PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... so kiwi pilsner V2!

5kg pilsner
250 carapils

Mash overnight at 63

Hops waimea 15g @60
10g @5
Nelson sauvin 12g @5
Whirlpool for 25 mins at 75c 70g waimea

Had 20l in fv with an og of 1053, so liquored back with 3l of bottled water to make it 23l at 1045. Which should all being well make it something in the region of 4-5 %. Wort clear and piney. Yeast is Bavarian lager yeast.

Another Brew today....

This time Mosquito Amber Ale from James Mortons book.

3kg Otter
2kg Munich
250g light crystal (not sure what ebc)
250g darker crystal 110 ebc
250g Special B

Mashed for an hour at 64c

20g Columbus at first wort (which I took to mean after mash out and heating up the wort)
15g Chinook @15
10g Columbus @10
10g Chinook @5

IBU's around 42

30g of each whirlpooled at somewhere in the 70's (blew a fuse in the garage and lost power!)

Cooled and pitched MJ M44.

OG 1054 (couple of points shy of what was wanted)

Bottled my new kiwi pils and mosquito amber at night.

Both got 110g sugar in 200mls 5ml per bottle.

The kiwi pils, i was a tiny bit disappointed with, not a lot of hop flavour, light bitternes. Plenty of time to go yet. Finished at 1008 making it a tidy 4.5%.

The mosquito amber finished at 1010 which makes it 5.8%. This one is packed with flavour, lots of piney goodness. Seemed quite dry but am delighted with this one so far!

Wife will kill me when she see almost 80 bottles sat in the utility! šŸ¤£

Oh and that exploding head emoji reminds me, I had a lucky escape yesterday, I was ditching some of my old bottles of xmas ale, took some inside and pouring them doen the drain, noticed one had a hairline crack about a 1/3rd of the way down, anyway opened it up and wooooooooooooooshhhhhhh the beer hit the roof no sh*t, there was only about an inch left in the bottle after the it went off! ashock1

Nothing wrong with bottles @pilgrimhudd. Beer snobs the lot of them
IMG_20210728_170656311_HDR.jpg

As I fill my keg with a Belgian pale ale šŸ¤­

Anyway.... enough of kegging!

I have decided to use up my hops more quickly than I have been previously and to that end I decided on brewing a user upper IPA with hops that have been kicking about in the freezer. I also bought one of those 30l Speidel Fermenters (with tap) which I wanted to have a play with. I plan to use this with future NEIPA's to reduce oxidisation.

5kg Otter
200g Crystal
200g Carapils

Mashed for 5 hours or so at 65c while I took the kids to Godolphin House which if anyone is coming to Cornwall, I would heartily recommend.

Boiled for one hour,

20g Chinook @60
30g Chinook @15
20g Centennial @15
25g Amarillo @5
25g Colombus @5

Got approx 17L in the kettle at an OG of 1060, diluted with 3L water to make it 1052 and 19l in the FV

Cooled and pitched CML 4.

Plan to dry hop with whatevers left in the pack of the above hops, roughly 30g in each.

I then moved the FV into the brewfridge set at 19c........

Latest posts

Back