PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled up my 2nd amarillo smash(ish) 18 500ml bottles of cloudy pale ale. The FG was 1009, I didn't record the earlier OG but it was 1040 giving it a very sessionable 4%. I essentially watered down the wort by adding 2l of cold bottled water to the FV and left 2l in the boiler, mainly to cool it down but also to lower the abv a bit.

First brew with the klarstein!!

2.5kg mix of extra pale otter, clear and maris otter. (Using up)

16l in doing full volume mash.

20g ekg @60
20 ekg @30
15 ekg @15
10g ekg @flameout

Chiller in, cooled within 10 mins, out the tap into fv, bang on 11l in fv, yeast pitched (nottingham) and into brewfridge at 19c.

Ibu 44
Og (supposed to be 1050) 1044.

Overall the brewday went swimmingly, few issues like getting the lid stuck in one hand whilst holding the mesh thing with the other. The klarstein tripped, because my extension lead got hot, so that's something to look out for. Temp held well, and I was surprised how fast it was. Like other have said the temp was showing just a little high, 2-3c but you can work round that. Overall very happy!

Another thing that just came to me, I think it was because I was on a slight incline but when I went sparge it, with the bag and inner casing sat on top of the main unit some of the wort came out of the side, it has drainage holes there so I presume this is normal, but I did get a little spill down the outside of the boiler.

Hi Pilgrim I have the klarstein fullhorn biab system, I had trouble with it tripping finished up buying a 5 metre single plug extension orange flex off amazon never tripped since, sorry 10 metre

First brew with the klarstein!!

2.5kg mix of extra pale otter, clear and maris otter. (Using up)

16l in doing full volume mash.

20g ekg @60
20 ekg @30
15 ekg @15
10g ekg @flameout

Chiller in, cooled within 10 mins, out the tap into fv, bang on 11l in fv, yeast pitched (nottingham) and into brewfridge at 19c.

Ibu 44
Og (supposed to be 1050) 1044.

Overall the brewday went swimmingly, few issues like getting the lid stuck in one hand whilst holding the mesh thing with the other. The klarstein tripped, because my extension lead got hot, so that's something to look out for. Temp held well, and I was surprised how fast it was. Like other have said the temp was showing just a little high, 2-3c but you can work round that. Overall very happy!
Yup, it certainly is rapid ain't it! :laugh8:

Something I thought is it would be handy if you could hang the lid securely on one of the clips at the top - might make some hooks for mine.

Oh yeah, and pics or it didn't happen :laugh8:

Yup, it certainly is rapid ain't it! :laugh8:

Something I thought is it would be handy if you could hang the lid securely on one of the clips at the top - might make some hooks for mine.

Oh yeah, and pics or it didn't happen :laugh8:
Forgot to take any pics!

You can hear the beer 'blopping' in the FV from the driveway, the vibrations are making the fridge bang against the wall. :laugh8:

An unexpected half day, nobody at home except yeast and grain so I thought why not crank up the klarstein again?

This was a recipe from Beersmith called Welsh Doom, it's my welsh mates birthday in February so i'll make him drink a few of these.

2.5 kg Maris Otter
250 light crystal
50 chocolate

Mashed in at 66

14 Northern Brewer
14 Chinook @60

14 Perle
14 Ffuggles @ flameout

Cooled pretty quickly down to 21, pitched nottingham, no room in the brewfridge so will have to take the utility room with it temp range of about 17-20.

OG 1050
IBU 39

All done, cleaned and tidied in 3.5 hours, magical!

As an aside, I forgot to throw out the wort that was in my hydrometer from the other day, when I found it I noticed it was bubbling away and had about 1cm of Krausen on it, when i checked the gravity it had gone from 1044 to 1030, must be some wild yeast about! :laugh8:

thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

How are you dealing with the hops? I'm assuming you're using pellets rather than leaf.....

I found using the grain basket in the boil with leaf hops worked great but assume it would be next to useless with pellets.

I used pellets yesterday though - didn't bother with the grain basket and just threw the pellets in loose but magically everything pretty much settled below the drain hole.

Are you finding similar?

How are you dealing with the hops? I'm assuming you're using pellets rather than leaf.....

I found using the grain basket in the boil with leaf hops worked great but assume it would be next to useless with pellets.

I used pellets yesterday though - didn't bother with the grain basket and just threw the pellets in loose but magically everything pretty much settled below the drain hole.

Are you finding similar?

Still keeping them in a bag tied to the handle and dangling in the wort! Pellets yes, though I used leaf for my Summer Lightning clone the other day. Interesting that the grain basket works!

Bottled my summer lightning clone last night, 19 x 500ml bottles. Og of 1008 giving it an abv of 4.7%. First thoughts are that it's still quite cloudy, hopefully that'll clear. Taste wise, not as bitter as I thought it would be, but it's got a floral taste and nose, quite pleasant. Boiled 100g of sugar in 200 mls water, 10mls in each bottle, would like this one to have a bit of fizz.

Back