PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy morning labelling and moving bottles around!
20210220_094818.jpg

NEIPA bottled last night, as with all my beer it finished at 1012, giving it an abv of 7.2%. 90g of sugar in 200mls water, 5ml in each bottle. My yield was surprisingly low, there was at least 4 inches of crud in the bottom of the fermenter. 30 x 500ml bottles and 4 330's.

The smell was phenomenal, maybe not as fruity as I would like but lots of pine and resin.

Looks pretty good too, pic attached

Taste wise though, I'm not sure, lots of hop burn but its early days. Also lots of bits floating around from escaping hop particles so it needs time to settle.

20210221_221938.jpg

In other news, tried a bottle of honey ale on saturday and it tasted of nothing. Literally nothing. Gutted.
Give the honey ale time. It should come good. Having said that, there are two occasions when I've taken perfectly good ingredients and brewed ever last vestige of flavour out of them. Both milds! I once bought a couple of bottles of a mild called, I think, Nutty Slack and I couldn't taste anything there, either.
Correction. It was Thwaite Nutty Black.

I used my friends honey, proper stuff! But it is much daintier tasting than the tesco stuff I used before so I did think it may be lighter tasting. But you are right, the last one took 3 months to come good so I'll give it time.

Just to confirm that this is GH's honey ale and not the braggot I'm talking about @An Ankoù 👍

Last edited:
I kn
I used my friends honey, proper stuff! But it is much daintier tasting than the tesco stuff I used before so I did think it may be lighter tasting. But you are right, the last one took 3 months to come good so I'll give it time.

Just to confirm that this is GH's honey ale and not the braggot I'm talking about @An Ankoù 👍
I know the braggot's got loads of flavour. Smoked cheese, pickled onions and Bombay mix just on the first sip.
It does mellow down, though.

NEIPA bottled last night, as with all my beer it finished at 1012, giving it an abv of 7.2%. 90g of sugar in 200mls water, 5ml in each bottle. My yield was surprisingly low, there was at least 4 inches of crud in the bottom of the fermenter. 30 x 500ml bottles and 4 330's.

The smell was phenomenal, maybe not as fruity as I would like but lots of pine and resin.

Looks pretty good too, pic attached
Looks gorgeous stuff 💕

A

IPA on the go today.

Mashed overnight at 65 ish.

4.5 kg otter
400 vienna
200 carapils

Hops..

Tomahawk 20g @ 60

20g ekuanot @ 5
20g el dorado @5

Whirlpool 30g of those two for 15 mins or so at 75 ish...

Plan to pitch cml 4 and dry hop at day 10 the remaining 50g of ekuanot and el dorado.

Should come out at around 5.8% and 60 odd ibu.

I've decided with my next brew to take my lead from your overnight mash routine, really encouraged by reading your success with it!

Anna

It's really made a big difference for my brewhouse efficiency, it definitely gives more body to the beer and just seems to improve it in some way that I can't really put my finger on.... it also takes up less time which with two little ones is a godsend! I am wondering though whether the extra body i'm getting is impacting on my pale ales which haven't been as good recently. I mashed at a lower temp for this last IPA just to see if it makes any difference. We'll see!

It's really made a big difference for my brewhouse efficiency, it definitely gives more body to the beer and just seems to improve it in some way that I can't really put my finger on.... it also takes up less time which with two little ones is a godsend! I am wondering though whether the extra body i'm getting is impacting on my pale ales which haven't been as good recently. I mashed at a lower temp for this last IPA just to see if it makes any difference. We'll see!
The time saving would be a big plus for me, though the insight about the pale ales is helpful. I'm thinking an overnight mash might be particularly good where the grain bill includes oats and other grains without the amylases themselves. I suspect it's a case of using an overnight mash for some but not all of the brews then.
Anna

The time saving would be a big plus for me, though the insight about the pale ales is helpful. I'm thinking an overnight mash might be particularly good where the grain bill includes oats and other grains without the amylases themselves. I suspect it's a case of using an overnight mash for some but not all of the brews then.
Anna

Yes I think i would probably agree with that. 👍

Time saving is great, I finish work at 930 most of the time, so I can get home get the water up to temp and mash in, then start the rest of it in the morning which is great.

I've decided with my next brew to take my lead from your overnight mash routine, really encouraged by reading your success with it!
Time saving is great, I finish work at 930 most of the time, so I can get home get the water up to temp and mash in, then start the rest of it in the morning which is great.
You've got my interest in the overnight mashing too. I thought that the result was a thinner beer though? Something to do with the conversion continuing through the lower temperatures as it cools.

I can't remember the last time I did a "standard" ninety-minute mash. Most are overnight mashes otherwise I mash in the morning and sparge late afternoon. I haven't noticed any great difference in body or efficiency. Unlike @pilgrimhudd, I don't maintain the temperature all night. I mash in as close as possible to my mash temperature and then correct it with boiling water 15 minutes later. I then just leave it until I'm ready to sparge. I did worry that other enzymes might kick in as the temperature fell, but it seems protease is pretty much denaturated at 60C and beta-glucanase at 50C so that's not going to happen. Logically, the beta-amylase should have a field day, but I haven't noticed any problems with loss body . I think once maltotriose is formed, beta amylase leaves it alone so it's just a question of using the right yeast.
Of course, mash temperature is also great for bacterial growth and I've noticed a slight whiff, sometimes, when I open the mash tun. this quickly disappears woth sparging and doesn't taint the beer at all, but I wouldn't want to leave the mash for more than 12-14 hours.

Do you sparge with 75-80C water?
Me? Yes, although it's not the same as a mash out at 75-80C. The temperature of the mash has fallen considerably over the 12 hours so it's just force of habit really. the temperature of mash water isn't critical as long as it's not more than 80C

Back