PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm... Well @pilgrimhudd wasn't overly keen! I'd say it's "interesting" - I don't think it tastes "bad" or "off" as such, it just has a certain twang I can't really describe...

It might well be a "bretty" twang but I don't really have anything else to gauge it against or enough experience to know for sure.

I have a number of bottles left, I'm thinking try one every few months and see where it's at. It might be that brewing with Brett is a more delicate art, or it could just be it's not my thing.

As much as I'm not really raving about it I'm more than happy to send you one to try if you PM me your details.
Good man I will send on my details 👍

Bottled up my IPA's today and what a difference! The Hophead IPA is stand out miles more hoppy than the US05, much like i'd expected but the difference is huuuuge!

15 bottle of each, they finished as expected at 1008 and 1010 respectively.

I also brewed another pilsner today, this one a more traditional version, hopped with saaz.

Screenshot_20211208-214748_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Got 20l in the fv, og 1050

Also, I just looked up Hophead - it seems it's a yeast and enzyme blend. I wonder if it's similar to the enzyme I tried earlier this year?

To be honest I never found much difference in flavour, just a lower and less predictable FG.

Will be interested to hear how it tastes once it's ready.

Also, I just looked up Hophead - it seems it's a yeast and enzyme blend. I wonder if it's similar to the enzyme I tried earlier this year?

To be honest I never found much difference in flavour, just a lower and less predictable FG.

Will be interested to hear how it tastes once it's ready.

Yes it'll be interesting to see how it ends up, but out of the FV the difference was much bigger than I thought it would be, like night and day really. 👍

Bottled up my IPA's today and what a difference! The Hophead IPA is stand out miles more hoppy than the US05, much like i'd expected but the difference is huuuuge!

15 bottle of each, they finished as expected at 1008 and 1010 respectively.

I also brewed another pilsner today, this one a more traditional version, hopped with saaz.

View attachment 59051

Got 20l in the fv, og 1050
That looks good. No such thing as too much Saaz in my book. athumb..

That looks good. No such thing as too much Saaz in my book. athumb..
Yeah, I thought similar when I read that recipe too.

It reminds me, not long after I took up the hobby a few years ago, when I was researching Czech Pils after a work trip to Prague, I found this old post.

Interesting to note he claims the Czechs used a healthy flameout addition of Saaz.

I can still remember just how good that real Czech lager in Prague was - just recently I've been formulating a plan to try again and see if I can get anywhere near it, this time using Crisp's "Haná" heritage Moravian barley.

Yeah, I thought similar when I read that recipe too.

It reminds me, not long after I took up the hobby a few years ago, when I was researching Czech Pils after a work trip to Prague, I found this old post.

Interesting to note he claims the Czechs used a healthy flameout addition of Saaz.

I can still remember just how good that real Czech lager in Prague was - just recently I've been formulating a plan to try again and see if I can get anywhere near it, this time using Crisp's "Haná" heritage Moravian barley.
The intelligent, balanced and reasoned response that I had formulated went out the window when I read "work jolly to Prague": :beer1::beer1::beer1:

Today I brewed 10l of this one, I meant to do this yesterday but my smaller fv was still in use.

View attachment 59091

Pitched cml hog-norsk for something different.

A lovely colour, I got 10l in the fv, og 1070, only 3 points under predicted, happy with that.

View attachment 59092

Bottled up my orkney ale this evening, fg 1016 which make it around 7% which is pretty much as predicted. Impressions, still a lovely colour, nice body to it, taste wise, well, it's got a lot of conditioning to do .. I think I might describe it as barky. Any once it gets 2 weeks in the utility it's off to the shed for 6 months. Or until I get curious, probably around March. 😁

Next two planned are a cream ale, I'm going for a smash with pilsner malt, crystal hops and kolsch yeast. And, something I'm more excited about, a first gold and jester 'crumble' this will have lots and lots of crystal malt, mashed high to get some body and using liberty bell, going for about 5% abv.

once it gets 2 weeks in the utility it's off to the shed for 6 months. Or until I get curious, probably around March. 😁
I left my Baltic Porter (both times) 12 weeks, so to be fair it'll probably be in good shape by March and continue to mature afterwards (wonder if my Brett Porter will be drinkable by then 🤣🤔).

Next two planned are a cream ale, I'm going for a smash with pilsner malt, crystal hops
One of those styles that's piqued my interest but never made. I used Crystal hops in a pseudo-Helles once, it was good 👍

And, something I'm more excited about, a first gold and jester 'crumble' this will have lots and lots of crystal malt, mashed high to get some body and using liberty bell, going for about 5% abv.
Sounds interesting. Am I imagining it or do you use First Gold quite a bit? Planning to use some myself in my next brew actually.

I left my Baltic Porter (both times) 12 weeks, so to be fair it'll probably be in good shape by March and continue to mature afterwards (wonder if my Brett Porter will be drinkable by then 🤣🤔).

One of those styles that's piqued my interest but never made. I used Crystal hops in a pseudo-Helles once, it was good 👍

Sounds interesting. Am I imagining it or do you use First Gold quite a bit? Planning to use some myself in my next brew actually.

Yeah I'm doing that swap thing that @Alastair70 has organised. To be honest I've always been put off by the 'cream' bit of a cream ale but have now realised that theres no cream in it. I'm going for more of the pre-prohibition era version, slightly happier.

Yes I like first gold a lot, you get a bit of a marmalade flavour which is nice. It's my favourite british hop, jester sounds nice and I've not used it before. I saw someone mention a similiar recipe on another thread and thought it sounded nice.

Latest posts

Back