PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I imagined you were adding big chunks of coconut - would be entertaining at least watching you trying to shove them through the neck of the carboy! 🤣

By the way, do you use carboys for everything? I've always just used buckets because that's what I've always used - still seems strange to see something different.

Haha, no, I have a demijohn and a carboy for 10l batches and two of these for 20l.

20210615_100153.jpg

Ok... so very busy Brew day today before I start my nights later!! aheadbutt

First finishing off my overnight mash for my 3 C's IPA version 2!

4kgs Otter
1kg Munich
250g Carapils

Mashed at 66 overnight.

20g Magnum @60
20g Citra and Cascade @10
20g Citra and Cascade @5
20g Citra Cascade and Centennial Hopsteep for 20 mins @75c

OG 1060

Cooled and pitched Verdant IPA yeast and plan to dry hop with Citra Cascade and Centennial, amounts tba.

Alongside this i've bottled my Sessionable Wheat Beer from James Mortons book, this finished at 1008, I used 100g sugar in 200mls water and put 5ml in each bottle. Gave me 34 bottles at a sessionable 6% :laugh8:

And after that I started a @foxbat FuggleDuck slightly tweaked to what I had.

3.2kg Otter
850g Munich
170g Light Crystal
170g Flaked Barley
70g Choc

Mashed at 68 for 60 mins

10 Magnum @60
11g Williamette and First Gold @15
16g Williamette and First Gold @10
23g Williamette and First Gold @5

OG 1050

Cooled and pitched CML Midland, I was toying with pitching MJ liberty Bell but decided to save that for my Broadside Clone that i'll do in the near future.

Phew!

An interesting twist on the fuggleduck there. Willamette and first gold has my mouth watering! That should be a cracker. Actually all three beers should be great. That reminds me, I need to get a wheat beer on soon.

Good work fella, that's some serious commitment to do all that in a day👍

Cooled and pitched Verdant IPA yeast
Ooh, hark at you Mr Fancy Pants with your fancy yeasts! :laugh8: Fingers crossed it's as good or even better than last time 👍

Cooled and pitched CML Midland, I was toying with pitching MJ liberty Bell but decided to save that for my Broadside Clone that i'll do in the near future.
Good call 👍

putting us all to shame getting that much done on a sunny Friday
Can't speak for where y'all are but it's been peeing down 24hrs+ in Berkshire and looks set to continue! I imagine you're in some tropical paradise though. Put my spare time to good use instead trying to figure out how and where to squeeze an extra fridge into my garage.

It's actually been pretty good here, sunny but hurricane force winds...

An interesting twist on the fuggleduck there. Willamette and first gold has my mouth watering! That should be a cracker. Actually all three beers should be great. That reminds me, I need to get a wheat beer on soon.

Yes, think they may work well together.

Good work fella, that's some serious commitment to do all that in a day👍

Amazing what you can do when the kids are out of the house!

Ok... so very busy Brew day today before I start my nights later!! aheadbutt

First finishing off my overnight mash for my 3 C's IPA version 2!

4kgs Otter
1kg Munich
250g Carapils

Mashed at 66 overnight.

20g Magnum @60
20g Citra and Cascade @10
20g Citra and Cascade @5
20g Citra Cascade and Centennial Hopsteep for 20 mins @75c

OG 1060

Cooled and pitched Verdant IPA yeast and plan to dry hop with Citra Cascade and Centennial, amounts tba.

Alongside this i've bottled my Sessionable Wheat Beer from James Mortons book, this finished at 1008, I used 100g sugar in 200mls water and put 5ml in each bottle. Gave me 34 bottles at a sessionable 6% :laugh8:

And after that I started a @foxbat FuggleDuck slightly tweaked to what I had.

3.2kg Otter
850g Munich
170g Light Crystal
170g Flaked Barley
70g Choc

Mashed at 68 for 60 mins

10 Magnum @60
11g Williamette and First Gold @15
16g Williamette and First Gold @10
23g Williamette and First Gold @5

OG 1050

Phew!

Been a bit quiet since my epic brewday 2 weeks ago, I dry hopped my 3c's ipa with 40g of citra,cascade and centennial last wednesday and started to cold crash yesterday, emptied out my beer fridge to fit in the coconut stout. The coconut fell to the bottom remarkably quickly.

Hosting a party in late august so thought I'd better get another two brews on this week, was thinking another kiwi lager and I've just ordered hops for a Mosquito Amber Ale from James Mortons book. Anyone brewed this?

I dry hopped my 3c's ipa with 40g of citra,cascade and centennial last wednesday
You used Lallemand Verdant IPA for this one didn't you? Will be interesting to see what that brings to the party 👍
I've just ordered hops for a Mosquito Amber Ale from James Mortons book. Anyone brewed this?
Don't know it, don't have the book. But judging by a quick Google a few people have set it up as a kit from The Malt Miller - hopped with Columbus and Chinook right? The IPA I just sent you is Chinook, CTZ (a.k.a. Columbus) & Simcoe, though the grain bill is just Golden Promise 🍻

You used Lallemand Verdant IPA for this one didn't you? Will be interesting to see what that brings to the party 👍

Yes, looking forward to bottling it tonight, the smell was amazing but you only get a good feel of what it's going to turn out like when you bottle don't you.

Don't know it, don't have the book. But judging by a quick Google a few people have set it up as a kit from The Malt Miller - hopped with Columbus and Chinook right? The IPA I just sent you is Chinook, CTZ (a.k.a. Columbus) & Simcoe, though the grain bill is just Golden Promise 🍻

Yeah thats the one, ahh random! I like the sound of the hops and the malt bill sounds good, pale, munich, crystal, special B.

Going to be a big bottling session tonight, about 100 bottles worth I reckon.....can't wait 😬

I think that 3C is pretty much the one I made a while back, with Centennial, Cascade, and Citra. Verdant yeast, anyway. Due to my poor efficiency, it wasn't as strong as it should have been, and on this occasion I think I made a snap decision to *not* add a little sugar to top it up. But I am still very pleased with it.

I think that 3C is pretty much the one I made a while back, with Centennial, Cascade, and Citra. Verdant yeast, anyway. Due to my poor efficiency, it wasn't as strong as it should have been, and on this occasion I think I made a snap decision to *not* add a little sugar to top it up. But I am still very pleased with it.

I did one last year and really enjoyed it, not changed the recipe much, just added whirlpool hops, I used 100g of each, how much did you use out of interest?

Nothing like that much.

I know nothing of this 'whirlpool' of which you speak. But for dry-hopping, in an 11-litre batch (so rather less than half), I used 30 g of Cent, 24 g of Cascade, and 11 g of Citra., divided between and bunged into the demi-johns.

Nothing like that much.

I know nothing of this 'whirlpool' of which you speak. But for dry-hopping, in an 11-litre batch (so rather less than half), I used 30 g of Cent, 24 g of Cascade, and 11 g of Citra., divided between and bunged into the demi-johns.

Just dropping the temp after the boil to something around 75c and dropping in some hops, stirring occasionally for 20 mins or so, I've noticed a big difference in the 'aroma' of my latest beers. My dry hops were 40g of each, it's the first time I've dry hopped in awhile, I'm going to bottle it later so am looking forward to seeing how its turned out.

All bottled, to make it easy I put 2g sugar in each bottle, got 35 3cs ipa at 6.2% finishing at 1012, 36 fuggleduck at 5.2 % finishing at 1011 and around 8l in various bottles of coconut stout, tastes like a bounty, very pleased with it, pleased with them all actually. I may have used too much lactose in the stout which finished at 1025 which makes it 6.2% also. You could stand a spoon up in it. 🤣

Just a quick question to anyone who passes by, I've opened an old pack of nelson sauvin, it does smell a bit cheesy, is this normal for nelson, I cant remember.... it's been in the freezer for a year or so but unopened.. wondering if I should use it or not.

Just a quick question to anyone who passes by, I've opened an old pack of nelson sauvin, it does smell a bit cheesy, is this normal for nelson, I cant remember.... it's been in the freezer for a year or so but unopened.. wondering if I should use it or not.
I would say no. Cheesy is how I would describe a pack of Challenger I binned because it was past its best.

Back