PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleddy typical isn't it, you go for 18/19L in the FV and usually go under, this time I go well over! Probably near 21L in the FV, an OG of 1064. Still, wort tastes nice, really sweet but nice. Looking forward to this one! Just cooling down from 26c or so in the brewfridge, hopefully will pitch tripel yeast tonight.

Bottled up my Christmas Ale last night and quickly realised that I mashed way too high, an fg of 1018! This leaves it at 4.7% which is not quite the strong christmas sipper I was after.... I may do this one again. On the plus side, it was perfectly acceptable to taste, I quite enjoyed it. But again not quite what I was going for....

60g brown sugar in 200mls water 5ml in each bottle. I got 36 various sized bottles. I'm interested to see what this comes out like.

Bottled up my Christmas Ale last night and quickly realised that I mashed way too high, an fg of 1018! This leaves it at 4.7% which is not quite the strong christmas sipper I was after.... I may do this one again. On the plus side, it was perfectly acceptable to taste, I quite enjoyed it. But again not quite what I was going for....

60g brown sugar in 200mls water 5ml in each bottle. I got 36 various sized bottles. I'm interested to see what this comes out like.
yeah I'm curious about the brown sugar I had to use it on an IPA as I didn't have any white sugar and am thinking it really changed the flavor of it. I should probably do a experiment with it next time I am bottling.

yeah I'm curious about the brown sugar I had to use it on an IPA as I didn't have any white sugar and am thinking it really changed the flavor of it. I should probably do a experiment with it next time I am bottling.

Yeah I wouldn't use brown sugar in an ipa or pale it does affect the taste quite significantly.

I was going to make an amusing remark that your usual dose of priming sugar should push the ABV back to comfortably north of 6%... 🤭

.....but you've rather spoiled it by stating clearly the modest amount you actually added 😒

Have you tried your Baltic Porter yet? I've got one of mine in the fridge for later...

@matt76
20200903_212000.jpg

What a bleddy nightmare, half way through the boil the klarstein packed up, e4 message. Got the old boiler, did something I told myself I wouldn't and poured 98c wort into it, switched on, within 5 mins that packed up too. Cleaned klarstein, lots of stuff boiled on to bottom, still wouldn't work, scrubbed more, no cigar. Pressed reset button and hey presto! Back on with the boil after repouring 81c wort back into original boiler...

So I think I did the right thing by taking out the hop bag while I was faffing with the boilers otherwise the ibu would be off the scale?

Anyway, the boiler kept tripping for the last 15 mins, this has hardly been a relaxing brewday. Finally got to the hour though and called it quits. Cooling as we speak, hours later than planned.

So finally my brewing odyssey has come to an end, an og of 1058, 20l in the fv and cml belgian pitched at 28c though fridge set at 25c. Blimey what a day.... wort tasted delicate but nice, clear, looking forward to seeing what the yeast does to it.

Two thoughts on this:

You probably did the right thing taking the hops out. Most of the extraction happens early on - there's not much difference in bitterness between boiling hops for 30 minutes compared to 60, but a much bigger difference between 5 and 30 minutes for example.

Regarding the boiler tripping, I actually use two grain bags - I don't really know why, for some reason I just do...

The inner one is quite open and good for the bag squeeze. The outer one is a mega fine weave nylon bag which generally catches a good couple of handfuls of fine silt that might otherwise end up on the element. Maybe something to consider?

I've only had mine trip once and that was using rye malt which is apparently notorious for scorching elements.

Yes I remember you talking about yours tripping, you had the E4 error message? It's only happened once before, and I think that was the end of a bag of malt too, lesson learned. Interesting about 2 grain bags, not a bad idea actually and I need another one anyway as I have a small hole in mine.

Two thoughts on this:

You probably did the right thing taking the hops out. Most of the extraction happens early on - there's not much difference in bitterness between boiling hops for 30 minutes compared to 60, but a much bigger difference between 5 and 30 minutes for example.

Regarding the boiler tripping, I actually use two grain bags - I don't really know why, for some reason I just do...

The inner one is quite open and good for the bag squeeze. The outer one is a mega fine weave nylon bag which generally catches a good couple of handfuls of fine silt that might otherwise end up on the element. Maybe something to consider?

I've only had mine trip once and that was using rye malt which is apparently notorious for scorching elements.

Yes I remember you talking about yours tripping, you had the E4 error message? It's only happened once before, and I think that was the end of a bag of malt too, lesson learned. Interesting about 2 grain bags, not a bad idea actually and I need another one anyway as I have a small hole in mine.
Just checked - yes E4 = boil dry. In that case I remember there was a nasty black scotch mark on the element, impervious to chemicals but not as it turns out to wet & dry paper and a bit of elbow grease!

I used vinegar and sodium bicarb I think last time, but yesterday i didn't have time to faff about like that and used our scourer instead...(which I shouldn't have, but by then i'd already been carrying around 20l of molten hot wort in shorts and crocs)

Bottled up my dark tripel type belgian thingy that I enjoyed last time whilst listening to the battle of the rave on bbc sounds, I'm really enjoying it.

80g sugar in 200mls 5mls per bottle 38x500ml bottles.

Finished at 1008, tastes a bit drier than last time, sample I had was quite yeasty though so not sure how much I can take from it. Abv is 7.35%. Looks brown but clear and has that typical tripel aroma, I'm not blown away but it could end up ok.

Back