PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never sleep after my last night shift so had the day to myself to get a brew on. A more traditional bitter this time as I've been doing a lot of pale ales.

2.7 kg otter
200g crystal
50g choc malt

Mashed in at 68 for 60 mins.

Boil, 20g northern brewer @60
15 ekg @15
10 fugggles @15
100g golden syrup @10
10g amarillo at flameout.

Hit 1058 shooting for 1062 according to beersmith, 44 ibu's. Wort is bleddy lovely. Pitched CML's real ale yeast at 20c.

Never sleep after my last night shift so had the day to myself to get a brew on. A more traditional bitter this time as I've been doing a lot of pale ales.

2.7 kg otter
200g crystal
50g choc malt

Mashed in at 68 for 60 mins.

Boil, 20g northern brewer @60
15 ekg @15
10 fugggles @15
100g golden syrup @10
10g amarillo at flameout.

Hit 1058 shooting for 1062 according to beersmith, 44 ibu's. Wort is bleddy lovely. Pitched CML's real ale yeast at 20c.
A traditional bitter with Amarillo at flameout??? Could call it a red IPA which as far as I can make out is basically a hoppy bitter - meh, what's in a name, nice beer is nice beer acheers.

What's with the syrup at 10mins? Never tried that

'More' traditional. :laugh8:

I just fancied it to have a slightly fruity aroma. The golden syrup was an afterthought, an experiment if you will. It does waste nice at the moment though. I'll ruin it with 200g priming sugar in 2 weeks.

'More' traditional. :laugh8:

I just fancied it to have a slightly fruity aroma. The golden syrup was an afterthought, an experiment if you will. It does waste nice at the moment though. I'll ruin it with 200g priming sugar in 2 weeks.
LMAO :laugh8:

I had another bottle of my Red IPA at the weekend which also had Amarillo at flameout - it's a much more subtle hoppiness than a regular AIPA but works really well.

Bottled up my summer lightning 2 last night, 17x 500ml and a couple of smaller ones. Fg 1012, 5.25%. Its darker than expected, I dont think my crystal was as light as advertised. Taste is pleasant again not as bitter as I hoped. I'm thinking that the crystal and mash temp might be to blame for making it taste sweeter than it should, taking away the bitterness. Overall a 5/10 at the moment!

I dry hopped my Mississippi mud ipa with 20g each of motueka and amarillo. Smells nice, but not going to get much of a yield with this one, got a hell of a lot of trub for some reason. I reckon I'll be lucky to get 6l.

Bottled up my summer lightning 2 last night, 17x 500ml and a couple of smaller ones. Fg 1012, 5.25%. Its darker than expected, I dont think my crystal was as light as advertised. Taste is pleasant again not as bitter as I hoped. I'm thinking that the crystal and mash temp might be to blame for making it taste sweeter than it should, taking away the bitterness. Overall a 5/10 at the moment!

I dry hopped my Mississippi mud ipa with 20g each of motueka and amarillo. Smells nice, but not going to get much of a yield with this one, got a hell of a lot of trub for some reason. I reckon I'll be lucky to get 6l.
What was the mash temp? Honestly, I've done quite a few beers now deliberately mashed high (up to 70-71degC) and they don't taste sweet.

I have however had a few with a cloying sweetness which I've put down to various crystal malts, or maybe even pilsner malt (which I believe can impart a honey-like sweetness).

64c, must be the crystal i think.

I may go back to the good beers I've brewed, black ipa, clansman, belgian blondes. Is it the yeast, equipment, etc but recently I've brewed some duffers. Mate told me my summer lightning tasted like homebrew. Gutted!

Check what kind of crystal you used - for example I made a beer with caramalt which had that sweetness, but I've used carared in my black IPA and dark crystal in various beers without issue.

But maybe if there are certain beers that just seem to work for you then as long as you're happy with the breadth of your repertoire maybe stick with what you know and work on perfecting those???

Brewed up james mortons 'clansman' on thursday.

6kg maris otter
400g crystal
80 roasted barley
50 chocolate (for colour)

40g ekg first wort hop

25g coriander @5 mins

First things first, the klarstein is not meant for that much grain in the inner tube, squeezed it in and had to leave it to take the kid to school but when I came back took out the inner bit and let the malt free at 66c. As a result I only got 1060 ish when going for the 1080's. I added 500g brown sugar, boiled into the fv at the end.

18l to start dunk sparged and added another 4l at start of boil to leave me with 18l in the fv.

Quickly cooled to 25, stuck in brewfridge turning it down to 23 and pitched the cml british ale yeast. Was going great guns after 4 hours or so.

Bottled up my amarillo bitter on thursday night, fg at 1012 so an abv of 6%, got 18x bottles of 500mls. Looks great, clear and just as a bitter should. Tastes... well a little tangy not quite as a bitter should, could be something to do with those amarillo hops! :laugh8:

Today I brewed a licorice stout, courtesy of @BREWERS DROOP's recipe.

1.8kg maris otter
1kg oats
300g crystal
280g chocolate
100g special b
50g roasted barley.

Left it to mash at 66c overnight, however at some point in the early hours the fuse must have tripped in the garage, temp dropped to 45c when I looked at 10am. No odd smell so ramped up the temp to 66c again left it for 30 mins and brought to boil.

12g northern brewer
10g ekg both at 60mins.

Protofloc and 200g brown sugar at 10mins.

Cooled to 21c very quickly, went to drain it to fv and the tap blocked, no worries I'll use the siphon, blocked too. Had to jug it in in the end. Never done that before! The wort was sweeter than anything I've done before, og 1074. Pitched cml 5.

Snap! Just pitched a pack of CML 5 myself - we'll have to compare notes in a few weeks time...

Re. your blocked tap, hows about I'll trade you a boiler cutting out? :laugh8: (see my brewday thread). Seriously though, leave it 2-3 hours to let the crud settle, then you can drain the crystal clear wort to the FV - trust me, it's the future athumb..

Ha, yes I just read yours. Yep I usually do leave it now but was in a bit of a rush this afternoon, it's one of the hints I've taken from reading your thread! I've never used the 5 before (I don't think).

Snap! Just pitched a pack of CML 5 myself - we'll have to compare notes in a few weeks time...

Re. your blocked tap, hows about I'll trade you a boiler cutting out? :laugh8: (see my brewday thread). Seriously though, leave it 2-3 hours to let the crud settle, then you can drain the crystal clear wort to the FV - trust me, it's the future athumb..

Hows yours going matt, mines bubbling but looking through the glass it's not exactly vigorous yet, is the 5 a slow starter?

Hows yours going matt, mines bubbling but looking through the glass it's not exactly vigorous yet, is the 5 a slow starter?
First time using it... My FV is in the garage where the ambient is only 14degC and the Fermometer says 14-16degC...

Whereas the packet says "ideally 17-28degC"

(My approach lately is to start it cool)

The airlock is ticking over... It's a bit sluggish but I'm happy enough considering the low temperature.

But to answer your question, no, so far it's certainly not gone off like an Exocet missile. But as we know, this hobby is very much an exercise in patience athumb..

Last edited:
Interesting! Just a bit surprised as my last few brews have climbed out of the fv where as this one I've got about 1/2 inch of krausen and only a little bubble action. Temp is 18c.

Patience is not one of my virtues.

Brewed up 10l of Tin Miners Ale from James Mortons Book yesterday.
2.4 kg pale
160g Caramunich
110g Biscuit
100g crystal

Mashed in at 68c, hour mash.

20g First Gold @60
8g Bramling @10
8g Bramling @flameout

All very easy yesterday, cooled quickly, put in brew fridge at 21c, pitched Nottingham. Bubbling this morning. OG 1052, IBU 39 ish.

Also bottled up my Clansman, 17l into various size bottles. Has finished up drier than anything i've brewed before at 1007. Looks nice, dark but clear, taste.... I have no idea, I can't taste or smell anything which i've heard is a symptom of Covid 19, I really hope it is anyway and thats the worst that I get. Stay safe everyone!

Bottled up my licorice stout this evening, 8.5l into an assortment of bottles. 70g brown sugar boiled in 200ml for priming. Also 10ml each of vodka infused with licorice. A 35cl bottle with 8 sticks in it for about a month or so. The Fg was 1012 with the vodka and priming sugar I reckon this one comes out at 8%. Looks great, very dark, it has nice legs, that thing you get on the side of a glass when you swish a wine about? Taste, again god knows, still cant taste anything, I can just about smell licorice but very faint. It seems strong that's all I know! :beer1:

Latest posts

Back