someone to answer!

Imagine the effort to dial Whitehall 1212 which everyone knew was Scotland Yard!

Enjoy!
:hat:

If things carry on the way they are we may be seeing these scenes again.

Britain 1947: Poverty, queues, rationing - and resilience.
Women look happy to take home coal and coke after waiting in long queues.

1652971541791.png

Remember when many of us wore hand knitted clothes.
The sales rush begins and eager housewives crowd around the counter in a Liverpool wool shop in 1968.
Image credit Corbis Press.

1653068677923.png

Remember when many of us wore hand knitted clothes.
The sales rush begins and eager housewives crowd around the counter in a Liverpool wool shop in 1968.
Image credit Corbis Press.

View attachment 68697
I once asked my Mam for a bag of rags so that I could get a goldfish like the kid next door. (*) Looking back, I was probably wearing most of the rags!

Back in the day it started as a skein of wool that youngsters held as Mam turned it into a ball. (My arms and shoulders ache at the memory of sitting there with the skein draped over my wrists!)

The ball of wool then became a sweater (which was pulled down when it was outgrown or holes appeared), then a pullover (ditto above), then a pair of socks (remember how cold those three knitting needles were when you tried them on for size?) or mittens, or gloves, or a scarf, or a hat? (I still hate Tam o’Shanter hats!)

Oh, let’s not forget that most holes were darned. Mam even included a Darning Needle and Mushroom in my Ditty Box when she packed me off to sea!

Happy Days!
:hat:

(*)
The Rag & Bone man didn’t have any goldfish left and gave me a thrupenny bit instead!

I didn’t agree ‘cos I knew I would never see the money again, but he just slammed the back doors of his van shut, said something like “Get used to it.” and drove off.

I handed the money over to my Mam (never to be seen again) and attempted to cut the Rag & Bone man’s head off the next time he came! Long story, probably a bit extreme for a nine year old and anyway, I failed!
:D

Back