PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had 2 pints of my golden ale, one from a plastic bottle, the other glass and the one from the plastic bottle is much darker (tastes the same), oxidized?
Happy to try it dude 👍🍻

From experience (fairly limited, thankfully!) oxidation isn't instantaneous but look for a wet cardboard taste and/or almonds/marzipan taste.

Dry hopped my ipa just now, 30g simcoe, 15g amarillo, 20g cascade 50g centennial, no real rhyme or reason for the quantity of each, just using up some opened packets that need finishing.

115g??? In what, 15L or so? Crikey, I shudder to think what would happen if you really went for it instead of just using up some odds & sods! 😂

Is that doesn't turn out hoppy then there's no hope! 👍🍻

Ha! Well almost 20l...

My last few have been really disappointingly unhoppy in the aroma department so I thought I'd go for it, plus some of the hops are possibly a little past their best.

Might be more drinkable by march when the hops fade....
Funny you should say that...

I had a bottle of my Podium IPA at the weekend...

The hops are fading which is a bit of a surprise in itself as I'm sure it aged far better the first couple of times I made it...

But apart from a bit of bitterness at the start there was really nothing else there in the middle or end of the palette...

Really strange but it was (relatively!) like drinking fizzy water - you'd think there'd at least be more residual malt flavour. Very odd.

(Mind you, this was my last beer on Saturday night and I'd had a few by that point 🤪🤪🤪🍻🍻🍻👍👍👍)

Funny you should say that...

I had a bottle of my Podium IPA at the weekend...

The hops are fading which is a bit of a surprise in itself as I'm sure it aged far better the first couple of times I made it...

But apart from a bit of bitterness at the start there was really nothing else there in the middle or end of the palette...

Really strange but it was (relatively!) like drinking fizzy water - you'd think there'd at least be more residual malt flavour. Very odd.

(Mind you, this was my last beer on Saturday night and I'd had a few by that point 🤪🤪🤪🍻🍻🍻👍👍👍)

I know exactly what you mean, had a bottle of my 6 month old paterbier (not exactly hoppy anyway) some time last year and you're right, like mineral water. 🤣

Kiwi pale ale today,

4kg pale
450g vienna
200g carapils

20g magnum @60
20g Pacifica @10
20g motueka @10

Mash at 64, accidentally deleted the recipe from brewsmith but og 1050 ish.... but I wont get near that I shouldn't think.

Will dry hop with the kiwi hops in the coming week.

Any changes to the hop schedule? Still time!

Kiwi pale ale today,

4kg pale
450g vienna
200g carapils

20g magnum @60
20g Pacifica @10
20g motueka @10

Mash at 64, accidentally deleted the recipe from brewsmith but og 1050 ish.... but I wont get near that I shouldn't think.

Will dry hop with the kiwi hops in the coming week.

Any changes to the hop schedule? Still time!
Probably a bit late now but I'd shift some of those hops to 5mins and also whirlpool for 10-20mins around 85degC.

My aim would be to get more of these so called survivables into the wort in the FV, and hence promote more saturated hop flavour.

However, it's dependent on how much survivable compounds are in these particular hops and also the yeast strain you plan to use.

(But I'm planning a Mexican Lager soon using Motueka and Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast along these principles - mind you, my track record of theory Vs reality isn't great! 🤣)

Cooled, sample taken for og, 1044, lovely light gold colour, quite clear, can definitely taste citrus so that's all good, my wort cooler sprung a leak so hopefully it's not been contaminated... anyway, all going well this should be pretty good.

Bottled up my ipa, 90g sugar boiled in 200 mls, 5 mls per 500ml bottle, a bit less for 330's and a bit more for 750's.

35 assorted bottles, fg 1008 making it 5.25%, very hoppy aroma and taste, really nice, hazy golden hue about it.

Going along nicely listening to 'the history of the crusades' podcast which is really good until disaster struck, my capper snapped! Well it could have been a disaster, but I'd almost finished, hastily found some unused water bottles which had been given to the little one for lock down lunches at school and emptied then filled them,only losing about 2 litres in total, phew! New capper for xmas!

Been thinking about my Czech/Kiwi Pilsner this morning, I was planning to do an overnight mash tonight and this is how it's going to go.....

5kg Bohemian Pilsner
250g Carapils

Mashed overnight at 65c (thought i'd go somewhere down the middle to allow for temp fluctuations)

Hops

Magnum 20g @60
Riwaka 20g @5
Riwaka 20g Whirlpool at 71-76c for 15 mins.

This gives it 40.3 IBU according to Beersmith, which at the very top end of the range for a pilsner, i may drop the magnum a little.

This will leave me 10g Riwaka left, I had originally planned to dry hop but can't see it's worth it for 10g, shall I just do 30g whirlpool?

Not done a whirlpool properly before, do I take out the boil hops on flameout? I presume so....

Yeast- Saflager w34-70 at 12c

Been thinking about my Czech/Kiwi Pilsner this morning, I was planning to do an overnight mash tonight and this is how it's going to go.....

5kg Bohemian Pilsner
250g Carapils

Mashed overnight at 65c (thought i'd go somewhere down the middle to allow for temp fluctuations)

Hops

Magnum 20g @60
Riwaka 20g @5
Riwaka 20g Whirlpool at 71-76c for 15 mins.

This gives it 40.3 IBU according to Beersmith, which at the very top end of the range for a pilsner, i may drop the magnum a little.

This will leave me 10g Riwaka left, I had originally planned to dry hop but can't see it's worth it for 10g, shall I just do 30g whirlpool?

Not done a whirlpool properly before, do I take out the boil hops on flameout? I presume so....

Yeast- Saflager w34-70 at 12c
Would it be helpful if I reply now, or shall I leave it until Monday lunchtime? 😁

I would add the spare Riwaka and go for the full 30g in the whirlpool (I believe it adds kumquat flavours don't you know 🤣🤣🤣)

(FWIW, in his IPA book Scott Janish suggests 1-2lbs/bbl (pounds/barrel) is typical for the whirlpool, which works out about 2.8g/L - so I tend to do 30g in my 10L-ish batches).

I would go a tad warmer for the whirlpool, maybe 80-85degC. I don't bother taking out the boil hops, I just stick the chiller and the big spoon in (the heat will kill any bugs) and give the chiller a tiny squirt to cool the wort a little, then throw in the whirlpool hops.

I try to cover it with the lid of the Klarstein, or cling film to keep the heat in. You can sit there stirring it, or just give it a gentle stir every now and then or just pick up the Klarstein and agitate it a bit.

You're right, you will get a bit more bittering from your boil hops by leaving them in - the actual amount is hard to quantify, but consider this...

Almost all the bittering is maxed out by 60mins, so the difference between 60 and 75 mins is negligible. Plus you'll be at whirlpool temps, not boiling.

That said, I might be inclined to drop the Magnum a wee bit to 10 or 15g to give you a calculated 30-35 IBUs compared to your 40+ at the moment.

I was a bit surprised when you said you were making this as I thought you're not really a lager man. But from what you've said I believe your water is bang on for this style.

And from experience a well made and not chemical tasting Pilsner you made yourself is very refreshing on a hot day!

Sounds good - have fun with it 👍🍻

Knew you'd come good!

Yep I think I'll follow what you say and whirlpool the full 30 and a bit higher then.

No I'm not really a big lager fan but nice to have a try at something different and see what it comes out like!

Back