PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good 👍 I think Midland is the one CML yeast I'd consider using again, I remember liking what that one did in an ESB and a Porter :beer1:

Interesting to see the range of hops you've used - I'm planning an English variant of my Hoppy Amber Ale soon, basically a bitter, but I plan to go with just EKG (plus a bit of Magnum for bittering) as I don't make bitter all that often so I don't tend to have those kind of English hops lying around that much 😕

(The exception is Northdown which goes in my Porter)

I can't seem to brew a decent beer with EKG so I've given up.

Bottled up my 'broadside' clone, 100g of sugar, boiled in 200mls, 5miles per bottle, got 30 bottles.

Fg was 1017, which seems a little high.. however I think I may have mashed too high, temp fluctuated a bit so think this may have had something to do with it.

Regardless, its nice and clear, tastes great, bit to soon to tell if its broadside like or not but time will tell!

Call me crazy if you will but I had a real urge to get a brew on over the weekend, I fancied GH's oatmeal stout but shock horror I couldn't find the roast barley that i'd been squirrelling away for just such an occasion, i'm sure I must have thrown it out. No probs, GH's Old Ale was the next on my list arrrrghh where's my brewing sugar?? Now I know you can use table sugar, however it does say not too, brewing sugar will all ferment and not leave any cloying sweetness.... so wanting to follow the recipe to the letter I looked around for something else.

And yes, so it came down to my Belgian Christmas Ale, now I have only just brewed this I know, but I feel that although it's going to be very nice it's could be better! And i've not even tasted it yet!!

So with that in mind I brewed a Belgian xmas Ale v2...

4kg Lager Malt
2kg Munich
400g Cafe light
400g Dark Crystal
40g Choc

16g Admiral @60
16g Perle @10
15g Brewers Gold @10
150g home made invert sugar.

Yeast Saf Ale 33 as I wanted to accentuate any fruitiness and give it a fuller body but not by mashing high. Consensus seems to be that this yeast take an age to mature but as it's an xmas brew thats no problem for me.

Mashed overnight at 65c OG came out at 1064 and 19l in the FV. Which again is lower than expected but I think is at the higher end of what can be expected from the 23l Klarstein when your looking for that final volume. All good though, if it finishes around 1010 it'll be around 7% which is what i'm looking for.

Oatmeal Stout brewed today! GH's recipe, just tweaked a touch.

5kg Pale Malt
200g Dark Crystal
200g Chocolate
100g Roast Barley

Mashed at 68 for 4-5 hours this morning/afternoon, giving it a stir I didn't think that it was going to be dark enough so I added 50g of black malt an hour or 2 in.

35g Target @60
10g Target @flameout
25g Goldings @flameout

OG 1062, with about 17l in the FV so added another 2l water to make it 19l at 1055.

Pitched CML 'The Firm'.

I speak as someone who once forgot the oats in an oatmeal stout...

Ended up bunging them in with the hop boil; not very satisfactory.

It wasn't the end of the world; it came out perfectly drinkable, but a tad lacking in mouthfeel and body.

Brewed a 10l batch of old ale today (with a christmas twist!), I haven't done a 10l batch in ages so I had to peruse my notes to make sure I remembered how!

Anyway...

2.3 kg pale ale
1kg munich
50 choc
150g dark crystal

Mashed at 67 for 2 hours or so and then brought to boil.

36g goldings @60
1/4 tab protofloc @15
40g Bobek @10
300g corn sugar and 1 cinnamon, 3 cloves and a star anise @5

Cooled to 18c, pitched cml 'firm' og 1068.

Back