PilgrimHudds Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Clipper for the first time recently for a hazy pale ale dry hopped with 125g Cashmere. Not tried it yet but seemed promising out of the FV?

Yes, I think it'll end up ok. Foolishly I hadn't considered that it would end up hazy though! Just think the 2nd IPA would have suited it more. But you're right, think the yeast itself seems pretty good. 👍

While waiting on my hops to brew my Golden Ale for the swap I thought I'd brew cml's tropical English, I've had this waiting in the wings for a month or so and not had that much time to get a brew on. Anyway, slight change to the fermentables on cmls website using up some lager malt.

4.3 kg otter
1kg lager
300g caragold

Mashed at 65 for 2 hours or so, brought to boil.

15g Admiral @15
15g tropical England mix @15
15g tropical @10
25g tropical @5
25g tropical @1

Pitched cml Atlantic and plan to dry hop 130g tropical on day 1 for 14 days.

Og 1058.

While waiting on my hops to brew my Golden Ale for the swap I thought I'd brew cml's tropical English, I've had this waiting in the wings for a month or so and not had that much time to get a brew on. Anyway, slight change to the fermentables on cmls website using up some lager malt.

4.3 kg otter
1kg lager
300g caragold

Mashed at 65 for 2 hours or so, brought to boil.

15g Admiral @15
15g tropical England mix @15
15g tropical @10
25g tropical @5
25g tropical @1

Pitched cml Atlantic and plan to dry hop 130g tropical on day 1 for 14 days.

Og 1058.

FG 1010, giving it a hefty 6.3% abv, pleased so far though, a really nice fruity aroma and flavour. Also surprisingly given that I forgot protofloc, dry hopped on day one and used a medium floc yeast it's crystal clear.

FG 1010, giving it a hefty 6.3% abv, pleased so far though, a really nice fruity aroma and flavour. Also surprisingly given that I forgot protofloc, dry hopped on day one and used a medium floc yeast it's crystal clear.
I'll be interested to hear what you make of that hop mix once it's ready to drink.

And as far as haze vs. crystal clear goes, frankly it's a mystery to me too, despite all the science I read. That Inspiration Pale Ale of mine you tried recently, I didn't do anything clever or different and yet it came out with a nice looking (so I thought) and stable haze. Yet others where I dry hop early and expect I might get some haze still drop clear!

I'll be interested to hear what you make of that hop mix once it's ready to drink.

And as far as haze vs. crystal clear goes, frankly it's a mystery to me too, despite all the science I read. That Inspiration Pale Ale of mine you tried recently, I didn't do anything clever or different and yet it came out with a nice looking (so I thought) and stable haze. Yet others where I dry hop early and expect I might get some haze still drop clear!

I'm still on my British hop mission, i've not tried any of the hops in this one other than Jester. I emailed Buxton last month to ask what hops they use in 'Brithop' and they replied ( i'd have to dig out the email) but i'd like to give that a go soon.

Slightly frustrating isn't it, I mean it looks great, but nothing like what I thought it was going to end up like. 😂

With Christmas coming I thought i'd brew a dark Saison again. Slightly tweaked from the last one due to not having the required quantity of Rye, thought I was going mad as I couldn't find the 2nd 500g bag but remembered that i'd used it on a previous brew....

4kg pilsner
500g kg rye malt
250g choc
250g sugar

Mashed for a few hours while I went out at 63c.

25g Target @60
30g Bobek @10
20g Mandarina @5

Hops are a bit random, just using a few packets up.

Pitched CML Wallonia at 25c, not used it before.

IBU 29

19l in the FV, OG 1054

Slightly tweaked from the last one due to not having the required quantity of Rye, thought I was going mad as I couldn't find the 2nd 500g bag but remembered that i'd used it on a previous brew....
Probably for the best, rye malt is still on my list of things I'm never brewing with again after lots of exciting E4 error codes followed by wet & dry-ing the scorch marks off the bottom of my brew kettle! aheadbutt

Probably for the best, rye malt is still on my list of things I'm never brewing with again after lots of exciting E4 error codes followed by wet & dry-ing the scorch marks off the bottom of my brew kettle! aheadbutt

Ahh well I didn't mention the fact that I went off down the lane to cut a few branches during the boil and when I got back I had an E4 message, grrr. There was a fair bit of scorched **** on the bottom.

Ahh well I didn't mention the fact that I went off down the lane to cut a few branches during the boil and when I got back I had an E4 message, grrr. There was a fair bit of scorched **** on the bottom.
I'm glad to know is not just me who's cursed then!

Actually, just after I last used rye I read something about how you're meant to do a rest at 50degC (don't quite me on the exact number) to stop it going so gluey and sticky.

So having read that I'm curious, but probably still not curious enough to try it again!

(FWIW I had the same problem with the fancy Crisp Hana malt I used not looking ago, and that did have a complicated step mash!)

I'm glad to know is not just me who's cursed then!

Actually, just after I last used rye I read something about how you're meant to do a rest at 50degC (don't quite me on the exact number) to stop it going so gluey and sticky.

So having read that I'm curious, but probably still not curious enough to try it again!

(FWIW I had the same problem with the fancy Crisp Hana malt I used not looking ago, and that did have a complicated step mash!)

Ahh yeah I remember you posting something about that before. To be fair I was in the near future going to attempt a rye ipa so I will defo try that!

You can imagine the deep sighs coming from pilgrimhudds utility room, the bottles are washed, dried and star sanned, equipment ready and laid out, sugar dissolved and boiled. All that remained was to get the fv from the fridge, opened up to find a bleddy great ice cube of the sort that hit the titanic. Bottling postponed till tomorrow then....

A question, will this have killed the yeast. It wasn't all ice, more a big block floating in the middle. Any ideas?

You can imagine the deep sighs coming from pilgrimhudds utility room, the bottles are washed, dried and star sanned, equipment ready and laid out, sugar dissolved and boiled. All that remained was to get the fv from the fridge, opened up to find a bleddy great ice cube of the sort that hit the titanic. Bottling postponed till tomorrow then....

A question, will this have killed the yeast. It wasn't all ice, more a big block floating in the middle. Any ideas?
Probably not, is it completely frozen? To be safe it might be worth pitching a couple grams of dry yeast in if you have some.

Probably not, is it completely frozen? To be safe it might be worth pitching a couple grams of dry yeast in if you have some.

That's an idea... no not completely frozen, it was definitely floating, the beer is hopefully 5% so it wasn't just alcohol, there was a few litres of unfrozen beer too.

If I was to add some yeast, you think to each bottle or sprinkling on the top tomorrow morning maybe? I'll bottle tomorrow night as I'm on a day shift tomorrow.

That's an idea... no not completely frozen, it was definitely floating, the beer is hopefully 5% so it wasn't just alcohol, there was a few litres of unfrozen beer too.

If I was to add some yeast, you think to each bottle or sprinkling on the top tomorrow morning maybe? I'll bottle tomorrow night as I'm on a day shift tomorrow.
I would sprinkle it in the bottling bucket and mix with your priming sugar. Or you could sprinkle in the fv in the morning if you put the sugar in the bottles directly.

First Gold Bitter brewed today!

4.5kg Otter
200g Light Crystal 60l
100g Medium Crystal 100l
200g Biscuit
50g Choc

Mashed at 66c for an hour

10g Challenger @60
20g First Gold @30
25g First Gold @15
50g First Gold @Flameout

Pitched CML Atlantic at 20c, it was going to be S-04 but realised it was a year out of date and didn't want to chance it.

IBU 38 OG 1049

With Christmas coming I thought i'd brew a dark Saison again. Slightly tweaked from the last one due to not having the required quantity of Rye, thought I was going mad as I couldn't find the 2nd 500g bag but remembered that i'd used it on a previous brew....

4kg pilsner
500g kg rye malt
250g choc
250g sugar

Mashed for a few hours while I went out at 63c.

25g Target @60
30g Bobek @10
20g Mandarina @5

Hops are a bit random, just using a few packets up.

Pitched CML Wallonia at 25c, not used it before.

IBU 29

19l in the FV, OG 1054

Bottled this one up yesterday, an fg of 1004 making it 6.5%, nice dark brown colour, pretty clear. An almost liquorice taste to it at the moment which is quite nice. We'll see in a month or two! 🍺

And..... after an extended cold crash due to a mini break in London I bottled up my First Gold Bitter, I had a stinking cold while bottling so I have absolutely no idea what this tastes like. It was surprisingly murky out of the FV but seems to have cleared a bit already (bottled Sunday). FG 1010 which makes it 5.1%.

I could have sworn I had a bag of First Gold that had been hanging around for ages, but I can't find it! I reckon I probably threw them out.

Might still go for it with Styrian Goldings and EKG, though.

Latest posts

Back