Pigs Trotters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like pigs trotters, I have been trying to convince my wife that they are nutritious and have loads of collagen which is why Asian women have a good complexion. She reckons that the gelatin and collagen is just fat.
I am going to try an Asian recipe next go and see if I can convince her to try them.
This is the recipe I will be doing. Any other recipes will be gratefully considered.

I like pigs trotters, I have been trying to convince my wife that they are nutritious and have loads of collagen which is why Asian women have a good complexion. She reckons that the gelatin and collagen is just fat.
I am going to try an Asian recipe next go and see if I can convince her to try them.
This is the recipe I will be doing. Any other recipes will be gratefully considered.

I like using them to add collagen to stews. I have found though using chicken feet to be just as good for this purpose and cheaper.

Not a recipe per se but I remember having English breakfast in Hawksmoor which is a chain of high end steak restaurants in London and couldn't quite identify what was wrong with the baked beans. Turns out they mix shredded pigs trotters in with them. Just plain wrong.

I like using them to add collagen to stews. I have found though using chicken feet to be just as good for this purpose and cheaper.
Pigs trotters are cheap here, as are the hocks, the last hocks I cooked in Coca Cola I used the gelatin in a batch of Pork pies I made.
Not a recipe per se but I remember having English breakfast in Hawksmoor which is a chain of high end steak restaurants in London and couldn't quite identify what was wrong with the baked beans. Turns out they mix shredded pigs trotters in with them. Just plain wrong.
What did they taste like, was it Heinz baked beans, or something like Gordon Ramsey cooks up for his kids?

One of the things I dislike about high end restaurants is they overdo even the simple things. IMO you can't beat simple food cooked well.

I have never tried trotters, but do use hock in some soups and there is quite a lot of meat in there. Even when I kept pigs I don't think they were included in what we got back from our butcher.

One of the things I dislike about high end restaurants is they overdo even the simple things. IMO you can't beat simple food cooked well.

I have never tried trotters, but do use hock in some soups and there is quite a lot of meat in there. Even when I kept pigs I don't think they were included in what we got back from our butcher.
Certainly is a lot of meat on a hock, I watched some Russians eat at the Prague beer festival sausages in a roll with sauerkraut and a hock. I couldn't even get through a hock.
011.JPG

018.JPG

Oh how I agree!

My own bone of contention is "Heinz Tomato Soup". I've been all over the world, stayed in some of the finest restaurants available, in some of the fines hotels and NONE of them can make a decent Tomato Soup!

The down-side of my travels was in Singapore when a Canadian colleague attempted to take me to a McDonalds for lunch. Luckily I had been there before and persuaded him (actually told him to stick his McDonalds where the monkey put his nuts) to go to the Ferry Terminal where we dined on tiny caramelised squid and fried rice instead!

Happy Days!

PS

After staying in some of these hotels I've got so fed up with fancy food that I've had Room Service deliver to my room salt and vinegar, four slices of fresh bread and butter (uncut 'cos there's nowt worse than trying to make a Chip-Butty out of a slice of bread that has been cut into triangles!), and a bowl of chips! This was rather than shame the Chef by eating them in the restaurant!

Peasant? Me? Of course! athumb.. athumb..

I had a client who insisted on taking me for a meal in Quanjude, probably the best restaurant in Beijing, I agreed as long as she let me treat her before I left the country.
upload_2020-3-15_13-43-20.jpeg

I asked her where she would like to go, anywhere she wanted.
IMG_4607.0.jpg

Yep, Pizza Hut! And Chinese cheese is absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back