PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the hoppyness from whirlpool hops, my current beer in my keg started off life intending to be an American style pale ale but basically ended up a NEIPA without the oats.

After hop stand at 76 with quite a fair belt of hops, it tasted (bearing in mind this is still just wort) like a vaguely hoppy pale ale. It wasn't until the dry hop was added that I got haze and a big burst of juicy/fruity flavours.

I think in my experience the two really offer different things, and my own two cents are that dry hopping produces glorious results.

I am seeing some fade now and the colour a bit less fresh after 3 weeks though, and thats with closed transfer.

Regarding the hoppyness from whirlpool hops, my current beer in my keg started off life intending to be an American style pale ale but basically ended up a NEIPA without the oats.

After hop stand at 76 with quite a fair belt of hops, it tasted (bearing in mind this is still just wort) like a vaguely hoppy pale ale. It wasn't until the dry hop was added that I got haze and a big burst of juicy/fruity flavours.

I think in my experience the two really offer different things, and my own two cents are that dry hopping produces glorious results.

I am seeing some fade now and the colour a bit less fresh after 3 weeks though, and thats with closed transfer.

Just wondered how much was a 'fair belt' of hops for the hop stand? I have only recently started doing a hop stand and it seems to have made a real difference in terms of taste. Yeah I tend to leave all my beer for 4 weeks after bottling, maybe I should be drinking them sooner!

Just wondered how much was a 'fair belt' of hops for the hop stand? I have only recently started doing a hop stand and it seems to have made a real difference in terms of taste. Yeah I tend to leave all my beer for 4 weeks after bottling, maybe I should be drinking them sooner!
Should have realised fair belt didn't appear in the SI list of units 😀

See my hop schedule here for a 23 litre batch.

Screenshot_20210410-085128_Brewfather.jpg

Interesting, so no late boil hops at all but a shed load in the hop stand.... I'll have to try this next time, I know mine was a pale ale rather than ipa but that makes my 40g hopstand look a bit meagre!

Interesting, so no late boil hops at all but a shed load in the hop stand.... I'll have to try this next time, I know mine was a pale ale rather than ipa but that makes my 40g hopstand look a bit meagre!
I've got to be honest here, I was just messing about as I haven't done much in the way of designing my own recipes, I just took some basic principles and tried to make something that would be to my taste.

In fairness to myself, I have learned a few things. Namely you don't need oats to turn out a hazy juicy IPA although I will do one like that to see the mouthfeel effect. Liberty Bell will replace US05 permanently for use in this sort of beer, and you really do need to nail this style young. Its still good, but its off plateau I'd say

Yeah I tend to leave all my beer for 4 weeks after bottling, maybe I should be drinking them sooner!
My own experience is that for dark beers there is definitely a benefit leaving it for 4 weeks in the bottle rather than just 2 to carbonate, and even then it still changes and rounds of the flavours as it continues to age.

But for pale hoppy beers I've generally tended to get stuck in after 2 weeks - and you've read the review of my latest IPA where I've got stuck in just 8 days after bottling.

Once it's carbonated I'm kinda thinking what else are we waiting for? So you might be missing the boat a bit leaving your hoppy beers 4 weeks. I've certainly heard Drew Beechum talking about freshness of hops in commercial beers that were literally canned the day before - so if he's doing it then presumably it's not a mortal sin! I guess just make sure it's had enough time to carbonate and you're not just drinking priming sugar!

(But when it comes to dark hoppy beers then I've no idea what to do! 🤣)

Regarding @Brewnaldo 's thing with no late hops, just flameout additions - I've heard of this. In fact there's a Basic Brewing Video where he uses only flameout (+ dry, I think) hops - I'm actually planning a version of my hoppy amber along these lines as I'm just curious to see how it turns out. I have read though (Scott Janish's New IPA book for example) that you may still want some boil hops on there too as @Brewnaldo has done.

Liberty Bell will replace US05 permanently for use in this sort of beer
Good call 👍 I'm really liking what I'm getting from BRY-97 as a more neutral baseline. I haven't really used M36 ("Liberty Bell") in a pale IPA yet, only BIPA, Porters and Bitters, but I do really like it. Lallemand Verdant IPA may also be worth a look if you want some of that English Ale character (interesting to note how widely WY1318 is used in commercial NEIPAs). In fact next batch of my house IPA I think I'm gonna leave BRY-97 in the fridge and instead do a split batch of M36 vs. LVIPA.

you really do need to nail this style young. Its still good, but its off plateau I'd say
As noted above, yep, I think I'm inclined to agree with you 👍🍻

About to bottle my belgian pale and this is on the top, bit dificult to tell by the picture, mould or yeast?

View attachment 45251
Like you say, hard to tell from the picture but just looks like yeast rafts to me, nothing to get excited about unless you have any doubts about sanitation for this brew.

Some strains plummet to the depths of the FV as soon as they're done, others (Lallemand Verdant IPA!) the krausen sticks around even though it's done - point is, it seems to vary from one strain to the next.

Like you say, hard to tell from the picture but just looks like yeast rafts to me, nothing to get excited about unless you have any doubts about sanitation for this brew.

Some strains plummet to the depths of the FV as soon as they're done, others (Lallemand Verdant IPA!) the krausen sticks around even though it's done - point is, it seems to vary from one strain to the next.

Yep your right, I'm thinking most probably yeast, just at first glance it looked like it had that 'hairy' mould character if you know what I mean.

Righto, so bottling done, this is my Belgian pale ale, fg finished at 1007 so 5% abv. 36x500ml bottles 105g sugar boiled in 200mls water, 5ml per bottle.

Apart from the mouldy looking yeast rafts all went well, beer seems nice crystal clear, nice belgian aroma and spicy, quite dry so it'll be interesting to see what happens when we get some fizz in it.

Managed to get a brew in today

4.2kg best pale malt
200g carapils

Mash at 64c for 2hours.

15g magnum @60
20g mandarin bavaria @10
10g simcoe @10
20g mandarina bavaria @5
10g simcoe @5
30g mandarina &10g simcoe whirlpooled at 70c for 25mins.

Og 1040, a few points under what I wanted, 20l in the fv, pitched us west coast from malt Miller. 47 ibu.

So bottled this up tonight, first thing that struck me was the horribly sulphurous smell that I got when I opened the FV. On tasting though, quite orangey with a little something else, quite pleasant. Finished at 1006 roughly which by my reckoning makes it around 4.3%. I used 100g sugar in 200mls boiled water and syringed in 5mls to each bottle, i got 34 bottles.
It's a pale golden colour at the mo, quite hazy. Looking forward to this one when the weather warms up, I think it'll be an inoffensive moreish pale ale which is what i am going for.

So bottled this up tonight, first thing that struck me was the horribly sulphurous smell that I got when I opened the FV. On tasting though, quite orangey with a little something else, quite pleasant. Finished at 1006 roughly which by my reckoning makes it around 4.3%. I used 100g sugar in 200mls boiled water and syringed in 5mls to each bottle, i got 34 bottles.
It's a pale golden colour at the mo, quite hazy. Looking forward to this one when the weather warms up, I think it'll be an inoffensive moreish pale ale which is what i am going for.
Did you dry hop in the end? ISTR you were on the fence before.

Back